Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2016, 10:02   #1

Refitting new salon table recycled plastic

So my girlfriend and I close on a 38' Leopard cat on Friday and one of the things that she insists must be done is a refit of the salon table. We initially thought we would just have the local carpentry shop make us one out of teak but, after reading about how unsustainable most teak harvesting seems to be, we decided that maybe we should go with an eco-friendly alternative. We were thinking some type of recycled plastic material but thus far haven't found any particular products that seem useful for a salon table. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
jvbarrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 10:25   #2
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
Re: refitting new salon table recycled plastic

Composite Decking, Railing, Fastening & Lighting | TimberTech

would take a little creative carpentry but not too difficult to make a saloon table with. iv'e used the stuff before on outdoor fencing. really durable stuff. havn't actually used it on the boat yet but seriously considering it for exterior wood trim and possibly some inside stuff. I have 100% teak interior as well.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 10:54   #3

Hard to say without knowing the shape etc. But keep one thing in mind: Use your boat a bit before changing anything.
Also, you may find you use the cockpit table 90% of the time. We did.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 14:21   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

You probably couldn't find a material less sutable than plastic decking to use as a table. It has almost no structural strength so you have to put a support grid underneath to keep it from flexing. It's also very heavy and thermally unstable.

If you want something that is renewable then go with a farmed wood.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 08:56   #5

I've built tables of ash and cherry, both availible, sustainable, and grown domestically. Also look at recycled lumber, lots of used stuff available with character such as resawn barn wood, etc. And then please sell your table so someone else can recycle it.

And I too would use the boat for a season before changing anything not related to safety . Congrats on the new boat .
Rough Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 09:23   #6

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

What do you really mean by "refit"?

If you really mean "refinish" perhaps you can "simply" redo the veneer, and farm raised teak veneer is readily available (hard to find "wild" teak anymore.)

And has already been mentioned, if a total redesign/rebuild is desired, there are certainly a number of other wood species that could be nicely used, several of which have similar appearances to teak.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 10:07   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Refitting new salon table recycled plastic

I've done a few tables using wood sandwich construction, & they've come out quite well. The tops were either quality plywood or a thin strip plank DIY wooden panel. Laminated on top of some core material. With either a thin wooden underside, like the top. Or several layers of glass cloth comprising the table's bottom. So that you wind up with a customizable, light weight, "wooden" table.
And if you go with strip planks for the table's top, you can vary the types of wood that you use for various sections, so there's a nice pattern to things.

The really trick part, is that you can put gorgeous decorative wooden inlays, made of various different species of wood, into the table's top surface. That, or "inlay" other decorative items or motifs into it. Simply by employing an epoxy resin or even lacquer, over top of them. Some people will set photos into table tops, or checker boards, etc.
And System Three Resins makes several products expressly for this. Like Mirror Coat, & a few others.

It's essentially the type of construction which is detailed in this post, only the laminate stack is inverted. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2194622
And the how-to's of such construction are covered, including how to strengthen such a composite table as much or as little as you desire.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 10:21   #8

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I had TAP Plastics cut 1/2" HDPE for sink and stove covers... You'd need structural support, maybe just fiddles, but you'd gain acres of food prep space...
Old 22-08-2016, 11:46   #9

Boat: Sirius 21

Try this company. They have a lot of products that might work.
http://www.plasteak.com/
Gary
gsherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2016, 16:18   #10

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lavezzi 40

Our table on our cat was beautiful and we needed to find a way to preserve it. We decided to cover it in a thick clear plastic film, elasticized underneath around the base. Kept it as new!
PaulMarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 05:45   #11

Sorry for the delay in responding. There are some great suggestions on here. I'm leaning towards checking out ash and cherry or else going with Uncivilized's method. I apologize for the lack of clarity in saying "refit." The current salon table is fashioned out of an old pallet--the type you would find behind Home Depot. While I certainly admire the previous owner's eye for re-purposing, I really think the boat deserves something better. The current table is flimsy (you can't lean on it), has no finish, and the shape renders it useful for nothing other than sitting down and resting your hands while you read a book. So, in short, it must go--regardless of what replaces it. Thanks again for the help!!
jvbarrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2016, 09:20   #12

Check out plastic outdoor tables at big box stores. There are many. Inexpensive and should work well for the cockpit. You can just use the top.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 06:30   #13

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

So, I was talking to a friend of mine who told me that he goes out on craig's list, and searches for "teak".... he bought a HUGE table and chairs (for outdoor use). It was 8+ feet long, and solid teak. It was $150. He's also bought other tables.. chairs, etc. This is a great way to buy teak. Since it has already been harvested, you are, essentially, repurposing it. If it is table with planks, you can have a carpentry shop piece it together and plane it, (my dad makes gorgeous cutting boards by doing this) . Or, if you want something made out of alternate woods... search craig's list for dining room tables. you can have it cut to the shape you want, and trimmed out with anything that you like.

One last suggestion. I designed and built a gorgeous custom built in cabinet that spanned the whole distance of my dent. I wanted the cabinetry painted white to brighten the room. But I wanted something unusual, and beautiful for the top. I bought a discounted pack of unfinished oak plank flooring (tongue and grove) from home depot. I paid about $50 for the pack. I installed that and finished it, and it is absolutely gorgeous. I used a fancy decorative molding as the edging.
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 06:51   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
(my dad makes gorgeous cutting boards by doing this)
He doesn't make cutting boards out of Teak, does he? Teak is toxic and not suitable for use in food preparation, storage and serving.

If so, I'd stop eating at his house.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2016, 07:41   #15

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
He doesn't make cutting boards out of Teak, does he? Teak is toxic and not suitable for use in food preparation, storage and serving.

If so, I'd stop eating at his house.
no... I was just saying that he uses that technique. glueing (holding the boards together with clamps while it dries to keep it tight).. hand planing, and sanding. he does not use teak for that. Sorry if I implied that.
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refit, salon