Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2019, 10:12   #1

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan
Removing Fulton lock from motor

I bought my boat used, and one of the maintenance items is to replace the wood under the motor mount at the back. The wood is rotten. I noticed there is a fulton motorlok on the back.
Previous owner says the key for it is lost, so I will have to find some way to get it off.
I could use dremel or angle grinder, but with the motor there, and traces of gas around I think this would be a bad idea.

The problem is compounded because there is not much room underneath it, barely room to get a key in (if I had it), so I cannot drill out the lock.

One youtube video showed a guy use a screwdriver in the end and pry it down, which will break off the lock inside, but there is no room underneath to do this.

I tried drilling a hole in the top at the end, and using a screwdriver and hammer to try to do the same thing, but this is not working. It needs to be pried down, not hammered down.

This is the video I watched.

Any thoughts on how to get this off?
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 18:47   #2

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan
Re: Removing Fulton lock from motor

I covered the motor with a wet towel, and used a dremel to cut the lock off. Went through about 5 cutting wheels due to "quick lock" failures on the dremel wheels, but it finally came off.

It was such a perfect match for this boat that I ordered a new one. No way anyone could get this thing off without cutting it and making a whole lot of noise.. or having the key of course.

Will be sure to keep a spare key someplace for it.

Replaced the rotten wood with a piece of cutting board. This will last forever, and it is white so matches the boat.

Nice to finally get that task out of the way.
BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor