Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2011, 11:52   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Removing 'Bristol Finish' from Teak

I am so disappointed with the "Bristol Finish" brand of coatings for my boats bright work. I spent untold hours prepping and applying, following the companies intructions to the letter only to have the product start to fail after one year in NY climates. 7 coats were applied supposidly the "Tropical" standard that was supposed to last 5 years without attantion, what a joke.

When the company was conatacted of course it is my fault and I must have done something wrong in the application of the product. I even tried following the instructions to repair and recoat the failed areas and a year later the repairs are ugly yellow blotches.

Has anyone had any success removing this "Crap" from their boat ???
Old 25-10-2011, 12:03   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Re: Removing "Bristol Finish" from teak

Sorry, no help on the removal. I have recently reached an epiphany -- a sort of truce with the brightwork gods. Some might call it surrender. Cetol and disposal brushes. It ain't Hinckley, but it is getting done, looks good (for now) and hopefully the Cetol won't look too bad in the long run.
Old 25-10-2011, 12:48   #3

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya

I used this stuff in PA with same result. I think the winters are a little to harsh for Bristol. I got out my super duper pressure washer to get it off. Worked pretty good just try not to dig into wood. I tried a bunch of solvents to no avail.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 14:05   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Sorry, no help on the removal. I have recently reached an epiphany -- a sort of truce with the brightwork gods. Some might call it surrender. Cetol and disposal brushes. It ain't Hinckley, but it is getting done, looks good (for now) and hopefully the Cetol won't look too bad in the long run.
I had reached the same truce with the brightwork god's and usually only use oil now, however the lady in my life didn't like it and taled me into doing the cap and rub rails bright.
Old 25-10-2011, 14:31   #5

Boat: csy 37
Re: Removing 'Bristol Finish' from Teak

if you're talking teak here, i would like to recommend starbrite tropical teak oil. not teak oil. TROPICAL teak oil.

when we bought our 25 year old boat seven years ago the teak had gone to s**t. we sanded and cleaned it, then put on 2 coats of starbrite tropical teak oil. after four years we put on one more coat. been three years now and i think it's about ready for one more coat.

this stuff is simply great and i can't understand why every other lazy sailor like me doesn't use it...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 14:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
if you're talking teak here, i would like to recommend starbrite tropical teak oil. not teak oil. TROPICAL teak oil.

when we bought our 25 year old boat seven years ago the teak had gone to s**t. we sanded and cleaned it, then put on 2 coats of starbrite tropical teak oil. after four years we put on one more coat. been three years now and i think it's about ready for one more coat.

this stuff is simply great and i can't understand why every other lazy sailor like me doesn't use it...
I have tried many oils but not this one, will definately give it a whirl after such a strong endorsement.
Old 25-10-2011, 22:00   #7

Boat: csy 37

here's a picture of the teak caprail about two years after we had applied the starbrite tropical teak oil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	teak.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	32967  
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 03:45   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
here's a picture of the teak caprail about two years after we had applied the starbrite tropical teak oil
Impressive, any oil I have ever used turns dark after a couple of months.
Old 26-10-2011, 05:19   #9

Boat: 42' vagabond

It's true about oils. Down here in florida I tried Teakqua for two years on the decks and it would turn black . it was mold living in the teak , eating the oil. i now use cetol natural teak with once a year coatings.
chuckg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 05:30   #10

Boat: Formosa 51 Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to rcmpegasus
I have used Bristol a lot, my results have been great. Utilized it on my Taft rail three years ago and it still looks good. A couple of minor flaws where it has lifted at a seam. This has all been in the tropics, so have no idea how it holds up in a temperate climate.

It is by far the best product I have found for teak exposed to lots of sun and high temperatures.
Old 26-10-2011, 07:27   #11

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
I am so disappointed with the "Bristol Finish" brand of coatings for my boats bright work. I spent untold hours prepping and applying, following the companies intructions to the letter only to have the product start to fail after one year in NY climates. 7 coats were applied supposidly the "Tropical" standard that was supposed to last 5 years without attantion, what a joke.

When the company was conatacted of course it is my fault and I must have done something wrong in the application of the product. I even tried following the instructions to repair and recoat the failed areas and a year later the repairs are ugly yellow blotches.

Has anyone had any success removing this "Crap" from their boat ???
The family in a slip near us ended up using a furniture scraper to remove the stuff after having an experience similar to yours. (Nothing else seemed to work.) Since observing them, I have also reverted to using a furniture scraper to remove old finishes and have found that with a shape blade, on can make quick work of most finishes.

When it came out, we began using Cetol Natural Teak--two "colour coats" over the raw wood followed by three "clear" coats and have been very pleased with the results (and have received a number of compliments and in several cases, disbelief that the finish was Cetol). Here in SW Florida we add another clear coat at about 9 month internvals which is done quite easily.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 08:42   #12

Boat: Vagabond 42

Callisto lives in St Martin where there is a LOT of sun. We have used Cetol for years and have been delighted. A Vagabond has lots of exposed wood and I like Callisto to look really good. Cetol gets us complements in ever harbor we anchor in.
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 11:17   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
The family in a slip near us ended up using a furniture scraper to remove the stuff after having an experience similar to yours. (Nothing else seemed to work.) Since observing them, I have also reverted to using a furniture scraper to remove old finishes and have found that with a shape blade, on can make quick work of most finishes.

When it came out, we began using Cetol Natural Teak--two "colour coats" over the raw wood followed by three "clear" coats and have been very pleased with the results (and have received a number of compliments and in several cases, disbelief that the finish was Cetol). Here in SW Florida we add another clear coat at about 9 month internvals which is done quite easily.

FWIW...
Thanks for the suggestion, I was hoping someone had a reccomendation for a chemical that might removed thE Bristol Finish as I don't want to do any sanding if it can be helped, to much wood has been removed by prior owners,
Old 26-10-2011, 11:43   #14

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37

I use a scraper in tandem with a heat gun and the old finnish comes off in sheets quite easily. Just don't dwell in one place too long with the gun.
Old 26-10-2011, 12:16   #15

Heat gun doesn't dent Bristol, as unpleasant as it will be I plan on calling the company.

Tags
surface finish