Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2020, 10:21   #16

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch
Re: Recommendations for non-skid paint

For an expert job and a paint that has been manufactured for this job one can not beat Kiwi Grip , easy to apply , looks good after 3 years and pretty non slip.
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 10:31   #17

Boat: 2002 Novatec 42 Sundeck Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Stepped into my new aluminum run-about this morning, and got a cut head and damned near got a concussion by sliding across the damp (foggy) smooth aluminum deck. What is your recommendation for the best self-applied non-skid surface? The bench is finished with pick-up truck bed liner, but I really don't want to pull it out of the water and pay for that. It hurt.
Have seen other boats with Kiwi Grip and liked it.
Used it on my Tender and love it.
Easy on the feet and you can control the texture when you apply it.
Hasn’t had a lot of use since application, so can’t attest to durability, but so far it’s a winner!
Also can be mixed to any color.
Buy the white and take it to Ace Hardware of Home Depot and just match the color chip of you choice.
Planning on doing it to the decks on my Trawler.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D531BDB3-E2C0-419B-A718-94382D21C572.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	414.4 KB
ID:	208967  
Panacea2183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 11:39   #18

Boat: Watkins 29

Peronally I would go with Rust o leum Marine Non Skid Topside paints. Its affordable and works great...only down side is the color selection... White, Grey or blue.. Its also rather inexpensive... you can buy it at Lowes or HOMIE DEPOT
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 11:45   #19

Boat: Baba 40

If you opt for the packaged grit, skip the pricey boat store stuff. Home Depot has little bags of fine grit in the paint section for about $7. Sprinkle it over the wet paint.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 12:21   #20

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Take a look at Durabak. Originally developed as a truck bed liner, it's now used by the Navy on aircraft carrier decks as well as a host of other marine applications. We just did the entire deck of our steel trawler and it looks and feels great. A gallon will run you around $150 and will easily do 2 coats, maybe three. I suspect it's the same as or very similar to Kiwi...
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 13:26   #21

IMHO ... If the area is small, the stick on tapes used on stairs etc may be a more practical option. If the wear area is small, then tape replacement is a breeze. The alternative of priming the aluminium (Note the proper spelling), then applying paint with the involved masking tape issues along with whatever anti skid will take time. Lots. Then you will have a few cans of paint that will probably be a PITA. If one area wears faster than the others then you need to probably mask up again and drag out the paint and brushes again. For tape, just pull off the worn stuff and stick on the new stuff.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 14:04   #22

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Sherwin Williams makes a non skid deck paint.....as well as anti fouling bottom paint.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 14:09   #23
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

How big? Grip tape might be easier.
Old 17-02-2020, 16:10   #24

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I use Interlux Intergrip Non-Skid Additive in varnish for the top of my bowsprit - it is almost invisible. It should work well with any paint.

I used sand with gel coat on the top of the house. Initially it was a great non-skid, with the unfortunate side effect of ripping skin off when landing hard on bare skin. Over time it rounds over and loses its non-skid properties - then just try to remove it! It is more abrasive than almost anything one could use to remove it. Never again...

For an aluminum boat I would go with a rubbery coating or glue-on non-skid rubber material. For a workmanlike job go with the coating; for something fancier (and heavier and more expensive) go with the rubber material. It is possible to get rubber cut to fit with a teak-looking appearance (light brown with black channels) or other colors as well. You could also buy Treadmaster, which is a fantastic non-skid rubber sheet used extensively on commercial vessels, but beware it is pretty hard on bare skin.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 16:15   #25

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Fortunately the (very slick) aluminum deck in the boat is already painted with the manufacturuer's (very slick) primer and paint, making a hard (according to my head) and slick (very slick) surface. It's matte as is, and I suspect it will take paint with a light sanding.

This has been a very informative thread. Thank you for your suggestions and your wisdom. I know a whole lot more about the topic now.

Hi, consider using a scotchbrite pad instead of abrasive paper if the existing paint is sound. Less chance of going through the finish.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2020, 16:19   #26

Boat: sabre 28

I also like Kiwi Grip but it's very slippery when wet after application. Let it cure for a few days, then wash it really well a couple of times
Old 17-02-2020, 17:20   #27

Boat: 1984 Hunter 27

I've had good luck and am very happy with Total Boats "Total Tread" It's the store brand of Jamestown distributors
finefurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 04:43   #28

Boat: Watkins 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panacea2183 View Post
Have seen other boats with Kiwi Grip and liked it.
Used it on my Tender and love it.
Easy on the feet and you can control the texture when you apply it.
Hasn’t had a lot of use since application, so can’t attest to durability, but so far it’s a winner!
Also can be mixed to any color.
Buy the white and take it to Ace Hardware of Home Depot and just match the color chip of you choice.
Planning on doing it to the decks on my Trawler.

Actually, according to the PYI Support team, they work exclulsively with Sherwin Williams.
Their tining instructions....

1. Take KiwiGrip to the local Sherwin Williams or paint store

2. Transfer KiwiGrip to quart, gallon or 5-gallon bucket (KiwiGrip containers do not fit in Sherwin
Williams shakers)

-Make sure to leave enough room for tint
-There will be some excess KiwiGrip in the original can

3. To tint take the SW color use the Resilience Satin formula for the closest match. After checking the
sample adjust if needed.

-For custom colors scan the sample and use the Resilience satin formula it gives
you.

4. Darker colors are sometimes not possible in KiwiGrip. The maximum amount of colorant that should
be added is .625oz. per 1L can and 2.5oz. per 4L can

-There is a black base available that can be used to achieve some of these

darker colors.

For any questions please contact PYI or contact the Mukilteo Sherwin Williams
store # 8973 425-265-9436
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 05:23   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

This has been a wonderful discourse on the topic. Our trawler is steel, with a boat deck as well as maindeck, so the experiences you have shared are valuable to me beyond the immediate banged-up head. We should archive this one for anyone who asks the same question.

Underlying it all is that a non-skid surface is available at a modest cost by any of several means. People have had good and safe experiences with everything from some bed liner materials to floor paint and grit.

Tags
men, paint