Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2011, 19:02   #46

Boat: Compass 47, G&S 25
Re: Refitting a Compass 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
Been folowing your work. This is coming up really well. She will be a beautiful boat. I get the sense you know what you're doing.
I'm very lucky in this situation. He won't admit it, but cpa up there is such a pro, and I'm damn blessed to have him in with me on this project. I had never even been on a sailboat this large before we bought the Compass.

Thank you for noticing!
Dyevochka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 19:14   #47
cpa

Boat: Compass 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
Been folowing your work. This is coming up really well. She will be a beautiful boat. I get the sense you know what you're doing.
Thank you.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 19:30   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

It's really coming along!

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 06:38   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

You guys are making amazing progress...looking great!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 07:46   #50
cpa

Thanks for the responses. I am stuck inside today with school work but hopefully will be able to throw on a coat of varnish this evening.
Old 22-09-2011, 19:39   #51

Boat: Venture 21'
We just got a trashed Vindo 40, same story as you...just awful timing... My wife is in school and we have a 21 footer in the back yard still needing a little love before we can splash her. Ive been following this thread and you guys have really given us some hope/motivation that the rehab/refit is do-able! Keep up the good and hard work and keep those pics coming!
sanjuanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 04:17   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Oh, I hope the Vindo is not too trashed, or that you find the time/skills to bring her back. They are beautiful boats!!!!

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuanman View Post
We just got a trashed Vindo 40, same story as you...just awful timing... My wife is in school and we have a 21 footer in the back yard still needing a little love before we can splash her. Ive been following this thread and you guys have really given us some hope/motivation that the rehab/refit is do-able! Keep up the good and hard work and keep those pics coming!
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 07:11   #53
cpa

Quote:
Thanks! My thoughts are no matter how dumb timing-wise it was for us to buy the boat, we will never again have an opportunity like this. If we passed it by, it would be one of those things that I regretted my whole life. I'm done with school and in the middle of my graduate program, but that doesn't necessarily mean that even when I graduate, I will ever be wealthy enough to afford a big, high tech cruising boat (I only say high tech because my last boat was circa 1969). I am glad that this post gives you guys motivation. I have been through a major restoration once before and it can definitely get tiring and stressful. When you're finished though, you'll not only have a great boat, but you will know that you bought her back from the dead. We are off to the Compass to varnish and grab a sander and then off to the G&S to do some sanding and touch up bottom painting. The G&S is now for sale and people want to see her. I also have my truck up for sale and all my old auto racing paraphernalia (slicks and drag radials), that I have been keeping just in case I very get another race car.
Old 23-09-2011, 07:15   #54
cpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
Oh, I hope the Vindo is not too trashed, or that you find the time/skills to bring her back. They are beautiful boats!!!!

Chris
I agree with you! I have always loved the Vindo 40.
Old 23-09-2011, 12:22   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa

I agree with you! I have always loved the Vindo 40.
Sbe is fairly well trashed ...sadly... It will be a miracle if we can salvage tbe teak and the forward cabin top has completely de-laminated... But if there was ever a boat deserving of a complete refit, this is her.

She has since been pulled onto the hard and my wife and I spent last weekend pulling out moldy cushions, bedding and the previous owners stuff. Next is to build a tent and dry her out...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110923_121902.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	31979   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110923_122006.png
Views:	420
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	31980  

Name:	ForumRunner_20110923_121948.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	31981  
Old 24-09-2011, 18:14   #56
cpa

Quote:
Sbe is fairly well trashed ...sadly... It will be a miracle if we can salvage tbe teak and the forward cabin top has completely de-laminated... But if there was ever a boat deserving of a complete refit, this is her.

She has since been pulled onto the hard and my wife and I spent last weekend pulling out moldy cushions, bedding and the previous owners stuff. Next is to build a tent and dry her out...

What a great boat. I agree that she is worth it and can't wait to see the pictures of the refit.
Old 24-09-2011, 22:49   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpa

What a great boat. I agree that she is worth it and can't wait to see the pictures of the refit.
Thanks! Will send pics as we make progress...
Old 26-09-2011, 17:18   #58
cpa

We now have the tape pulled and are left with the residual adhesive. I am giving the Kiwigrip another day or two and then we will remove what's left over. For the most part, the Kiwi grip went on fairly easily. My problem was that I put 90% if it on in one day, and in the Florida heat/sun the kiwi grip dried a bit fast. It seems that on the last area I went over using the roller, the stuff had set a little and made a different, more aggressive pattern. It can only be seen when looking from the stern, forward. It is basically a different texture every 3 feet. If I were to do it again in Florida, I would do it over a week and do 3 hours in the morning. I have quart coming to finish the bridge deck and do some touch ups. The stuff is fun to apply, so if I can't touch it up then, we can do it again (in about a year). The nonskid properties seem to be great and the texture has a nice factory look to it. Of course, now the gelcoat looks terrible in comparison and I doubt it will come out as nice when compared to the hull. Oh well I just have to keep telling myself it is not a show piece.
Next up on the deck:
Remove adhesive and compound/wax the deck areas.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3382.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	422.1 KB
ID:	32107   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3385.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	32108  

Name:	IMG_3397.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	410.4 KB
ID:	32109   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3357.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	411.6 KB
ID:	32110  

Old 27-09-2011, 13:21   #59

Boat: 34 Irwin
Great work! I too am refiting my 34 Irwin. Did the cockpit this spring paint and Kiwi grip. Loved the Kiwi grip.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1744648269.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	32142   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1838628134.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	32143  

Samantha ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2011, 13:25   #60

Boat: 34 Irwin
Now working the deck, the same,sand prime, sand, prime, sand, paint, sand paint, Kiwi grip the nonskid! Oh what fun, but looks great if I may say so!
Samantha ann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compass