Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2003, 04:19   #1

Renaming s/v

When bought our boat this winter, it has a name we really don't like. The boat was built in 1981 and has had five owners and four names. When we closed on the boat we deciced to rename her Parcae. We have a ceremony for renaming the boat but we can't find are some good choices of fonts. We looked at sailnet and some are ok. Trying to find some other sites, if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Jane
rakuqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2003, 19:04   #2

Boat lettering

If you type the "Go" words 'vinyl lettering' and hit Enter, you will reach many pages of sites for the subject. Perhaps you can find what you're looking for among them.

A few years ago I needed to re-do the name on my boat. The original was small and too plain. The signmaker dialed up his computer and printed (cut) the vinyl in about 5 minutes. He wanted more than I was willing to pay to have him come to the yard and "hang" the sign. He told me how to do it -- just spread a little dish detergent on the transom, peel back the paper from one end and let the vinyl touch the detergent; to which it will adhere. Continue peeling the rest of the backing paper and gently adjust the placement of the vinyl -- it slides easily on the detergent.

When you're satisfied with the placement, carefully blot with frequently changed paper towels to absorb the dish detergent and work any bubbles to the nearest edge. That's it.

My name was on a sheet that measured 12'X54". I was terrified at the outset. It took only about 15 minutes from start to finish. Was I thrilled. It still looks great today.