Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2021, 13:47   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Recommissioning the Fuel System - Should I Mix New Gas with Old?

Here is how much fuel I have in each tank. These are each 50 gallon tanks x3.

Looks like 5-6 gallons left in each of the lower ones and 10-15 gallons in the one on the left with the higher level.

Fuel is marine non-ethanol. 4-5 years old at this point.

Brand new fuel pump, great running carbureted new generators, really expensive EFI outboards. Wel, expensive parts anyway.

What’s the plan?

Mix new gas with old and run though carbureted generators?

Dispose of all fuel I can possibly pump out?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F6489473-977B-4149-B3EC-50BA9EE1D8AC.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	235657  
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 14:02   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Recommissioning the Fuel System - Should I Mix New Gas with Old?

5-6 years? Just about everything volatile in it is gone. Gas that is 6 months old goes in my utility truck for immediate burning. If you've got a way to get rid of it, do, if not, dilute the hell out of it with fresh stuff.
Old 01-04-2021, 14:02   #3

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Pull a sample from the bottom of each tank. Confirm no water in the tanks. If no water, look at and smell the fuel that comes out. If it's still recognizable as fuel, then I'd fill the tanks up with fresh high octane gas and run it. If there's water or the fuel smells like varnish, then it's time to empty the tanks and figure out disposal of the old fuel.

Personally, I mix stabilizer into any gas I'm not sure I'll burn within a month. I've burned stabilized year old gas many times without issue (both ethanol and non) and I've burned 18 month old gas a couple of times (definitely non ethanol, not sure I've ever gone that long with ethanol). After a few years, it'll depend a lot on how well vented the tanks were. The better sealed they were, the more chance you have of the fuel being usable.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 14:28   #4

I don’t know how I failed to put this in the post.

I used Stabil marine stabilizer when it was stored.

I think a lot of the volatile stuff is out of it, because it comes right through the gas tanks. Very annoying. But gas tanks are permeable these days.

I really don’t feel like pulling out samples, but I guess that’s the way to go. I was hoping for some magic bullet. Ha ha like maybe I could just fill them the very top with new gasoline.
Old 01-04-2021, 14:55   #5

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I don’t know how I failed to put this in the post.

I used Stabil marine stabilizer when it was stored.

I think a lot of the volatile stuff is out of it, because it comes right through the gas tanks. Very annoying. But gas tanks are permeable these days.

I really don’t feel like pulling out samples, but I guess that’s the way to go. I was hoping for some magic bullet. Ha ha like maybe I could just fill them the very top with new gasoline.

You very well might be able to just fill them up, but it depends on just what's in there. If the fuel is still fuel-like and not full of water, it'll likely be fine. But if it's really bad or there's water in there, you'd want to know that before adding more fuel.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 00:50   #6

Ok! I’ll go this route and pump out some fuel to see.

I wish I knew this varnish smell. I feel like all older has gets a murky color to it and smells like varnish, but it usually runs ok.

I’ll put it in a glass jar next to brand new has and take a pic to get the internet’s opinion.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:35   #7

Boat: Sabre 402

For perhaps 30 gallons of fuel - worth maybe $90 or less - you are going to risk ruining your new generators and expensive EFi outboards? Clint Eastwood has a question for you : Are you feeling lucky? Tkeithlu has the right idea - mix it in with new fuel and use it in a big utility truck or maybe a lawnmower you don't care about.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:45   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
For perhaps 30 gallons of fuel - worth maybe $90 or less - you are going to risk ruining your new generators and expensive EFi outboards? Clint Eastwood has a question for you : Are you feeling lucky? Tkeithlu has the right idea - mix it in with new fuel and use it in a big utility truck or maybe a lawnmower you don't care about.
Hell no. That’s why I’m asking what to do.

I feel VERY unlucky when it comes to boat stuff. Ha ha.

I want to do what is best to protect the generators and outboards.m

I own nothing else powered by gasoline at all. Just generators and outboards. There is nowhere to burn it up.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:21   #9

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

Put in all new fresh fuel. It will save you alot of headaches. Try old fuel in lawnmower.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:41   #10

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

4-5 years old? I wouldn't use it even with Stabil if you can avoid it. Put it in a truck or some other gas guzzler. Or most waste oil recyclers will take it. When you do fill up consider purging the fuel lines at the motors so you are not putting any 4-5 year old fuel that was left in the piping into the motors.

Stabil says 2 years max on storage of treated gasoline.

If you can inspect the insides of the tanks looking for sludge or gummy deposits. I've seen many a fuel tank that had a layer of varnish from sitting years that came loose when fresh fuel was added. Also keep an eye on your filters as they may clog up quickly. Or not.

For fuel injected engines it's not worth the risk of screwing up the injectors (about $120 each). Carbureted engines you could clean the jets with a jet brush or drill but I'm sure there are plenty of other projects to use your time on.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:00   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

If you decide to dilute and use the old gas, add a good fuel conditioner. The additives included achieve more complete combustion.
I would use either Archoil 6400 or 6200 at a 2 or 3x rate. Available online.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AR6200614.pdf (1.21 MB, 14 views)
File Type: pdf AR6400G2.pdf (554.5 KB, 21 views)
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:11   #12

Looks like there are a few different opinions. Like most things. I think I’m going to err on the side of caution. I’m petrified of screwing up my engines and generators. They are working nicely right now. So, I’m going to have to dispose of this gasoline somehow. Oil recycler? That’s the way?

No lawnmower, no lawn, no house, no land, diesel truck until the boat is done. I’m a boat guy. I don’t have all that land stuff
Old 02-04-2021, 11:13   #13

Definitely, without a doubt, the fuel lines will be completely purged before i attempt to use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaseas View Post
4-5 years old? I wouldn't use it even with Stabil if you can avoid it. Put it in a truck or some other gas guzzler. Or most waste oil recyclers will take it. When you do fill up consider purging the fuel lines at the motors so you are not putting any 4-5 year old fuel that was left in the piping into the motors.

Stabil says 2 years max on storage of treated gasoline.

If you can inspect the insides of the tanks looking for sludge or gummy deposits. I've seen many a fuel tank that had a layer of varnish from sitting years that came loose when fresh fuel was added. Also keep an eye on your filters as they may clog up quickly. Or not.

For fuel injected engines it's not worth the risk of screwing up the injectors (about $120 each). Carbureted engines you could clean the jets with a jet brush or drill but I'm sure there are plenty of other projects to use your time on.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:17   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
If you decide to dilute and use the old gas, add a good fuel conditioner. The additives included achieve more complete combustion.
I would use either Archoil 6400 or 6200 at a 2 or 3x rate. Available online.
Looking up this Archoil 6400 product and it appears to only be for diesel
Old 02-04-2021, 11:32   #15

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Looks like there are a few different opinions. Like most things. I think I’m going to err on the side of caution. I’m petrified of screwing up my engines and generators. They are working nicely right now. So, I’m going to have to dispose of this gasoline somehow. Oil recycler? That’s the way?

No lawnmower, no lawn, no house, no land, diesel truck until the boat is done. I’m a boat guy. I don’t have all that land stuff
Waste oil recyclers, municipal hazardous waste facilities, busy auto repair shops, any power boater with a gas guzzler may all take it off your hands. Call first.

You could dilute what you have with fresh gas and additive but if you can get rid of the old fuel I would go that route.

Add a -G to the archoil part number.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel