Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2020, 14:42   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: raritan duck bill wont stop leaking

Should have addressed this in my previous reply...

Whether it's the toilet discharge or any other fitting, stress that pulls hose to one side is almost certain to cause any connection to leak. Replace the hose fitting with a straight, or 45 or a 90--whatever will provide a straight path for the hose...if the hose is really stiff, replace it with a softer hose. Raritan's SaniFlex hose has proven to be 100% odor permeation resistant and is so flexible it can be bent like a hairpin without kinking. RaritanSaniFlex hose Defender has it for < $10/ft.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 17:06   #17

Boat: Morris Justine

I had the same problem last summer. Turns out the hose between the Raritan and the vented loop was calcified and causing back pressure. Replaced the hose and the leaking was solved.
MooGroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 04:03   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Should have addressed this in my previous reply...

Whether it's the toilet discharge or any other fitting, stress that pulls hose to one side is almost certain to cause any connection to leak. Replace the hose fitting with a straight, or 45 or a 90--whatever will provide a straight path for the hose...if the hose is really stiff, replace it with a softer hose. Raritan's SaniFlex hose has proven to be 100% odor permeation resistant and is so flexible it can be bent like a hairpin without kinking. RaritanSaniFlex hose Defender has it for < $10/ft.

--Peggie
Hi Peggie, with these Joker or Choker valves or Duckbills, should they close firmly when new and uninstalled? Per my previous post, I have checked quite a few in the chandlery I work at (after it was pointed out to me by a customer trying to fix his leak-back) and was surprised that they were pretty unconvincing even when new in the packet. Especially the 3/4" Jabsco ones.
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 03:56   #19

Boat: Malö 42, 43.1ft

Hello again guys,
so here is an update report on my leaky Raritan joker valve (duckbill) connection (please see what I did, that did not work, and all your much appreciated earlier comments).

As a last ditch attempt I very carefully cleaned the connecting parts (no minute cracks in the plastic and the joker valve is new and perfect shape). I then mounted a new fabricated RF steel backing plate covering the outflow side connection and added large washers on the bolts on the toilet side. Tightening ever so slightly with quarter turns in turn on each bolt, starting from finger tight. Observed dripping via mirror, slowing but never stopping, and the increasing again when tightening more. Uhhh, no cigar!

Went home for a good think, and enjoyed a snifter of 12 year old whiskey
Next day with nothing to loose I carefully applied liberal amounts of Sikaflex on all connecting surfaces! Tightened the bolts only finger tight, taking extreme care to have equal tightening on both bolts, of course with the rf steel backing plate in place! I then let that sit and cure for 5-6 days. Tried the pump again, and lo and behold! Only the tiniest of drip showed up! I now tightened both bolts in turn, 45 degrees at a time, a total of 3/4 turns, until no discernible drips showed.
I have since tried pumping the toilet several times during the day and STILL NO MORE DRIPPING!
It seems that the RF steel backing plate plus the sikaflex actually did it!

Well as with all boat repairs, I really do not trust this until some weeks has gone by. Time will tell.
I actually had one more idea to test and that would have been gluing the connections and joker valve together with TEC7, a builders glue, flexible and applicable under water. Hope i will not have to.
Hoping this might help someone else at roads end like me!

NB picture shows backing plate, but the plastic connecting plate is OLD not the one mounted!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200513_172404.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	378.9 KB
ID:	215835  
Photonsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 05:27   #20

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Interesting idea. I wonder, when the joker valve needs to be replaced how hard will it be to remove all the Sikaflex? I have never used Sikaflex.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 11:13   #21

Boat: Malö 42, 43.1ft

Please know, that this solution was when I ran out of every recommendation and advice from raritan and very experienced advisers in this thread!
Sikaflex is usually not that hard to remove with some judicial use of some tool. However, I would not reuse an older joker valve, but rather get a new one, to eliminate unnecessary failure mechanisms. Messing with the toilets is not my favourite past time
Photonsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 12:22   #22
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

I am fan of the Raritan PH-II as well as most of their products, and use CP and KO as the only products put down the head that doesn't come out of a human orifice or come up from the raw water input through-hull.

But I have to admit that the plate that holds the discharge elbow seems woefully inadequate and flimsy. It is very easy to distort it bynthe slightest over-tightening. I have dreamed of making a more-solid less flimsy version. But when you think about it many people get these to work without them leaking, so it has to be possible once one figures out what one is doing wrong in the installation process.

I think Peggy has hit upon a good possible answer. If there is any tension or spring force of the hose where it clamps onto the discharge elbow it will cause problems with the assembly leaking at the joker valve base where it it sandwiched between the discharge elbow and the pump manifold.

Another possibility is a blockage in the hose leading to the tank. If it is calcified and creating a lot of backpressure it is likely to leak right at the joker as the pump is capable of very high pressures.

We learned this the hard way once when we overfilled our tank and because the contents were unable to pass through the 1/2" vent tube and the bug screen at the through-hull it was instead being pushed through the seals on the diverter valve between the tank and the through-deck fitting and from the leaking Y-valve all over into the lazarette where it is located. What a mess!

Since then we have installed two 1" vents on the tank with 1" through-hulls. If the tank is overfilled it will come up and out these vents...

So if there is too much backpressure due to clogged crusty sanitation hose it will likely come out somewhere else, and the seal at the joker valve is the weakest point.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2020, 15:44   #23

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=Photonsailor;3148873]Please know, that this solution was when I ran out of every recommendation and advice from raritan and very experienced advisers in this thread!

I said use cheap silicone in post #3. I stick with that and it does not stick to the flange.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raritan