Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 18:19   #1

Boat: simpson 12
Removing Non-skid Deck Grip

Hi!
Im new to the forums and this is my first (of probably many) posts. Ive just bought myself a Simpson 11.66 catamaran in need of a lot of love and am in the process of giving it exactly that. In preparation to get some big bits of deck rot cut out and repaired before repainting ive removed all the hardware from my decks and am now looking at how to go about removing the deck paint that has been painted EVERYWHERE.... Now ive been told I should just get rid off all the loose stuff and paint straight over the top, but im a bit more of a perfectionist than that and want to redo all the edges so theres some nice clean paint around all the fittings etc and this means removing, completely, a lot of deck grip paint... The deck is ply with epoxy.

Ive tried a wire brush on a grinder, and well, that made the deck paint nice and clean, but thats about it. as the paint got hot it started to get really rubbery so im not sure how a sander is going to go, i think maybe it will just get clogged disks - a lot.

Sooooo suggestions?? (besides a lot of hard work, i already know thats part of the solution!)

Thanks! Nic
surfynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 20:08   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Removing non-skid deck grip

I'm in the middle of removing rubberized nonskid from a GRP deck.
It is a rubberized sheet which has been set in an adhesive.
This tool is working absolutely great!
I am using the blade attachment and it's like giving the deck a haircut.
You put the blade under the edge and shave off a bit.
After 3 or 4 passes, cut off the loose piece with the same blade and repeat.

HarborFreight sells them.
Chicago Electric Power Tools
Multifunction Power Tool
Item #67256

Here's an ebay link:
Chicago Electric Variable Speed Oscillating Multifunction Power Tool on eBay!

Just get one, you'll love it!

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 20:32   #3

Boat: Trapper 300

maybe a power planer would work.
heron237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 20:44   #4

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

We used heat guns and putty knifes to strip the non-skid decks of a non-profit boat I was crewing on a couple of years ago.

It worked well and does not leave the gouges that a sander or other machinery does.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 22:02   #5
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfynic View Post
Hi!
Im new to the forums and this is my first (of probably many) posts. Ive just bought myself a Simpson 11.66 catamaran in need of a lot of love and am in the process of giving it exactly that. In preparation to get some big bits of deck rot cut out and repaired before repainting ive removed all the hardware from my decks and am now looking at how to go about removing the deck paint that has been painted EVERYWHERE.... Now ive been told I should just get rid off all the loose stuff and paint straight over the top, but im a bit more of a perfectionist than that and want to redo all the edges so theres some nice clean paint around all the fittings etc and this means removing, completely, a lot of deck grip paint... The deck is ply with epoxy.

Ive tried a wire brush on a grinder, and well, that made the deck paint nice and clean, but thats about it. as the paint got hot it started to get really rubbery so im not sure how a sander is going to go, i think maybe it will just get clogged disks - a lot.

Sooooo suggestions?? (besides a lot of hard work, i already know thats part of the solution!)

Thanks! Nic
The usual many variables here. If your deck coating is not treadmaster but gums up when it gets hot, it is probably kiwigrip or similar. A PITA to grind but fairly easy to peel off with a heat gun and scraper. Or it could be something else. I'd try heat and a scraper first, after masking carefully-don't fool yourself you can get all kinds of gouges with a scraper. If it doesnt scrape easy-kiwigrip peels off like latex paint-then go to a softpad sander with 36 grit imperial and a 5" DA for the corners. It'll come right off. What are you recoating with? It matters for how you approach the prep...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 06:29   #6

Hi guys, thanks for the advice. I had been thinking about the heat gun, is it ok on the epoxy thou? I might be able to find out the paint the last owner used, if I do I'll post on here.

As for what I'm going to put on next I'm not sure, I have been looking at lots but it's soo hard to know what to use! I want something rubbery that's soft of your feet... What might I need to take into consideration prep wise? I know that might be a loaded question thou, hence I was trying to take it one step at a time as my boat is a big job.

Keep the advice coming as this is my first boat and need to learn from the learned!
Old 26-04-2012, 21:03   #7

Re: Removing Non-skid Deck Grip

ok, so just to update if anyones reading. What i ended up doing was gently used flapper disks on grinders to get the really hard bits off been really carful not to go too deep then with an orbital with 40grit paper i went over the whole thing.

it took me a while but i got it to a point i was happy with and now im filling and sanding getting it ready to paint. massive job but shes coming along

thanks for your feedback!
Old 26-04-2012, 22:26   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Heat guns work really well. If the paint's on epoxy just get it hot enough to blister but not turn color, and you should be fine. If the epoxy gets too hot it'll get gummy but won't loose it's bond.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0144.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	395.0 KB
ID:	40472  
Old 26-04-2012, 23:35   #9
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfynic View Post
Hi guys, thanks for the advice. I had been thinking about the heat gun, is it ok on the epoxy thou? I might be able to find out the paint the last owner used, if I do I'll post on here.

As for what I'm going to put on next I'm not sure, I have been looking at lots but it's soo hard to know what to use! I want something rubbery that's soft of your feet... What might I need to take into consideration prep wise? I know that might be a loaded question thou, hence I was trying to take it one step at a time as my boat is a big job.

Keep the advice coming as this is my first boat and need to learn from the learned!

If you want something rubbery and soft you should probably go with either kiwigrip or treadmaster. Two very different approaches. Kiwigrip would be the cheaper approach, it is a thick rubbery paint you apply with a textured roller to create the non skid pattern. Many stand by it but I don't like it personally. I think it's hard to keep clean and feels wierd on the feet. Also doesn't look great. Treadmaster is sheets of a thick rubber material with a nice non-skid pattern on one side. You make up patterns of your deck and cut the treadmaster to fit and then epoxy it in place on your deck. It is a great product but substantially more expensive than kiwigrip. The big drawback is that when it does wear out it's a real bear to remove and replace. It does look really good when well done though. I have also seen some truly awful amateur attempts at treadmaster. Kiwigrip requires a higher level of prep than treadmaster but with all the patterning and cutting I'd say a kiwi job is actually much faster as well as cheaper in the materials department.

Treadmaster Marine - the very best alternative to wooden boat decking

http://www.kiwigrip.com/
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	419Mkjjt-6L__SS500_.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	40474   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_01.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	40475  

Name:	IMG_02.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	40476   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_14.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	40477  

Name:	IMG_15.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	40478   Click image for larger version

Name:	F1010015.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	40479  

Name:	F1010034.jpg
Views:	960
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	40480  
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2012, 06:35   #10

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Treadmaster is really good stuff for a non-skid and looks real nice BUT is expensive. It cost me $400+ worth of material (3 years ago) just to do my cockpit.

Another alternative would be Flexiteek by Yacht Deck. It's an artificial material that looks & feels good but I don't know the cost and they would like one of their reps to install it.

Link>>> Yacht Deck/Flexiteek

My cockpit with treadmaster during the install. Also put some between the winches & aft for standing & entrance.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2961.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	40484   Click image for larger version

Name:	pedestal&tiller.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	40485