Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2020, 20:31   #151

Boat: Alberg 30
Re: Refitting an Alberg 37 Complete Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailnParadise View Post
Been super busy with the new baby! But finally getting the toilet and shower hooked up tomorrow and moving aboard Monday. Trying to solve the mosquito and no see um issue for for the baby. Thinking of putting a thermocell in the cockpit and maybe one by the v berth hatch. This should keep them away during the day. Close up everything and just run fans at night. Any other suggestions?

Whether on the hard or when you eventually move to anchor, mosquito netting is a must have. You can get it cheap from army navy surplus or amazon. You can simply drop it over openings such as the companionway or you can construct an enclosure using 3/4 or 1/2 inch pvc bowed over your boom. You’ll want to think about that anyway because when you are at anchor you can use the same set up for your shade.
SVSOLITAIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 20:35   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVSOLITAIRE View Post
Whether on the hard or when you eventually move to anchor, mosquito netting is a must have. You can get it cheap from army navy surplus or amazon. You can simply drop it over openings such as the companionway or you can construct an enclosure using 3/4 or 1/2 inch pvc bowed over your boom. You’ll want to think about that anyway because when you are at anchor you can use the same set up for your shade.

Awesome suggestion. Ill go over to the surplus store tomorrow. I was thinking of a screen on each opening but this is much easier and as you said can be used for the shade
SailnParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2020, 23:15   #153

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

You could consider making the cover from shade cloth. It won't keep no-seeums out, but neither will normal fly/mozzie screen... and it will keep the mozzies away and give shade at the same time. And at least here in Oz, it's cheap as chips!

Jim

And also consider a tiny bed net for the child's crib... or whatever spot you have earmarked for him (her?).
Old 01-11-2020, 03:22   #154

A 20-inch square box fan laid flat over the forward hatch works wonders.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:19   #155

Boat: a sailing boat

The only way to sort out mosquitoes and other small nasty bugs is to anchor further offshore.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 18:57   #156

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Search on Amazon, they have a bunch. Search "boat hatch screen cover." And one of these maybe too...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zapper.png
Views:	59
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	226281  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 20:31   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
The only way to sort out mosquitoes and other small nasty bugs is to anchor further offshore.

b.

That doesn’t help me much over the next month of my refit tied to the dock
Old 03-11-2020, 19:13   #158

The thermacell has been working great. One benefit is that it’s 12v. All those other options require shore power. Currently trying to get use to cruising power consumption so trying to stick with things we would be able to use then. I have a 1000 watt inverter charger but dont want any AC wiring on the boat so I will more than likely not use it. There seems to he simpler inverters that dont require being hard wired.
Old 03-11-2020, 19:16   #159

I finally installed the manual toilet in the head. Had an issue flushing it until i realized the valve was switched to the macerator outflow and not the black tank. Unfortunately that happened after a pretty hefty bowl movement from my wife so once I switched it i had a bit of a clean up!

But other issue im having is that shelf its sitting on has no underneath access. So I have to use lag bolts. But even with an impact wrench I couldnt get them to seat more than an inch or so. Any suggestions? I was thinking of just sealing it to the shelf somehow.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:44   #160

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailnParadise View Post
But other issue I'm having is that shelf its sitting on has no underneath access. So I have to use lag bolts. But even with an impact wrench I couldn't get them to seat more than an inch or so. Any suggestions? I was thinking of just sealing it to the shelf somehow.
Sounds like this is a common problem, another thread about this lately with ideas and pictures:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...et-241953.html
Old 10-11-2020, 18:54   #161

Hi everyone! Sorry about the lack of updates and photos. I will make a point of posting more over the coming days with photos. I hace completed a lot of the minor interior stuff and will be replacing the bulkheads in the coming days. The original plan was to splash and do the rest in the water but where we are currently is a lot more isolated and quiet which is good for us with the baby. I want to spend the smallest amount of time as possible in the water at the marina. Since they dont have pump out and the water is awful. Im planning a couple of weeks to get the deck repainted and putting the mast up. Im learning these skills as quickly as I can. And its been a wild ride with a newborn and getting use to the small space. But I have to say we love all of it so much. Didnt have (kinda still dont) the water running due to piping and pump issues. And have had to use a camping solar shower plus boiling some water to take showers. But finally got the solar panels up and the controller installed. Then was the 30 year old fridge. We were so happy once we got off the phone with NovaKool support and it started right up. Next up is the propane line to the stove to get out cooking away from the extension cords we currently have running. I’ll post a longer update in the next day or two with pictures!
Old 10-11-2020, 21:02   #162

Boat: Nordic 44

Do you mean replacing the actual bulkheads? That is major work and very important for the structural strength of the boat. If your answer to my first question is yes do you really plan to be living aboard while doing this?
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 21:40   #163

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
Do you mean replacing the actual bulkheads? That is major work and very important for the structural strength of the boat. If your answer to my first question is yes do you really plan to be living aboard while doing this?

Just the wood paneling that hides the wiring and provides framing for the settees. I may be mistaken that these are called bulkheads. We don’t live in the US so we’d have to stay in a hotel or an airbnb (of which there are none within 25 miles). That would add a rental car. So no matter the mess we will be living aboard. We are far from fussy so we are fine. And the baby doesn’t care one way or the other! Humans have created so much comfort and convenience that living without it is deemed unsafe or unwise. But to us all that matter is that we are happy. We can do without running water and barely enough space to sit down for a while to free us from this society of forced unhappiness.
Old 30-10-2021, 08:33   #164

hey...looking to purchase a 1967 Whitby 37 Ft from Larsen Marine in Chicago. All looks good except i am wondering about placement of fuel tank. They have put the new tank under starboard hatch in what appears to be the storage area. It is not centered on the boat, resulting in over 300 lbs being placed on one side. I am of the mindset that while expensive, tanks should be placed where they were designed to be, and not modified locations. My understanding is the tank should have been located directly above keel under saloon floor, or under cockpit directly in front of rudder post quadrant, both locations centered.
rbusby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2021, 08:44   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbusby View Post
hey...looking to purchase a 1967 Whitby 37 Ft from Larsen Marine in Chicago. All looks good except i am wondering about placement of fuel tank. They have put the new tank under starboard hatch in what appears to be the storage area. It is not centered on the boat, resulting in over 300 lbs being placed on one side. I am of the mindset that while expensive, tanks should be placed where they were designed to be, and not modified locations. My understanding is the tank should have been located directly above keel under saloon floor, or under cockpit directly in front of rudder post quadrant, both locations centered.
I have to agree with you. Seems someone did a poor job there.
Is the original tank still in place? It may be difficult to remove/replace. One option is a slightly smaller plastic fuel tank (or two) inside the old one in the bilge if you can cut the top off the old one.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberg, refit