Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2013, 20:24   #121
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Refitting a Compass 47

Lol, yeah I figgered. Era of the iPad and all that.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:11   #122
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

I had a few hours before work to get some stuff done. Finished putting the forward stateroom back together, well all but two pieces of trim. I think it needs another coat of varnish though. I have three days of heavy work and will get back on the project Monday. I will admit I am still riding high from the 5 minutes of boat moving.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 17:47   #123
cpa

Today I finished installing the trim in the forward stateroom and then moved everything down below for the next stage of the project. We are about to begin re-gel coating the port side decks and the cabin top.

The nice thing about the Compass is that the builder used only two types of fasteners for everything joinery related; that makes it really easy to keep track of them. They all go into the same bucket. Once I had moved all the supplies and had access to the areas of the boat I began disassembling the cabinets to facilitate the removal of the stanchions and genoa track. Then I went ahead and removed the old A/C and refrigeration unit that was built into the galley. Then out came the crusty old microwave.

Here are some pictures of the work so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00583.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	396.5 KB
ID:	56196   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00584.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	341.8 KB
ID:	56197  

Name:	CAM00585.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	410.7 KB
ID:	56198   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00588.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	418.2 KB
ID:	56199  

Name:	CAM00589.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	56200   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00590.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	56201  

Old 04-03-2013, 17:59   #124
cpa

Once we get the the deck hardware stripped we will start the fairing process. On the starboard side of the cabin top, it came out looking pretty good. For the rest of the boat I would like it to be as close to prefect as possible.

We have been sanding with my random orbital and then following up with a small hand block. I was thinking about getting one of those fancy fairing boards. Does anyone have any suggestions on a decent and reasonably priced one. After the bottom job and re-power the finances are in the red.
Old 04-03-2013, 18:30   #125
cpa

Another view of the motor starting. We now have a total of 2 hours on her.
Attached Files
Old 04-03-2013, 19:45   #126
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa View Post
Today I finished installing the trim in the forward stateroom and then moved everything down below for the next stage of the project. We are about to begin re-gel coating the port side decks and the cabin top.

The nice thing about the Compass is that the builder used only two types of fasteners for everything joinery related; that makes it really easy to keep track of them. They all go into the same bucket. Once I had moved all the supplies and had access to the areas of the boat I began disassembling the cabinets to facilitate the removal of the stanchions and genoa track. Then I went ahead and removed the old A/C and refrigeration unit that was built into the galley. Then out came the crusty old microwave.

Here are some pictures of the work so far.

Now you're getting serious! Sounds like you're removing all deck hardware. Are you shooting new gel? I'm doing quite a bit myself. Gel is so much better than paint to me. Can't wait to see your shoot!
Old 04-03-2013, 19:55   #127
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Once we get the the deck hardware stripped we will start the fairing process. On the starboard side of the cabin top, it came out looking pretty good. For the rest of the boat I would like it to be as close to prefect as possible.

We have been sanding with my random orbital and then following up with a small hand block. I was thinking about getting one of those fancy fairing boards. Does anyone have any suggestions on a decent and reasonably priced one. After the bottom job and re-power the finances are in the red.

Super budget-

17" x 2-3/4" Sanding Board : Amazon.com : Automotive

The old stand by for rigid boards. I prefer Stikit to Hookit.

Amazon.com: 3M HOOKIT HAND FILE 5744 05744 Hook It Long Board Sander: Everything Else

Cheap flexi board-

Flexible Sanding Board : Amazon.com : Automotive

These are totally awesome, huge bang for the buck. If you buy only one thing for fairing, I recommend it be this set. Add the teardrop for an even better kit for cheap.

DuraBlock Sanders AF44L 7 pc DURABLOC KIT DURA-BLOCK SANDING PRODUCTS : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 05-03-2013, 16:32   #128
cpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Now you're getting serious! Sounds like you're removing all deck hardware. Are you shooting new gel? I'm doing quite a bit myself. Gel is so much better than paint to me. Can't wait to see your shoot!
I wish I were shooting. We have to roll it and then sand. I am using brushable gel coat and patch booster in the last coat. I am having a hard time getting it on thick enough, so I am attempting to do it in two stages, with sanding in between.

Stage one: I roll on 3 coats followed by a coat with the patch booster and then sand after a few days.

Stage two: Roll on another 4 coats (final w/patch) then heavy sand to 1000 and polish/wax.

All I know about gel coat is what I have read on the 'net and what the guy at fiberglass coatings here in St. Petersburg told me. If you have any pointers I would love to hear them.

I like working with gel coat and I am not a great painter, so the ability to sand and buff out my mistakes is appreciated. My last boat had a new all-over paint job when I acquired her, and every scratch on it killed me. Repairs will now be a snap. I just wish that the the hull was not painted over. I would love to gel coat there, too.
Old 05-03-2013, 16:51   #129
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Why no shooting? Is it the marina you're in? The way you are doing it is a nightmare, it'll take four times as long like that. Please let me help you here, gelcoat is my thing. You certain you can't shoot? You can gear up for pretty cheap if you are only doing a section at a time. Depending on how much boat you're doing a $50 gun and a few compressor rentals will save you loads of time. I can talk you through it even if you've never shot anything before.

Which patch booster are you using? Is it Cobalt? No surface seal? Or is it in the booster?

My color matching cart. I've matched many hundreds of gallons off it. I shoot a whole lot of gel. Used to run a spray booth at a large industrial facility too, shooting production gel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	420.1 KB
ID:	56276  
Old 05-03-2013, 18:13   #130

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Minaret...are you talking about spray-painting gelcoat?
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 18:33   #131
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
Minaret...are you talking about spray-painting gelcoat?

Sure, of course.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:50   #132
cpa

Quote:
Why no shooting? Is it the marina you're in? The way you are doing it is a nightmare, it'll take four times as long like that. Please let me help you here, gelcoat is my thing. You certain you can't shoot? You can gear up for pretty cheap if you are only doing a section at a time. Depending on how much boat you're doing a $50 gun and a few compressor rentals will save you loads of time. I can talk you through it even if you've never shot anything before.

Which patch booster are you using? Is it Cobalt? No surface seal? Or is it in the booster?

My color matching cart. I've matched many hundreds of gallons off it. I shoot a whole lot of gel. Used to run a spray booth at a large industrial facility too, shooting production gel.
I will find out what batch booster I am using today when I am at the boat. I have had some bad experiences trying to spray paint through a gun. But, I would love to learn how with gel coat. Is it easier to spray than paint?
Old 06-03-2013, 07:22   #133
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I will find out what batch booster I am using today when I am at the boat. I have had some bad experiences trying to spray paint through a gun. But, I would love to learn how with gel coat. Is it easier to spray than paint?

Yes and no. It's different. Of course getting a great finish is not paramount, since you will be wet sanding and buffing it anyway. So if that was your problem shooting paint, you don't have to worry about some peel here. Rolling on eight coats to get a finish is madness. I bet you have to sand off at least half of what you put on. Prep it, squirt on three coats heavy, wet sand and buff, and you're done.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:39   #134

Boat: 1990, catalina 30' tall rig

I would love to have a step by step run down of shooting gel coat. Can you do a video or two explaining the whole process? I too have only what I have read on the net to go by, any real world video would help us all. Thanks
boatless 4 now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:57   #135
cpa

Quote:
Yes and no. It's different. Of course getting a great finish is not paramount, since you will be wet sanding and buffing it anyway. So if that was your problem shooting paint, you don't have to worry about some peel here. Rolling on eight coats to get a finish is madness. I bet you have to sand off at least half of what you put on. Prep it, squirt on three coats heavy, wet sand and buff, and you're done.
That does sound a lot better. I think I might give it a go. I am heading back to the boat after a nice lunch. Thanks for all the help.

Tags
compass