Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2022, 12:55   #1

removing many types of deck stain

This gel coat deck has been through a 1 year refit (oil, grease, dirt) and now been sitting outside for a few weeks. Photos are after a power wash, which isn't touching the stains, especially those from from the foliage and standing water.

Is this something that the sun and salt will eventually bleach back to white/ what's the best approach to cleaning it up quicker? I have accidentally had good luck in the past with letting Ospho type chemical sit on it overnight, but, that would be a lot of Ospho.

markxengineerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 13:22   #2

Boat: Lagoon 380
removing many types of deck stain

On our boat, if nonskid cleaner doesnt do the trick, the sun eventually will. Except for rust stains and on/off does those. The boat just got out of the yard too and now dealing with bottom paint sandblasting residue that got into lots of odd places, including the refrigerator 🤯
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 13:33   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: removing many types of deck stain

Mr Clean Magic Eraser pads, which have oxalic acid, are wonderful.
Or you could mix up a batch of powdered oxalic acid solution and soak the decks in that.
It's wonderful stuff, and pretty safe to use.
Old 06-11-2022, 14:20   #4

Boat: Oyster 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Mr Clean Magic Eraser pads, which have oxalic acid, are wonderful.
Or you could mix up a batch of powdered oxalic acid solution and soak the decks in that.
It's wonderful stuff, and pretty safe to use.
Yep, I've had good luck with the method above. I've been using West Marine gel coat cleaner (the one with Oxalic acid in the ingredients) with good success. You can also find Oxalic acid cleaners in the local hardware store, Barkeeper Friend comes to mind. Also works acceptionally well on wood stains.
Looking at your photos I believe this will work wonders.
Good luck,
Ray
Tsuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 14:54   #5

Try this cleaner first. Invented by a Florida detailer, it's been my favorite cleaner for years. Has a gentle abrasive and I believe some oxalic acid because it pulls out rust stains. Works well on stainless rails too. But it's also a great dirt and mildewc leaner too leaving behind a bit of shine. No need for gloves or eye protection like the more powerful cleaners.

Where this doesn't work try the magic eraser with a strong muriatic acid (like Barkeepers friend) - and be sure to let it sit for 10 minutes to do it's thing. And if that doesn't work, try On&Off and/or acetone - but wear lots of protection and lots of ventilation.

https://sobeyama.com/index.php/shop-...uart-p51944616

Get a dozen microfiber rags too:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(no relations to the company - just been cleaning my boats for 40 years and never found anything better for routine gelcoat cleaning like you show in your pictures.)
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 16:58   #6

Boat: DeFever Raised Pilot House 49

Just to be clear:
1) Mr. Clean Magic Erasers do not contain Oxalic acid. They are wonderful pads but just a fine abrasive in reality.
2) Bar Keepers friend does not contain Muriatic Acid (HCl). It contains Oxalic acid (like on/off FSR, Y10, wood bleach …)
As a first step; soap (Dawn, Orpine etc. plus ordinary bleach plus sunlight aided with Magic Erasers for difficult stains removes 80-90%. Second step: an Oxalic based stain remover on stubborn areas.
Don’t underestimate the sun’s bleaching power!
Old 06-11-2022, 17:20   #7

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

You mentioned a power wash, but have you tried regular old scrubbing?

One of these and a hose got my deck 98% clean after a year’s accumulation of mildew, moss, leaves, boot prints, etc. No oil, but dish soap should do that. Try it before you go out and buy anything.

wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 23:30   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I use products from a company called “ Nautic Clean “ , their J02 is great at lifting deck stains including rust leaf debris very aggressive and hard on the skin !
Old 07-11-2022, 00:06   #9

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Someone said magic eraser and my wife wants to second that. It’s also the only safe way to remove TOE NAIL POLISH “ sorry. The clay bar by mothers pull crap deep from pours. I use Mothers on boats. Strip the boat Dewax it. Step one Mothers including clay bar, surface sealer. Then wax. There is a forth step if your arms survive. Lots of folks wax but never take off old wax. I’ve changed a yellow boat back to original cream white. For not slip Aurora boat works came up with a non slip wax. It get sticker as it gets wet and looks great on top of mother restoration products.
Wax is minimal UV protection. The sealer and deep cleaning prevent cell loss.
Spider poop is special here. I’ve had power boats in covered slips with no spiders. Spider ban from Captain Phab. The company is a boating family from Peterborough where water skiing was invented. All their cleaning and engine products work perfect. They have a cleaner to remove the gray stains. I’m pretty sure it’s the same as me clean scub pads.

Just about every fibreglass restoration topical product does not include pulling the dirt out will trying to add oily polymers. Total waist of time
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 08:10   #10

Boat: Moody 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyb2 View Post
You mentioned a power wash, but have you tried regular old scrubbing?

One of these and a hose got my deck 98% clean after a year’s accumulation of mildew, moss, leaves, boot prints, etc. No oil, but dish soap should do that. Try it before you go out and buy anything.

coupled with some comet or soft scrub (bleach). Old school no power washing here.

the bar keepers friend is good as well. and the starbrite deck cleaner worked well for me as did spray nine and simple green.

nearly 10 years on the hard

followup with some compound and wax
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9433.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	266924   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9539.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	439.1 KB
ID:	266925  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_04011.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	434.4 KB
ID:	266926   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0389.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	408.8 KB
ID:	266927  

marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 12:39   #11

Thanks for all the suggestions, I had a few of these products on hand, and am making progress. I will post some photos when done, hopefully they are as dramatic an improvement as the above.
markxengineerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 12:58   #12

Boat: Morgan 382

I use FSR cleaner, which is Oxalic Acid, but in a gel, so you can brush it on, let it sit for a bit, and hose off. Usually no scrubbing at all. It makes short work of tannins from leaves and other organic stains, and some rust stains.

I have found nothing that will remove the oil stains on my boat. I've tried several acids, Acetone, soaps, etc. I think removing the stained paint (not gelcoat in my case) is the only option.
Old 07-11-2022, 15:42   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

i would think about trying coca cola-- let it sit for a few minutes then hit with a brush- another trick is to put bleach with a paper towel over it (wet with bleach and leave overnight) amazing what that can take out. finally on the brush i have found that a soft bristle brush works much better than a hard bristle-- i know it sounds counter intuitive but it works... fair warning- the bleach trick and coca cola work to remove stains in floor tile that have been there for years withoug damage- i hhave not tried them on the boat but i think they would have a good chance of working- the bleach ususally has to stay on overnight and does not work without the paper towel to keep the area wet. just my thoughts good luck.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 16:11   #14

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
i would think about trying coca cola-- let it sit for a few minutes then hit with a brush- another trick is to put bleach with a paper towel over it (wet with bleach and leave overnight) amazing what that can take out. finally on the brush i have found that a soft bristle brush works much better than a hard bristle-- i know it sounds counter intuitive but it works... fair warning- the bleach trick and coca cola work to remove stains in floor tile that have been there for years withoug damage- i hhave not tried them on the boat but i think they would have a good chance of working- the bleach ususally has to stay on overnight and does not work without the paper towel to keep the area wet. just my thoughts good luck.
Funny you mention coke. I was just saying to myself, “looks like this thread is done and no one mentioned coke”. Coke cleans everything including rust in your tools.
Old 07-11-2022, 16:18   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

If you want to lighten the boat should you use Diet Coke?
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck