Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2018, 17:05   #436
cpa

Boat: Compass 47
Re: Refitting a Compass 47

**Sorry if I am rambling or incoherent...4 hours of sleep and 10 hour work day+under the weather**

Hello Gary. I hope the survey goes well.I would love to hear more about the boat. I was on my boat all last weekend trying to come up with items that might require extra attention for your survey. Besides the typical lack of maintenance survey stuff that would apply to all boats (rot, delamination, blisters) I would say that I have not encountered anything on my C47 that I would consider to be a red flag. Maybe pay extra attention to the mast step. We have a hefty stainless support that bolts on to the structure in the bilge. An aluminum mast step is bolted on to the stainless support. I had a decent amount of corrosion on the mast step and had another fabricated for a reasonable sum. The nice thing was that there was no corrosion on the bottom of the mast. I don't really blame the boat as it had not been maintained for many years. As I said in the private message, every time I tore into something, I was pleasantly surprised. Also everything on the boat is accessible which makes maintenance a joy.

I tend to singlehand and even when sailing with crew, I hardly let anyone do anything other than hold the helm while I manage the sail handling/trim. I have not made any modification to ease in singlehandling. I have all halyards on the mast. I did install lazy jacks a month ago. They did making dropping the sail mush easier. If I need to I can sit in front of the helm and trim the main and genoa while making the slight adjustments to the helm.

My only other experience with upper 40 footers is my family's old Centurion 49 (6 years) and a few days (3-4) sailing a Swan 48 (Frers) back from Bermuda. So I am definitely not an expert on sailing near 50 footers. But I will say that the Compass is as easy to sail as most mid/upper 30 foot boats I have been on. Definitely as easy to sail as my last boat (S&S 34-no RF headsail). The Centurion was a beast and a lot of work to sail. I remember short tacking up a narrow channel and I after about maybe 5-6 tacks, I was almost physically unable to grind the genoa in. Also I was much younger and stronger back then.

On the Compass I can hoist the main 98% of the way by hand. I can strip the boat of all sails and canvas in a a little more than few hours (hurricane prep). Having to short tack is really not an issue. As for the boats performance, I would say I was pleasantly surprised. She is very wholesome and sails extremely well on all points of sail. She does not go upwind like a deep draft Swan or Centurion, but sails upwind better then I imagined she would (much better). She loves to reach in a strong breeze. She has no bad habits downwind. And sails very well in the light stuff for a cruising boat. Motoring under power is A+ as well. I can make decent speed into 25 knots on the nose and a steep chop. She has great close quarter maneuvering capabilities as well. All in all I would say that while not perfect, she is the most reasonably balanced upper 40 footer I have sailed (out of the 3). She does everything well and really has no bad habits.

I have yet to be disappointed by her. G/L and please let me know how it works out for you.
cpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 17:13   #437
cpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hi, cpa,

Top o' the season to ye!

She's really coming along well. I hope you get to enjoy her sailing, as well as working on her. Our friend here with one has also replaced some teak, in the cockpit trim.

In the Bestevaer 49 thread, Seaworthy Lass shows a picture of the marine stove she and noelex decided upon for their new boat. There is a link to the manufacturer. Replacing a marine stove is a pita, and good luck with yours.

Nice to see you back here.

Ann
Thanks Ann! I had so much fun sailing this past winter, I am now dreading the impending summer. But I guess I can finally start some more projects. I looked at the stove in the Bestevaer thread (Wow what a boat and what a thread). That stove is a work of art (boat as well). I hope all is well with you and Jim.
Old 23-04-2018, 17:13   #438

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Yeah, I think the Compass 47 is one of those secrets few know about. A singlehander friend bought one a few years back, and we went with him the first time he sailed her. I was very favorably impressed. He has had to deal with some rot out in the cockpit, but the boat was quite sound, below.

Ann
Old 23-04-2018, 17:29   #439
cpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Cpa - Yes, nice to see you posting again. This was one of the more interesting & educational refit threads for me, especially when Minaret chimed in.

The gelcoat sure looks like it came out well! As did removing the headliner in the fwd cabin (I'm assuming that's what you did). Also nice to read that you're now living onboard and getting to sail her more. In my own case, and after years of barely getting beyond the "A" list of to-dos, I knew I was making progress when I started dealing with tasks like varnish & improvements to the stereo system!

Btw, I now try & use only ethanol-free gas in my outboard, as well small engines around the house such as my chain saw, log splitter, etc. that don't get used on a consistent basis. The gas can be expensive, but you don't use much of it and it's much cheaper/less hassle than rebuilding carbs, etc.

Best of luck with the 2018 projects, and hope you keep posting.
Thanks Exile. I should start moving on some more minor projects in the next few months. I am really grateful for all of Minaret's help and guidance. After 5 years, the Gelcoat still looks as good as the day it was finished. The cockpit floor is still solid. My next major project is the topsides. The only thing that is holding me back is the complete lack of worry I have when docking. I can imagine that it will be put off for another few years. Ha. I agree with you on the ethanol free fuel. Not an issue with the outboard and have gone a few months without use. Take care.
Old 05-07-2018, 16:06   #440

Boat: Van de Stadt 36 Seal

Hi cpa, just found this thread by conincidence while looking for some material on a C47. Really outstanding work, and for sure really rewarding!

I have a question for you. Certainly when unstepping the mast and have it more or less rebuilt you must have thought about adding mast steps and obviously decided against it, what is the actual reason you didn't add them?

Best wishes, Ernest
ErnestV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 18:07   #441

Hi every body
I am a new owner(french),of Phoenix,a 1980 Compass 47.in bad shape. I need to know where is located the hull serial number.
I am looking for a new flag,maybe belgium,
and l need à photo for that. I hope some body can tell me where.
Merci
Éric
VILLANI eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 13:13   #442

Bonjour, Eric,

I sent you a PM, but in case it didn't arrive, I'm writing here, as well. Our friend with the Compass 47 did not have a hull serial number on his boat at all. He applied to the local registry in his State in Australia, who issued him with their own number, which is on a small aluminum tag, affixed now to the starboard side of the transom, just below the caprail. Perhaps whichever country you register your boat in can find a way to register your boat, even though it lacks a hull serial number.

Ann
Old 09-10-2018, 18:34   #443

Hi Ann
Sorry for my late response,no connection on océan.....
Thank you for searching.l am not sure you get this message. ...
Merci
Éric
Old 10-10-2018, 02:33   #444

Quote:
Originally Posted by VILLANI eric View Post
Hi Ann
Sorry for my late response,no connection on océan.....
Thank you for searching.l am not sure you get this message. ...
Merci
Éric
No problem, Eric, I hope you can get your boat registered wherever you want to register her, and that she brings you a great deal of pleasure.

Ann
Old 10-10-2018, 19:28   #445

Thank you for hope....
But before getting great pleasure ,l will have great work.........
Anyway, c'est la vie......
Merci
Best regards
Éric
Old 06-11-2018, 03:49   #446

I'm here! The single-handy friend of CPA with the Compass 47. Mahogany on Iroko. Great boat. Hi Ann! Hi Jim!
Panaseaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 17:09   #447
cpa

Sorry for the late reply. My hull serial number is on the starboard side of the transom just under the toe rail. Good luck with your Compass. What are your plans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VILLANI eric View Post
Hi every body
I am a new owner(french),of Phoenix,a 1980 Compass 47.in bad shape. I need to know where is located the hull serial number.
I am looking for a new flag,maybe belgium,
and l need à photo for that. I hope some body can tell me where.
Merci
Éric
Old 06-11-2018, 18:15   #448
cpa

Hello from sunny FL. Things are going well with the Compass. Doing lots of sailing and getting some projects finished. My brothers have been out at sea, so I have had few crew. Mostly sailing by myself.

I managed to replace the sail cover with one that actually fits. I went with pac. blue. I also bought a new 150% crosscut genoa (Marblehead). Having some issues with it and sailmaker is building replacement. I also nixed the inner forestay for the time being. I will reinstall it when the boat starts crossing oceans, but for the sailing I am doing (lots of solo), I can live without the tacking hassle.

I also finally tacked the cabin top handrails. This was a huge PITA but it is done and the dread is no longer there.

While I was playing with the hand rails, I also replaced the veneer on a locker in the aft stateroom. I still need to put a coat of satin varnish over the gloss. Not a perfect match, but I can live with it.

Another interesting development is that I have started to do some club racing with the Compass. I have done two regattas in the past month. Looking to build up a decent crew and start sailing in some of the more distance oriented races in the next few years. The races so far have been sailed short handed (three of us total) non-spin / cruising class.

It has been ten years since I have skippered a boat in a race and have never sailed my own boat in a race (definitely has been a goal of mine since I started racing in 1995). The action shots are from the last two races. I am very much enjoying shaking off the cobwebs and getting back in the swing of things.

So life is good / boat is good.

I hope all is well with everyone.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180923_172834.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	180252   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180908_131028.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	402.9 KB
ID:	180253  

Name:	20181011_131448.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	422.6 KB
ID:	180254   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180916_205546.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	382.7 KB
ID:	180255  

Name:	20180917_200249.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	180256   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181013_103417.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	396.6 KB
ID:	180257  

Name:	as.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	180258   Click image for larger version

Name:	dd.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	180259  

Name:	ss.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	180260   Click image for larger version

Name:	45292114_10156969559983679_785387112840036352_n.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	180261  

Name:	20180617_170015.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	422.1 KB
ID:	180262  
Old 06-11-2018, 20:14   #449

cpa: Great to see you out there enjoying the boat.

Ann
Old 07-11-2018, 23:45   #450

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Followed this post on and off right through. Remarkable job. Determination, skill and can-do. Congratulations. Very nice boat, saved from the jaws of defeat.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compass