Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2014, 23:10   #1

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3
Rebuild or renew Spectra

I have a Spectra 150 of exactly unkown vintage but probably about 8 years.It was making sweet water until about two months ago when the Clark pump developed a leak that turns out will require major over haul of the pump and I suspect the membrane could need replacing also.We are cruising away from home at the moment and will get by until home in a few months.
A few cruisers I have bumped into recently have had "backyard" built water makers putting out up to 80 ltrs per hour on 240 volt pumps.
Is it possible to use the pressure vessel and membrane from my Spectra and mate it to a larger 240 volt or engine driven pump.The main aim would be to produce more water per hour than the current complete Spectra unit.
From what I have been told from the back yard guys the total price of their setups is only about 25% more than a factory rebuild exchange Clark pump for my unit and more than double the capacity.
I am not really interested in 12 volt vs 240 vs engine driven debate as we have the capacity for any of the above simply should like to know if my pressure vessel and membrane would be up to job of coping with a bigger pump to increase the volume of water made.
Chris
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 23:25   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Rebuild or renew Spectra

Just a tip on this post, you might want to alter the title slightly, as at the moment, I at least, thought you were speaking of Spectra, the cordage, based on the title. So...
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 00:23   #3
cruiser

Have Spectra rebuild the Clark pump via their $450 exchange program, then you'll have a factory warranty on it. Chances are the membrane is still good, ours lasted 12 years. If your water quality numbers are raised a bit, it's more likely the pressure pumps need to be rebuilt, which is very easy to do yourself for $80 per pump. Takes about 45 minutes and involves eight screws.

Just two months ago, We completely rebuilt our 12 year old Spectra 380c, except for the Clark pump which we sent in.

The total cost:
$450 Clark pump
$75 new pressure gauge
$160 two pressure pump rebuild kits
$650 new membrane
Total: $1335

Now it's as good as new with a factory warranty.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 01:54   #4

Kenomac
What got me thinking on alternatives where two things.The "backyard" type units are putting out 80 ltrs an hour and I got a quote from the local Spectra agent in Brisbane for $ 2100.00 Aud for a factory rebuilt exchange Clarke pump.
If I could get it for $4 or $500 I would not hesitate and simply change it out.Are your prices from the US?
Chris
Old 29-08-2014, 03:19   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
Kenomac
What got me thinking on alternatives where two things.The "backyard" type units are putting out 80 ltrs an hour and I got a quote from the local Spectra agent in Brisbane for $ 2100.00 Aud for a factory rebuilt exchange Clarke pump.
If I could get it for $4 or $500 I would not hesitate and simply change it out.Are your prices from the US?
Chris
I ran into the same crap last summer with a Specrta guy in Mallorca, Spain. He wanted to rebuild my pump and said it would be cheaper for him to rebuild it locally, so I went along. Then he returns a still leaky pump to me along with a bill for 2100 euros and a small bag of washers and O rings. He claimed the parts alone cost 1000 euros... Total B.S.

I obviously didn't pay the bill and contacted Spectra myself direct to complain, and that's when the company told me about the $450 factory exchange program. Deal with them direct. They will send out a new pump while your still running the leaky one, then refund the core deposit when they receive your existing pump. The amount you will send them will be around $1300 or so via credit card, but they refund the difference for the total cost to be $450 USD upon getting yours in the mail. The pump they send you will look and run like a brand new pump and has a full factory warranty. Great people to work with.

Chances are, the plastic pump block has a micro crack where the high pressure fitting attaches, your local guy won't be able to fix it... no more than the jerk in Mallorca could. He probably intends to do the exchange program himself and just pocket the difference. The Clark pump costs $2100 USD brand new.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 10:01   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
I am not really interested in 12 volt vs 240 vs engine driven debate as we have the capacity for any of the above simply should like to know if my pressure vessel and membrane would be up to job of coping with a bigger pump to increase the volume of water made.
Chris
Absolutely!

Converting a Spectra to a Cruiser RO Water Maker | Cruise RO Water Makers

You can use parts from your spectra....add in a high output AC 240v motor/pump and produce 20GPH from a single 40" membrane or 30GPH from two. It's something we do all the time for people that want more fresh water output. Why toss out parts that are still good, so reuse them. A 1.6GPM/1.0Hp motor set-up for example costs $1500...add in a few fittings and your are done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
$650 new membrane.
$650 for a $187 dollar RO Membrane......that's highway robbery and I guess explains why we ship them via DHL for $125ish to the EU weekly!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 16:07   #7

Thanks for the replies.
We do not appear to have an actual Spectra company here in Aus only appointed agents and dealers so have contacted HO regarding pricing of replacement pumps.
As for converting to 240 volt and using non proprietary parts your info SV Third Day was most helpful.

Chris

Tags
rebuild