Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2018, 12:13   #16

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC
Re: Removing Through Hulls

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveinung View Post
Have anyone tried applying (lots) of heat? Assuming the glue won't hold up well, and the throughhull will take a lot if it's of metal.
I have two to remove this weekend...
Unless it was a steel hulled boat I'd advise against too much heat, resin doesn't like it.
I'm trying the remover liquid and steady pressure first, if that doesn't work I'll use the sawzall to notch them and then pound out. I have the time to let the 5200 miracle remover to soak so I'll try it first. I've made custom pullers in the past, usually just a piece of plate steel, a piece of threaded rod, 2x4 pieces as spacers on the outside of the hull and then steady pressure. If you don't have the time then cutting the pieces in quarters and pounding is probably the next one to try. I've done that in the past with cutlass bearings, bushings and a through hull or two. Grinding the end off would be difficult on my boat, the through hull is recessed slightly from the hull surface so I would have to be extremely careful grinding.
But you never know, when all else fails.....
I ordered the miracle liquid, I'll let you know how it works.
Gotta get back to pounding on the boat.
Cheers.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 11:51   #17

Replaced two 2" plastic transducers one speed, one depth, using the hole saw method last week, 2-1/8" hole saw. The speed log was a little challenge due to no center for guide drill. Ended up cutting hole in 1/2" board and holding up to hull to guide hole saw until enough cut in hull to steady hole saw. Each took about 5 minutes per transducer. Cleaned up with sanding drum on drill and applied epoxy to seal hull laminate. When cured applied preferred sealant and installed.

For metal transducer I would think a smaller hole saw would still work to allow easier way to collapse remainder left by cutting in sections as discussed earlier post.
gulfstar37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 14:22   #18
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

I ground off my thru-hulls, but one has to be very careful not to generate too much heat - grind a bit, pause and cool with water, then grind a bit more. Having said that, my hull did not have recesses so that they mounted flush and I suspect that will eliminate that method.

Good luck!

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 09:09   #19

Thanks guys for all the suggestions.
I currently have the miracle bond release agent soaking the 5200, I'll give it a try with the release agent and a home made puller first, if that doesn't work, I'll use the release agent and a big hammer.
If that doesn't work I'll try the sawzall to cut slots since I've done that in the past, if that doesn't work I'll try the grinding method.
If that doesn't work......
If all else fails I'll use a hole saw.
Then, when I install the new through hull I am definitely not going to use 5200, even though I will never have to replace this through hull as long as I own this boat I couldn't in good conscience do that to the next owner. Wouldn't want someone cursing my name to Neptune.
Old 29-04-2018, 09:13   #20

By the way, the old depth sensor only had a 1" hole, it had to be mounted from under the boat and had a shaped housing made in a teardrop shape. It was an old Datamarine piece, which still worked but is not compatible with the new system. When I removed it the shaped housing was full of water.
I'll have to do a little hole saw and resin work anyway to make the hole for the new housing.
Old 29-04-2018, 09:21   #21

I did 9 in 2 days a few months ago. Took a few hours to figure it out, but ended up using a 8" piece of rebar (can also use wrench or screw driver) on the inside of the thru hull, with a ratchet strap hooked over it running out the through hull. Ratchet to a steel cradle next to us, and also car bumper depending on angle. This opened up a 1/4" gap around the thru-hull. Then use the claw on a metal hammer to pry it out (use piece of plastic/wood to keep the hammer from marring the hull). Was able to get all 9 out in a day with this method.
MyersVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 09:41   #22

Is it plastic or bronze. Take a hacksaw blade and cut a slot in it. If bronze, yes just a bit of heat and 5200 comes right loose.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 14:47   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Is it plastic or bronze. Take a hacksaw blade and cut a slot in it. If bronze, yes just a bit of heat and 5200 comes right loose.
Bronze.
Too bad I have to remove it, the new speed sensor is the same dimension but the top of the through hull has a different design and the sensor will not screw onto it or seal correctly.
The problem with the adhesive sealant is that it was pushed up into the inside of the hole and almost to the top of the wood backing piece inside the hull.
I've let the sealant release soak for two days and will try pulling it tomorrow, if that doesn't work then I will start with the destructive removal suggestions.

Tags
hull