Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2014, 16:41   #1

Refrigeration Install

I'm installing an Adler/Barbour cu100 and in the manual it states to generously lubricate the refrigerant couplings with refrigeration oil. Anybody know what it is and where I can buy it? I've googled it and searched here and have come up empty.

Thanks for any info.
slowshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 17:57   #2

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'
Re: refrigeration install

Enersyn MP S 220 BP Refrigeration Lubricant made by BP. I couldn't find a place to buy small amounts. You could check out Kollman-marine.com. He's the fridge guru. He could help you.
Old 21-08-2014, 18:38   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
Enersyn MP S 220 BP Refrigeration Lubricant made by BP. I couldn't find a place to buy small amounts. You could check out Kollman-marine.com. He's the fridge guru. He could help you.
Thanks crazy - I will check the Kollman site. When I search I get results for 5 gallon drums of oil or stuff that sounds like it's for cars. I thought that these Adler/Barbour units were popular with do it yourself installations, so hopefully someone will be able to point me in the right direction with this issue.

Everything else has gone pretty straight forward. Maybe Adler/Barbour expects a refrigeration tech to make the final connections. I have an email out to them as well so hopefully I'll know more soon.
Old 21-08-2014, 18:41   #4

There is no discernible difference between refrigeration oil for a car AC unit and a 12 volt refrigerator unit. Get it at the local orielies or Napa auto parts.

Make sure you get polyolfatic (SP?) oil used in 134A installations and you will be fine.

Thanks,
Guy
:-)
Aikiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 18:53   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikiguy View Post
There is no discernible difference between refrigeration oil for a car AC unit and a 12 volt refrigerator unit. Get it at the local orielies or Napa auto parts.

Make sure you get polyolfatic (SP?) oil used in 134A installations and you will be fine.

Thanks,
Guy
:-)
Thank you very much for that info Guy - it's much appreciated. I'll check with the folks at Napa tomorrow - if they have it, I should be able to finish up tomorrow. Thanks again!
Old 21-08-2014, 20:56   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Mineral Oil. Just be VERY careful with how much you use. It's not compatible with many of the refrigerants, but is in tiny fractions. For simple lubrication of a joint, it's not a big deal. Just don't use more than enough to coat the surface. No extra.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 11:11   #7

Boat: csy 37

Great unit. I installed my cu-200 just by reading the manual and following the instructions. Ten years later it still works flawlessly.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 12:10   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

As noted, from any auto parts store, just make sure it is the right compatible type for your AC system's gas type. Often it is an "oil charge" of oil with gas in the same can, in which case you'd bleed some out into a cup and then dab it on.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 14:43   #9

Re: Refrigeration Install

I just thought I'd give a quick update in case someone else is ever looking for this oil. I did go on Kollman's website, and he states that the correct oil is Polyol Ester oil. I was able to find this at my local Autozone - about 12 bucks for a pint.

As it turns out, it may have been unnecessary to track it down. Dometic replied to my email and said that 3 in 1 oil or any light machine oil would work as well.

Thanks to everyone for the help!
Old 22-08-2014, 15:08   #10

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

So there is a use for 3 in 1 after all. Who'dathunk!
Old 22-08-2014, 15:15   #11

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Are we allowed to remove our old Alder Barbour? The refrigeration guy hasn't been following up with us, so we will do a last round of trouble shooting this weekend. Unless we find something, we will be ordering both the compressor and the evaporator, as both are looking a bit rough around the edges.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigeration