Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2014, 06:51   #16

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2
Re: Reasonable Hourly Rate for Teak Refinishing & Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Actually, the brightwork is not much of a worry -- a crappy job doesn't compromise the boat. Unfortunately the shoddy work in the biz doesn't end there - it extends to critical systems. Better off doing it yourself, then at least it's you &%$!up and it didn't cost a fortune.
Actually I agree, if you have a lot of brightwork you are much better off doing it yourself but you need a lot of patience, none of the time saving products can hold a candle to 10 coats of spar varnish properly blocked down after the grain is filled but the best thing you can do to preserve it and keep future maintainence costs down is make covers for everything. If you cant devise a way to cover it it shouldn't be varnished imho.

Steve.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 07:06   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

One of my customers just spent 12.5K to have her 36 footer stripped and re-done (lots of exterior wood work). The boat is now stunning but the hours involved were astounding. Everytime I was in that yard over the winter there was a guy working on her varnish. I think it came to about 200 hours for 10 coats plus some fixing of the teak bow sprit..

This is why our current boat has no exterior teak...
Old 30-08-2014, 07:20   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I am tempted to go Semco throughout once my varnish breaks down. All I have is handrails and toerail. Anyone with experience with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Semco is mysterious stuff. I have seen great results on some boats, but when I followed the preparation to the letter, it looked absolutely horrible in just 6 months -- and I'm not the only one with that experience, either.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 07:30   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
Actually I agree, if you have a lot of brightwork you are much better off doing it yourself but you need a lot of patience, none of the time saving products can hold a candle to 10 coats of spar varnish properly blocked down after the grain is filled but the best thing you can do to preserve it and keep future maintainence costs down is make covers for everything. If you cant devise a way to cover it it shouldn't be varnished imho.

Steve.
Brightwork is one of those very subjective things in boating - like the best anchor, bottom paint and whether or not to carry paper charts or learn celestial navigation. So, your opinion is as valid as mine.

I have a whole treatise on "How I Learned To Stop Worrying and Love The Cetol" that includes doing brightwork in stages. If you have a lot of it, like I do, it can drive you crazy to strip everything, refinish, only to find out that the newest magic bullet wasn't so magic after all.

Another: use chip brushes. Work them back and forth and pull out the loose fibers. Then be prepared to extract one or two you missed that get stuck in the finish. Throw brush away after use. This is a huge saver of time and mess and will encourage you to fit a coat in here and there after work or between sails -- something you might not do if faced with the prospect of a lot of clean up. Also, save on thinner. Environment-wise, it's arguably better -- sure, you're tossing a little wooden brush with each coat, but you're not dumping a bunch of toxic chemicals down the drain. A net plus, I'd say.

Alternately, go one grade up from chip brushes and the fibers will stay in the brush and you can still afford to throw them out without cleaning. If you want to use a $200 camel hair brush on the final coat, fine, but I wouldn't bother. The finished product, as I say, is not a Hinckley finish, but it's pretty damn good for a lot less effort.
Old 30-08-2014, 09:36   #20

Boat: csy 37

Four words. Starbrite Tropical Teak Oil. I will never again use anything else (that's currently available).
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 10:11   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

If there's any "coating" being done...You might also want to pay some attention to making sure the right product is being used. Apparently in the more mundane world of house painting, one really big company found out that painters were keeping the empty cans of their product, and refilling them oh so neatly with cheaper paint. Resulting in things like warranty complaints from customers who had paid for the brand name, saw the cans for the brand name, and had no idea something else was being put on their walls.

With the price of marine coatings, if you're just picking up help at random....caveat emptor.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 10:17   #22

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I've got a semco can waiting for me.

The instructions say you need to reapply as needed but I've heard touch ups are required every 2 months or so; it makes sense that 6 months would look like crap.

Since it's a sealer and not a varnish you only apply two coats 30 minutes from each other followed by a single coat of semco gloss.

To reapply you just wash and apply another single coat. You only need to sand if there is a stain.

I'm going semco. If it doesn't work out I don't need to sand anymore than normal to apply something else.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 10:43   #23
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR38 View Post
So what would be a reasonable hourly rate to pay for exterior teak refinishing work in the Annapolis area? Technical Maintenance runs about $90/hour but I am assuming teak work should be dramatically less expensive
depends on what you are needing. if you have a hinckley bermuda 40 with mirror finish varnished teak then you need someone who knows what they are doing. and you may end up paying for more than the hourly rate if they travel from another city or state. get the estimate up front as usual.
Old 30-08-2014, 11:03   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I've got a semco can waiting for me.

The instructions say you need to reapply as needed but I've heard touch ups are required every 2 months or so; it makes sense that 6 months would look like crap.

Since it's a sealer and not a varnish you only apply two coats 30 minutes from each other followed by a single coat of semco gloss.

To reapply you just wash and apply another single coat. You only need to sand if there is a stain.

I'm going semco. If it doesn't work out I don't need to sand anymore than normal to apply something else.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Fair enough, but I'd posit that any product requiring touch up every 2 months is not a good product. Just my $0.02.
Old 30-08-2014, 11:18   #25

Remind me to never buy a boat with teak.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 12:03   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
Remind me to never buy a boat with teak.
You'll never know how it feels to be beautiful!
Old 03-05-2015, 18:01   #27

Boat: 1974 Westsail 32

An adage from my custom home building days "Can't see it from my house" was often expressed by "craftsmen" well versed in the "art" of shoddy workmanship. Many people are satisfied with "just good enough", and there are also those among us that feel second best just isn't acceptable. Different strokes for different folks. Pride in what you do is an admirable quality, but remember, that quality is gonna cost ya.
westsailwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 18:59   #28

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I am tempted to go Semco throughout once my varnish breaks down. All I have is handrails and toerail. Anyone with experience with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
yes, semco on my cr38 is awesome. Every time people approach our boat they ask if the teak is new.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 19:48   #29
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I can't understand why we call it bright work. In this age, throwing money at wood just doesn't seem that bright at all. Does appearance matter to grownups, or are we past that?
Old 05-05-2015, 06:05   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

In response to the original question, most mobile brightwork firms seem to charge an hourly rate of 40-60/hr. When we did varnish work it was always a bid on the boat, as in:

Strip, Repair, Sand, Seal (2-3 coats), Base (5-7 coats), Finish (4-6 coats).
And we did go for that 'Bristol' finish. For a 40' boat with a full teak cap rail it could easily run $6000.00 which is why most people do it themselves.

For what it's worth, on our own boat this time we're going to try a Tonkin oil 'varnish' we saw on a classic wooden boat. I'll publish the results. Le Tonkinois frequently asked questions
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance