Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2016, 08:49   #16

Re: Refitting new salon table recycled plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
So, I was talking to a friend of mine who told me that he goes out on craig's list, and searches for "teak".... he bought a HUGE table and chairs (for outdoor use). It was 8+ feet long, and solid teak. It was $150. He's also bought other tables.. chairs, etc. This is a great way to buy teak. Since it has already been harvested, you are, essentially, repurposing it. If it is table with planks, you can have a carpentry shop piece it together and plane it, (my dad makes gorgeous cutting boards by doing this) . Or, if you want something made out of alternate woods... search craig's list for dining room tables. you can have it cut to the shape you want, and trimmed out with anything that you like.

One last suggestion. I designed and built a gorgeous custom built in cabinet that spanned the whole distance of my dent. I wanted the cabinetry painted white to brighten the room. But I wanted something unusual, and beautiful for the top. I bought a discounted pack of unfinished oak plank flooring (tongue and grove) from home depot. I paid about $50 for the pack. I installed that and finished it, and it is absolutely gorgeous. I used a fancy decorative molding as the edging.
Yes, several years ago even Costco was selling big outdoor teak sets pretty cheap. My daughter has one. The thing is huge and also has 8 teak chairs with it and a teak cooler. At a yard sale this type of thing would be a real bargain.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refit, salon