Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2012, 08:16   #1

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2
Refurbishing a Mast

I have a 1968 built sailing yacht,
The mast is a single spreader heavy wall thickness aluminum mast.
I am looking at 35 thousand Dollars/Euros/Pounds to replace it with a new replicated mast,

My question is,
What would be the benefits of refurbishing the one i have which would entail
dismantling, sandblasting or removign the paint,
replacing all the internal pulleys etc and rewelding old welds or assessing quality of the mast itself etc once paint is off.

I am not sure how much this will cost etc as opposed to the 35 thousand a new replicated mast of new material.

The aged aluminium mast i have is heavy duty compared to anything i have seen now,

Any insight would be appreciated
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:05   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: refurbishing a mast

If the mast extrusions are in good structural shape and you are only talking about "refitting and refinishing" it...it wont be anywhere near as expensive as the 35,000 you mention...but I have to say that number seems very high...is that USD?
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:18   #3

You can refurbish it fine. Are you able to repaint yourself? Strip it bare, (maybe not the mainsail track,) sand it well (doesnt have to be completely stripped if some paint is adhered well) Look for any cracks etc. Inspect the mast top sheaves and bearings. Replace the wiring inside. Pretty easy as boat projects go. the hard part is that many fasteners may break off in the aluminum. You may need (or at least want..) to get bad holes welded up etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:34   #4

I agree with above. I refurbished the mast on my 1967 Morgan 34. I used Awlgrip and it worked beautifully. Just be sure you have a really good welder who knows his stuff if you start welding on the thing.
xiabbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:08   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
If the mast extrusions are in good structural shape and you are only talking about "refitting and refinishing" it...it wont be anywhere near as expensive as the 35,000 you mention...but I have to say that number seems very high...is that USD?

I can handle the welding as such,
I work in the industry,
I was thinking of completely pulling it apart removing the track etc
either blasting the paint off or removing it via SS brush wheel
doing Dye penetrant and Ultrasonic inspection etc.
I have access to this through work.
The 35000 was Euros,
I want to replace all the pulley wheels and tracks etc.and rewire it as well.
I was not sure whether to remove all the old rivets or not and replace them, I guess if they arent loose dont touch them,
as drilling them out to replace them could/would enlarge the holes etc already there. of course if theres any that need replacing id replace them,

I am trying to work out whether if it costs 10 grand to refurb as opposed to 35 grand to renew
Would it be better to replace the mast for how many years a new mast will last OR would a third of the cost for example last a third of the time,
Or will it last just as long as a new one.
I have restored the boat over the past 3 years,
I am from Australia originally, Living in the Netherlands and wanting to sail the boat back home via the Caribbean. So i am wanting to gaurentee the strength and capability of the mast for the voyage,
The pricing of 35 grand is also being compared against the 50 000 US dollars quoted to ship it back from Rotterdam to Sydney
Old 06-02-2012, 11:23   #6

Boat: 33ft sloop

If you live in the NL area it can' t cost you even 10.000 Euro's to get your mast refurbished.
Apparently there are other issues. I agree a 43 foot is a bit different from the regular 35 footer. But I am curious who surprised you with the 35K quote. My 50 foot mast has been quoted for less than a 1K, everything include.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:31   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

By my converter 35gs euros is 46g USD...that just seems crazy expensive!!
If you have access to the tools/equipment to rebuild the mast at your place of work I would do that...I cant see you spending more than 5gs if you do it all your self...I'm no aluminum guru, but I haven't really heard of an aluminum mast "timing out"
I'm thinking your prices include standing rigging as well??
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:06   #8
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauticalnomad View Post
I can handle the welding as such,
I work in the industry,
I was thinking of completely pulling it apart removing the track etc
either blasting the paint off or removing it via SS brush wheel
doing Dye penetrant and Ultrasonic inspection etc.
I have access to this through work.
The 35000 was Euros,
I want to replace all the pulley wheels and tracks etc.and rewire it as well.
I was not sure whether to remove all the old rivets or not and replace them, I guess if they arent loose dont touch them,
as drilling them out to replace them could/would enlarge the holes etc already there. of course if theres any that need replacing id replace them,

I am trying to work out whether if it costs 10 grand to refurb as opposed to 35 grand to renew
Would it be better to replace the mast for how many years a new mast will last OR would a third of the cost for example last a third of the time,
Or will it last just as long as a new one.
I have restored the boat over the past 3 years,
I am from Australia originally, Living in the Netherlands and wanting to sail the boat back home via the Caribbean. So i am wanting to gaurentee the strength and capability of the mast for the voyage,
The pricing of 35 grand is also being compared against the 50 000 US dollars quoted to ship it back from Rotterdam to Sydney

I've done a bunch of these, it's really a pretty easy job. I use an Aircraft stripper to strip the stick down to bare metal, one of the only jobs I like to use a stripper on. Aircraft stripper takes Awlgrip and primer right off, saves a ton of work. Then clean it up, blast it bright, etch and alodine, prime and paint. Easy.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 14:29   #9
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

I endorse the DIY views already expressed and I would definitely remove all rivets as you need to see what is under the fitting, corrosion wise. Far more corrosion found between fittings and mast than elsewhere.

Re-riveting is not an issue and you will want to re-apply the Telgel anyway.

Removed correctly, the holes will not be damaged (or bigger); frozen threaded fasters are another matter .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 15:13   #10

Boat: Cal 48 Wainui

I was quoted $4500 to strip and repaint a 60' mast and 23' boom from a boatyard.
Wainui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 16:06   #11

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, mate. Wainui's quote above was similiar to ours. We did it ourselves in the end. $300 each way for the crane to remove it and re-install our 70 foot mast. $200 for paint, sandpaper, etc. Most of our fitings were screwed on and already isolated with teflon backing material, so it didn't take long to strip the hardware off. Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DIYMast.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	37067  
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 17:06   #12

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Im going to replace the mast , rigging, chainplates and mast step in a c&c 42 landfall for 20000 u$ , well i forget to say , in st marteen....
35000 eu seems to me very expensive!!
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 19:17   #13

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I've done a bunch of these, it's really a pretty easy job. I use an Aircraft stripper to strip the stick down to bare metal, one of the only jobs I like to use a stripper on. Aircraft stripper takes Awlgrip and primer right off, saves a ton of work. Then clean it up, blast it bright, etch and alodine, prime and paint. Easy.

Minaret....I plan to do this next (southern) Spring. What are "Aircraft Stripper" and "alodine" and where do you get them?
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 22:48   #14

These guys are the company,
It wasnt a direct quote for my mast as he hasnt seen it yet, But i sent him photos and explained that i was wanting to give them my mast and they give me back an exact replica.
Formula Marine. F2 Advanced Sailing Technologies.#

The guy said he had one there that he had just finished and it cost around the 35 thousand euro mark.
And yes thats with rigging as well.
Although i see this to be around the ball park figure for what i want etc.

I guess the aircraft stripper would be the go. to expose everything first,
I did have a survey on it last year and the boat yard rigger reckoned that the spreaders needed replacing he could tell that the metal was worn down.

I dont see how looking visually can tell the wall thickness of the aluminium.
Which i question the purpose of a survey on the mast and rigging when all they do is look at it etc. Especially when its painted..
Old 07-02-2012, 00:29   #15
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
Minaret....I plan to do this next (southern) Spring. What are "Aircraft Stripper" and "alodine" and where do you get them?

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Welcome to KleanStripAuto.com

DGR Industrial Products, Inc. :: Specialty Coatings :: Conversion Coatings :: Alodine Chromate Conversion For Aluminum Alloys :: Henkel Alodine 1201 Chromate Conversion Coating

Awlgrip Alumiprep 33

http://www.pyacht.com/Awlgrip-Application-Guide.pdf

Work your way through those links and you should come out informed. I like to acid etch with Alumiprep 33, Alodine, prime with 545, sand out 400 grit, and topcoat Awlgrip. The links are some examples of places these products can be acquired, but none of them are hard to find when you know what you're looking for. Particularly read the Awlgrip application guide section on surface prep for aluminum.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast