Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2020, 19:03   #1

Boat: Contessa 32
Refinish exterior teak with Thompson's waterseal?

I do woodwork and take several wood working publications. A recent issue recommended Thompson's Water Seal or the equivalent Olympic product to seal and finish outdoor deck furniture made of teak, cedar etc. It was his experience that these products held up much better than spar varnish and other finishes commonly used.

If that is true, it might also work well on boat exterior woodwork. He contends that his refinishing cycle has been extended from one to three years. Of course, his deck chairs aren't exposed to the salt environment, but it might be worth a try unless someone has already been there, done that and it didn't work.

What do you experienced hands think?
n5ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 22:29   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Refinish exterior teak with Thompson's waterseal?

Have you looked at Sikkens Cetol HLSe?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017KQKX8...ogi&th=1&psc=1

https://www.interlux.com/en/us/boat-...e-natural-teak

coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2020, 23:12   #3

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

I’m interested to hear if anyone has experience with Thompson’s. I use Star Brite Tropical Sealer natural color and if I’m lucky it lasts about 12 moths, by which time it’s looking a bit shabby from up close. Semco lasted less than 6 moths. If Thompson’s lasts 3 years, I’m in!
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 06:22   #4

Boat: Contessa 32

Thanks Fb, I have not tried the Sikkens but will definitely look into it.

A year appears to be about average life expectancy on exterior wood protection. It seems in this high tech world, that we should have something better.
n5ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 08:59   #5

Boat: Endeavour, CC Ketch 40ft

I have used many products over the years and found the best product to keep your teak protected and looking great is Teak Guard. Easy to apply and easy to maintain. Not expensive either.
jlblan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 09:14   #6

Location: Back in Mexico cruising the northern part of Sea of Cortez
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

We have recently (last 2 years) started using Australian Timber Oil to cover our caprails and other wood on deck. It was recommended by another Pacific Seacraft owner. Formulated for outdoor teak furniture and available at hardware stores - so no 'Marine Grade' pricing.

Initially we sand to desired smoothness, usually like 120 grit, and then use 2-3 coats and sanding lightly in between coats. Seems to last a couple of years and only takes a little scrubbing with a green scrubbie to get ready for another coat.

We like the look and application process. Can't speak to longevity yet. Comes in various shades.

YMMV
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 09:28   #7

Boat: 82' Catalina 30 Mark 1

No more varnish for me.
I use Total Boat penetrating epoxy on my teak after removing all the old finish, down to bare wood.
1st coat of epoxy is thinned with acetone 25 to 50%, let it soak in and get tacky, then a second coat of epoxy full strength.
When that coat gets tacky, you can either prime it for paint, or use something like an Alwgrip epoxy 2 part wood finish.( l believe Total Boat has some good 2 part wood finishes now, but l have not used any yet).
I would let that first coat of finish harden up, then lightly sand with 180 or 220 depending on what you want, then apply a finish coat.
Sealing the teak first, provides a sound sealed base to start with that you can finish or paint.
When you seal your wood and prevent moisture from gaining access into the wood, your finishes will last a very long time.
This is my two bits worth of what l have found that works for me.
Darrel
darrelweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 09:40   #8

With jblan2. Teak Guard. Found it ten years ago haven't used anything else since. Doesn't pit, chip, peal or change color. I wish I owned part of it.
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 10:07   #9

Boat: 1998 Sealine Statesman 42ft - Twin Cummins 6BTA

A marina-mate where I keep my boat uses clear penetrating epoxy to seal wood and then vanishes over for a nice finish. This guy is a top-notch boater, and I value his advice immensely. I've never tried it, but plan to.
GeneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 10:11   #10

I make oil with tung oil and turpentine, not paint thinner. Turp is a natural wood product and smells great and has better affinity for wood than thinner. I add paste wax to the mix. It doent last long, 3 to six months but its great nonskid and the wood loves it and it stabilizes the surface and is non plastic, easily renewed and nice to work with..Fine artists have loved turpentine for generations because of its natural wood-product qualities. You want plastic you should not have real teak but a molded and tinted look-alike..

I just wish I could buy original traditional turpentine made from pine resin instead of this current by product of the paper industry we have now which is from any pulp tree, hemlocks and fir or spruce..at random. Maybe even cottonwood, who knows. Or maybe a Juniper resin could be distilled. That's the best wood with the longest resistance time to rot, fungus or decay..And you could make Gin with it on the side. )
doog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 10:19   #11

I believe Thompson Waterseal is just wax dissolved in a solvent. Had an old 5 gal container that separated into a thick wax layer. I like Cetol for exterior teak (not decking): very labor saving option.
Baba Buoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 10:25   #12

Ok, I seem to do this about once a year. The gray in teak is not decay it is bacteria poop. they like to eat teak oil, The wood looses its protective coat and the bugs get in and gray appears. If you sand it you remove wood. There is a cleaner that washes it like new if there is not varnish on it. Teak guard is a stereo isomer of natural teak oil That means its a mirror image or 'right handed." Everything on the planet digests left handed molecules. Bugs can't eat so with Teak Guard it doesn't turn gray. Putting the stuff on clean teak is done with a sponge brush in coats. Four for a walk on it surface outdoors. It is not upkeep free. once or twice a year add a coat and it will look like new teak forever. If you get lazy or something comes up it will slowly disappear and you have to clean the the teak again with a plastic brush and their teak cleaner. no sanding, no loss of wood.
rbrentp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 10:55   #13

Boat: Hinterhoeller Niagara 35

Thompson's rates on the bottom. Way over-rated by the manf. and loses its effectiveness in one or two seasons.

"Teak Guard" oil doesn't turn grey and is easy to apply, once in the spring does it for me. They also make cleaner, etc.. Widely available.
Boatwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 11:47   #14
Marine Service Provider

Thompson's or equivalent, on teak or any other wood will turn black in the sun.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2020, 12:08   #15

There's simply no perfect clear finish. If you want the longest service life - paint. Or do what people with varnish intensive Hinckley's do - get sunbrella covers made - even for handrails.

With hundreds of frustrated boaters in the search for the holy grail of something better than varnish - if Thompson's worked, there would be a dozen threads discussing it.

There are several types of epoxy covered with a coating - but they all depend on protecting the epoxy from UV since it breaks down. You can get great results but it's a lot of work and the materials are expensive.

In the "more than just oil" group, I'm not a fan of the look of Cetol (a bit orange). My favorite is Deks Olje. Very easy to apply and looks great. Two others worth looking at that have devoted fans are Armada Wood Preservative (reportedly used in the Maine built Pulisfer Hamptom launches) and Le Tonquinois (which has been used for decades on traditional wooden boats and looks fantastic). With all of these, assume you'll need to put on a coat once a year to keep them looking their best.

The oils - these are great but assume you have to redo it every three months if the wood's in the sun. But they are so easy to put on, this isn't a bad strategy if you live aboard.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
teak, thompson, water