Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2013, 01:58   #16

Boat: Little Harbor 46
Re: Rebuild Whale Gusher 10 or toss?

I echo a number of posts above, I rebuilt it, but the corrosion around the flap valves had produced pitting, and it never primed properly. I replaced it with an identical pump, which turned out to be a cheap Chinese copy, and that corroded in no time. The Titan plastic pump is the way to go and I have three of these now.
Tim Godber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2013, 16:00   #17

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

So here's what I did:
Cleaned it up as best possible.

Couple coats zinc chromate

Reinstalled today. Tested with FRESH water. Works fine.

Lessons learned:
1. Loosen the big clamp and peek inside once a year.
2. Test only with fresh water in the spring. (If you are using this regularly in salt water
2a. If I rebuild it again, I will coat the discharge bracket with JB Weld and sand smooth. This is the piece that must be smooth to seal and prime.
3. I'll probably choose a Titan next time.
Calypso52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 12:00   #18

Boat: Alberg 30, 30' sloop.

As I sit here in frustration with my Whale Gusher 10 Manual Bilge pump (yeah the yellow aluminum one) I decided to chime in even if it is years after this thread started.

My solution to the corrosion issue after a failed pump and no success with the rebuild was to buy a new one and only test it with fresh water each year. Thinking it would last longer plus I had originally installed the deck-mount kit so I didn't want to start over with a new pump from scratch, I just forked out the $50 for the rebuild then ANOTHER $300 for a new pump. Three years later, (NEVER USED IT WITH SALT WATER ONLY TESTING IT EACH YEAR WITH FRESH) and it is destroyed like the first one from corrosion again.

IT IS A TRAGEDY THAT WHALE GUSHER STILL ADVERTISES THIS AS A LONG LIFE PUMP, IT IS JUNK AFTER JUST A FEW YEARS and they have not responded to any of the emails I have sent them.

My only question is, has anyone found a direct bolt in plastic replacement that will fit with the optional deck-cap mounting, I'm thinking about trying the Titan but I'm so Whale scorned I find it difficult to give them another penny. Sorry for the semi-rant :-).
kirkalittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2015, 11:39   #19

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

Kirk, thanks for the follow up and let me please continue your rant.

Despite my best intentions a couple years ago, I have not reinspected or retested with fresh water my rebuilt pump. It is now on the top of my list to do in the fall (when I can guarantee a fresh water only test.)

If mine has failed again, I'll make sure to repost here. Fortunately my installation is not a thru deck one. Given your experience, you can be sure I will not buy this model again and will think seriously about not buying Whale again. Unfortunately Whale will continue to sell this defective product because so few will see our posts. Whale, why are you not responding?!!!!

The reality is no one should buy a manual bilge pump and count on it to be there in an emergency.
1. You cannot pump one of these for more than a few minutes unless you have room for a six foot lever or
2. You have a bunch of gorillas in your crew.
3. You should be stopping the leak instead of wasting time pumping.
The exception is probably Edson's pump, board mounted with two inch hose but who has the storage space or the money to buy one of those?

So most of us should install a big back up electric pump and forget this Whale pump and its kin. Yes, I hear the protests, "But what if I have lost all power and the boat is sinking?" Well, my friend, then if you don't have a bucket, you'd best grab your ditch bag, set off your EPIRB and get ready to step up into your life raft.
Ok end of MY rant.
Calypso52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:54   #20

Boat: Alberg 30, 30' sloop.
POSSITIVE UPDATE, WHALE MAKES GOOD ON PUMP

So after posting my rant I decided to email Whale one more time and let them know I was in need of a THIRD pump and was asking what plastic pump might have the same footprint to fit the through-deck fitting already installed.

They sent me a form to fill out and email back to them, then they sent me a brand new pump all the way here to Panama. SO... while the well known previously discussed whale gusher 10 pumps haven't changed, the company did make good, turns out this pump has a 5 year warranty and they didn't require any documentation.

Lastly, my mini-whale foot pump in the galley is my only fresh water pump on the boat, living aboard full time, nearly 8 years, and still working without even a rebuild. So, beware of the gusher 10 pumps, but 'Whale' in general, maybe not all bad, and I strongly suggest folks email them, they may just make good on your old corded gusher pumps, good luck!
kirkalittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 14:10   #21

Boat: csy 37

My Whale Titan, which I bought ten years ago to replace my corroded Whale Gusher 10, is still functioning as advertised. I use it at least a few times a month to pump out the bilge. And it still has the original rubber parts.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rebuild