Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2021, 13:39   #1

Boat: 1984 Passport 42 pilothouse cutter
Refrigeration recommended practices

I stumbled onto a YouTube video the other day where he added a water cooled condensor to an air cooled compressor.

I'm having issues with my unit now. Very tempted to do the same thing and upgrade the compressor to a bd50 or bd80

I did get the epifony that I could build a refrigerator unit myself which would allow me to build it how I need it. Was planning on getting a second refer unit as a separate freezer unit. Realising I could make a dual setup that is more compact and can take advantage of cooling ducting ect. Use a pair of shell in tube water cooled condenser and larger air-cooled condensers. In theory this could build up a nice compact package.

Not an immediate thing as I need to rebuild the refer box with good insulation but it's possible I can experiment with the one I have while I'm waiting to do that. Mostly just curious about possibilities and best practices.

Any tips or best practices for refrigeration?
Bd50 Vs BD80
Insulate the compressor tubes to the refer?
Best thermostat?
Water in shell Vs coil water condensor

In theory you could add a extra water cooled condenser and run fresh water to it ala ozifridge
alaskanviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 09:07   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Refrigeration recommended practices

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanviking View Post
I stumbled onto a YouTube video the other day where he added a water cooled condensor to an air cooled compressor.

I'm having issues with my unit now. Very tempted to do the same thing and upgrade the compressor to a bd50 or bd80

I did get the epifony that I could build a refrigerator unit myself which would allow me to build it how I need it. Was planning on getting a second refer unit as a separate freezer unit. Realising I could make a dual setup that is more compact and can take advantage of cooling ducting ect. Use a pair of shell in tube water cooled condenser and larger air-cooled condensers. In theory this could build up a nice compact package.

Not an immediate thing as I need to rebuild the refer box with good insulation but it's possible I can experiment with the one I have while I'm waiting to do that. Mostly just curious about possibilities and best practices.

Bd50 Vs BD80
Insulate the compressor tubes to the refer?
Best thermostat?
Water in shell Vs coil water condensor

In theory you could add a extra water cooled condenser and run fresh water to it ala ozifridge

The smart thing to do buy a well designed unit after considering size of area to be refrigerated, total heat resistance of box insulation, worst case cursing climate conditions and what temperature do you want to maintain inside box.

Bd50 Vs BD80 or larger compressor will depend on evaporator size available and box daily heat load.

Insulate the compressor tubes to the refer? Not likely but will depend on design application.

Best thermostat? Most reliable thermostat is a manual one but these days they are more expensive than electronic.

Water in shell Vs coil water condense? There are many reasons why water cooling these small compressor systems is a mistake. With a properly designed one tenth HP air cooled condensing unit there is no need in mobile refrigeration where water cooling is not constant temperature medium to use water.

In theory you could add a extra water cooled condenser and run fresh water to it. Bandied with its own bad points is not a solution for in-correctly installing or selecting an inefficient condensing unit.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, refrigeration