Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2013, 09:27   #1

Boat: S2 9.2C
Raw water problems, you were all wrong.

Not long ago, while motoring down the ICW, had a red warning light come on on the engine panel in the cockpit. After some struggling to figure out just what it was (damn poor engine gauges on these boats), I determined it was poor water flow. Steam coming from exhaust, ect. So I jumped on this board and read everything I could on Yanmar 2qm cooling. I ordered an impeller, thermostat, figured how to clean the strainer, ect. However, it was none of the above. It was a problem so exotic and rare that none suggested the possible culprit. It was a loose water pump belt. Took maybe 10 minutes to fix. So now I have a spare thermostat, impeller, and new knowledge. That is all.
pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 09:35   #2

Re: Raw water problems, you were all wrong.

Ha! sometimes it's the simplest of things. Real surprised the system is designed so marginal that it was overheating due to a loose belt... must have been real loose? That's OK, next time you have trouble you will have all those parts!.... and still need one you dont have!

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 09:48   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotdave View Post
Not long ago, while motoring down the ICW, had a red warning light come on on the engine panel in the cockpit. After some struggling to figure out just what it was (damn poor engine gauges on these boats), I determined it was poor water flow. Steam coming from exhaust, ect. So I jumped on this board and read everything I could on Yanmar 2qm cooling. I ordered an impeller, thermostat, figured how to clean the strainer, ect. However, it was none of the above. It was a problem so exotic and rare that none suggested the possible culprit. It was a loose water pump belt. Took maybe 10 minutes to fix. So now I have a spare thermostat, impeller, and new knowledge. That is all.
Be grateful you got off so lightly. I watched a fellow in our marina spend upwards of $2000 on an engine fuel system problem before his teenage daughter, home from college for a weekend, pointed out that his fuel gauge read E. A 5 gallon tank of diesel fixed his fuel system problem.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 10:37   #4

Boat: S2 9.2C

" I watched a fellow in our marina spend upwards of $2000 on an engine fuel system problem before his teenage daughter, home from college for a weekend, pointed out that his fuel gauge read E."

LOL! DOH! He was probably researching his problems online...
pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2013, 11:33   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Had an engine starting problem mid-ocean on a Perkins 4-108. Very perplexing. I always started the engine and ran it for 1 hour every other day to keep the batteries charged. Always checked belts and oil, water, etc., etc. Turns out the alternator belt was tight until the engine started and because it had a broken bracket it would run too loose to really charge the batteries and after using running lights and cabin lights at night for two nights it'd drain the batteries. Luckily it would still start but very reluctantly after 3 weeks at sea.

I might have been able to figure this one out quicker if I had a battery monitor but this was an old-timey boat with very few electrics.

Tags
water