Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2020, 21:00   #16

Re: Refitting tired interior vs why fix it if it's not broken

Thanks for all the replies.
It is one of the few boat that meets my criteria within my region, and I need one that is under 30 feet because the place I intend to keep the boat have limitation.
I can have hired yard to work on it, I'll see what I can do.
Wckoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 06:25   #17

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

My experience is that changing the interior design of a boat by someone other than a very skilled craftsman/designer is a recipe for lost boat value. The original design is usually the best use of the interior space.

Clean her up and enjoy her.
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 06:30   #18

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

The varnish can be rejuvenated by using the appropriate stain of Howard's Restore-a-Finish and a wax. Your interior looks pretty good in the photos. No boat interior is going to look show room perfect for long.
Phantom Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 06:38   #19

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wckoek View Post
It is one of the few boat that meets my criteria within my region, and I need one that is under 30 feet because the place I intend to keep the boat have limitation.

Guess you haven't used hired yard hands much to do work for you. You may find some good workers in better yards ($$$), but in general found doing the work yourself is always better.
If you don't have a sewing machine could see getting someone to make new cushions. Other than that a small boat usually has relatively simple systems and easy to work on. Going through the electrical will be one of your biggest projects. If you are not handy yet, it's a good time to learn.

Best suggestion, besides use the boat first then make mods, was by Trente. Clean the boat out, then take a look at it. Much easier to do any work w/all the stuff out of the way.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 08:13   #20

Boat: Catalina 320

It's cheaper to buy a new boat then pay someone to refit an old one.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 08:22   #21

Boat: Freedom 28 Cat Ketch

If you want to freshen it up a bit, take a look at Howard's Restor-A-Finish. https://www.howardproducts.com/product/restor-a-finish

Coupled with their Feed-N-Wax, I've had results that were nothing less than amazing. I used 0000 steel wool to apply the restorer because there were remnants of old varnish, etc.

Search YouTube for the product name-you'll see what I'm talking about.

Nice looking boat!
Jdeuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 10:13   #22

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

are you sure the interior, that doesn't look that bad (other than cosmetics), is the first in your priority list when considering a boat? How about safety?, skin fittings, rigging, engine, sails, plumbing, electrical etc?
Old 22-10-2020, 14:06   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wckoek View Post
Hi, Wckoek,

The only things wrong with having a yard do it are
1) expen$ive, but can sometimes work out okay, however, much yard work comes out not okay, and not on schedule. Advise very specific work contracts, if you choose this.

2) if you do as Trente Pieds did with his wiring, you will learn how to do wiring, gain better understanding for dealing with something when it quits working, and ultimately be more comfortable on the boat. Hiring it done only teaches you about spending money. Wherever possible, doing your own work is a learning experience, and makes going forward easier.

Doing things like varnishing can be done at home on a weekend during winter. Take the nav station table outside, and sand it there. Or, you can use citrus stripper, if you want to take it all the way back and start over. Only take off the varnish, sometimes all the timber you have is a thin veneer on plywood, so deep sanding will get you into trouble. Then use about 240 grit, to lightly sand all the surfaces to a hazy appearance. Clean with a rag moistened with turpentine. Wipe with a tack cloth. Apply the first coat of good quality varnish [ask around the low end yacht clubs or marinas]. Let dry. Sand lightly and clean and tack cloth. Go for six coats. It will look lovely. It is not rocket science, nor tradesman's secrets; patience and time sees you right. (But is costly if you buy it.) You may experience it as sort of meditative, and satisfaction as it comes right. Gloss varnish is more durable than matte. Yes, I would varnish that one item. But no more cosmetics till you've sailed the boat for a few months.

With a new boat, it works out better for folks who use it a lot before they start modifying it.

Ann, cruising with Jim full time since 1989

Tags
interior, refit