Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2019, 13:34   #16

Boat: 1998 Sealine Statesman 42ft - Twin Cummins 6BTA
Re: Realistic sized desalinator (water-maker)

Acid water watermaker
GeneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 14:26   #17

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Realistic is for you to decide.

How much water do you use per day?

How will you power it?

My yacht is still under construction so I don't know how much water I will use.

I have no idea at all about how many liters of water I use each morning to shower but I assume it would be very much different on board a yacht. Is there a rule of thumb?

Once I know what size de-salinator I need I will work out the best way to power it.

Thanks

Clive
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 14:34   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneM View Post
Are you at all concerned about the PH of drinking water? I hear it's quite acidic unless treated.
I don't understand what you are telling me: can you elaborate?

Clive
Old 27-01-2019, 14:40   #19

Quote:
Acid water watermaker
Can you elaborate?

Clive
Old 27-01-2019, 14:47   #20

Boat: O'Day 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
As an alternative you might check this guy out. His units start at $1600. Produces 21 GPH. Essentially the same as the DIY drawing above except he's sourced all the pieces for you.

https://seawaterpro.com

How much water do you need? That's a personal question. Live on your boat, don't use shore water, marina bathroom or shower. Live as you normally do and keep track of how often you fill your water tank(s). I'm in the PNW and going into the tropics will need more water for hydration and rinsing dive equipment so am planning for a larger system.
+1
I’ve used a SeawaterPro desalinator for over a year with great results. 20 gph with 1 membrane or 30 gph with the optional membrane. Both setups use under 10 amps @ 120vac. I ordered the water cooled pressure pump for an extra $100 and the optional seawater pump. All, including shipping and tax for under $2000. This is sold as an easily installed diy kit. Every fitting and hose is furnished and numbered.
We run it for an hour each day on our 2000 watt Kisae inverter powered by our 800 ah agm battery bank and 2 - 360 w sunpower PV panels. We rinse off every time we come out of the water and my wife likes a warm shower to wash her long hair each evening.
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 16:19   #21

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadrille in JB View Post
+1
I’ve used a SeawaterPro desalinator for over a year with great results. 20 gph with 1 membrane or 30 gph with the optional membrane. Both setups use under 10 amps @ 120vac. I ordered the water cooled pressure pump for an extra $100 and the optional seawater pump. All, including shipping and tax for under $2000. This is sold as an easily installed diy kit. Every fitting and hose is furnished and numbered.
We run it for an hour each day on our 2000 watt Kisae inverter powered by our 800 ah agm battery bank and 2 - 360 w sunpower PV panels. We rinse off every time we come out of the water and my wife likes a warm shower to wash her long hair each evening.
Could ya post your installation? I got the kit almost a year ago and still haven't installed it yet - I can't find space for the K2 water pressure pump or a way to mount it securely, and the same with the water filters. It's a pretty large unit.
Old 27-01-2019, 17:04   #22

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post

I have no idea at all about how many liters of water I use each morning to shower but I assume it would be very much different on board a yacht. Is there a rule of thumb?

Once I know what size de-salinator I need I will work out the best way to power it.

Thanks

Clive

My advice......build the boat, the. Use it for a bit and establish your patterns before you get a watermaker. Only your habits will set the baseline for your particular watermaker needs.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 18:19   #23

Quote:
My advice......build the boat, the. Use it for a bit and establish your patterns before you get a watermaker. Only your habits will set the baseline for your particular watermaker needs.

I can understand what you are saying but to build the boat you must have a plan (as vague as it may be). (Sometimes it is expensive or impossible to retro-fit)

That plan involves such related items as water tanks, power generation (engine and solar), room on boat, size of battery bank etc...... and budget.

Clive
Old 27-01-2019, 19:34   #24
CLOD

Boat: none

You are building a 43’ boat and you don’ know how much water you need
Old 27-01-2019, 20:52   #25

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
For most people water usage will change, ie increase, if they have a water maker because they have more water to use.

I would go for as big a unit as you can afford or have the space or power for. Ive never heard anybody complaining their water maker make water too fast.

Although I know you could oversize your Water maker in a number of ways like too short run times etc.

If you have tank water you conserve. If you have a Watermaker you can rinse off people, dishes, clothes, outboard legs etc much more.
Q Xopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 21:20   #26

Quote:
Are you at all concerned about the PH of drinking water? I hear it's quite acidic unless treated.

I've travelled a lot and wherever I go the water tastes different: you get used to it.

No I'm not concerned.

The freshly desalinated water may have pH in the range of 6.5 -7.5 pH units. If the pH is lower than 7.0, then the water may be slightly corrosive to iron piping used for fresh water. ... The desalinated sea water has only a few parts-per-million of calcium.
Rain Water Number 1, it's acidic, it's going to be 5, 6.5 pH at the absolute best.

Is Perths water safe to drink?
The tap water in Perth is perfectly safe though it can taste different in different establishments. Some taste a little of chlorine, some a bit metallic but it would be highly unusual for it to upset anyone's stomachs.
Old 27-01-2019, 21:37   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:

Thanks

Clive
actually it would be easier to make recommendations if we knew a few things .
How much water do you use at home?
That will give an idea how much you will use on the boat.
Next how do you intend on powering the watermaker 12v/ 24v dc 110 or 220 AC , engine driven?
Old 27-01-2019, 22:12   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
actually it would be easier to make recommendations if we knew a few things .
How much water do you use at home?
That will give an idea how much you will use on the boat.
Next how do you intend on powering the watermaker 12v/ 24v dc 110 or 220 AC , engine driven?

How much water I use at home is irrelevant (and I don't know anyway) and anyway it has nothing to do with how much I will use on a boat!!

Surely how I power the desalinator has little to do with my question
"How many liters per day (or per hour) is a realistic size?".

After I decide the size of desalinator I need I will look at what's available on the market and what options there is to powering it. I really hope it will be battery power as I don't want to hang another pump off the motor.

(By the way it is a 24V system)

Clive
Old 27-01-2019, 22:25   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
How much water I use at home is irrelevant (and I don't know anyway) and anyway it has nothing to do with how much I will use on a boat!!

Surely how I power the desalinator has little to do with my question
"How many liters per day (or per hour) is a realistic size?".

After I decide the size of desalinator I need I will look at what's available on the market and what options there is to powering it. I really hope it will be battery power as I don't want to hang another pump off the motor.

(By the way it is a 24V system)

Clive
ok then here is my recommendation a powersurvivor 40e watermaker its 12/ 24 volt powered and produces approximately 1.5 gallons of water per hour.

Plenty of water to keep you alive.

Btw the amount of water you use at home is relevant and you pay a bill so you can figure how much you use on an average day. Cut that in half and that would be a good starting point.

I have been doing this for years trust me the questions are relevant.
Old 27-01-2019, 22:52   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
ok then here is my recommendation a powersurvivor 40e watermaker its 12/ 24 volt powered and produces approximately 1.5 gallons of water per hour.

Plenty of water to keep you alive.

Btw the amount of water you use at home is relevant and you pay a bill so you can figure how much you use on an average day. Cut that in half and that would be a good starting point.

I have been doing this for years trust me the questions are relevant.

I've got a vegetable garden, pot plants and mowed lawns where I live (but I don't intend having them on the yacht). I use scheme water in the toilet at home but at sea I'll either piddle over the side or use sea water to flush.

Tags
size, water