Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2010, 18:50   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Raised a Sunken Boat Today

Fortunately it remained upright...Combination of wind, low tide and shallow water allowed me to get three pumps on board.

Why did it sink? Scupper hose froze and cracked...scupper led to below waterline thru hull.

Close your thruhulls...visit your boat after storms/snow
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 19:02   #2

Boat: Morgan, O.I. 33' Dutch Treat
Congrats on being able to get her afloat again, I guess now alot or work starts.
How long was she down?
how deep?
alot of water damage?
did the motor get wet?

Best of luck,

Dutch
johnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 19:13   #3

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Pictures please..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 19:17   #4
Eternal Member

I'll post some pics tomorrow....It has been a long day...I'm still warming up!
Old 19-02-2010, 19:21   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
I bet. Working on (or in ) the water in icy conditions ... it really penetrates. Good luck with the rest of the operation.
hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2010, 19:22   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Congratulations! Thanks to you another boat has been saved.
regards,
Old 19-02-2010, 19:35   #7

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
Fortunately it remained upright...Combination of wind, low tide and shallow water allowed me to get three pumps on board.

Why did it sink? Scupper hose froze and cracked...scupper led to below waterline thru hull.

Which brings up a interesting question I have been thinking about these last few days.
Namely, thru hulls. Specifically for cockpit and scupper drains.
My boat has 4 1.5" thru hulls for the cockpit to now forespar marelon valves. There are pvc tubing above, then hose to the valves.
Seems to me that a better way to do it would be straight fiberglass tubes glassed into the hull, and no thru hulls. For one, why have shut off valves there ? You would never want to shut them off, as the boat could potentialy flood via the cockpit, either via rain (yeah I know a lot of it but still) or taking in green water. Also the thru hulls valves add complexitety to a system that I am increasingly wanting to make less complex.
So wouldn't it be better to just glass in some fiberglass tubes to the openings in the hull, and deck, then connect with a small, say a foot long piece of hose for vibrations resistance rather than the long hose, multiple clamps, and potentail of thru hull failure that most boats have ?
Same goes for the deck scuppers. I am rewiring so have pulled down a lot of the overheads and teak covering things to gain access, and have found origianl hose on a 27 year old boat... a accident waiting to happen. a solid pipe would be better imo, or better yet just a opening in the side, rather than using a thru hull and hose.

Also, when my boat sank at the dock last year from a failed thru hull due to electolysis, and my rebuilding efforts, I see a LOT of thru hulls (13) on my boat that should/could/will be consolidated to only 6. For instance each sink (3 total) had a thru hull. I will replumb them to a larger grey water tank. The heads are being converted to fresh water flush, so that is 2 more gone. and the list goes on.
I also want to get rid of some non essential openings in the deck. Seems that there are just to many holes in the boat I don't need.

Bob
Old 19-02-2010, 20:24   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:

Frozen scupper hoses. This seems to be a common problem in the Northern hemisphere. Another variation is; the hose freezes & cracks and then fills the hull with melting snow/rain from the cockpit.

Or the snow plugging the cockpit drains then filling the cockpit so full it over flows thru the gangway entry and into the cabin.

The problem we have here are leaves getting into the cockpit drains.
Old 10-03-2010, 21:02   #9
Eternal Member

Update:
Got the boat up.....a pyrate tow company wanted $280 a foot......Whew!!!!!

It was a fairly straighforward lift.

Pickled the engine, rehabbed starter alternator, carburator, emptied glop out of fuel tank....purged lines...tuned up engine.....FIRST crank....it started...witha little gumout spray.

Changed out battery cables, put bilge pump in......

Owner now has to make a decision on redoing electrical circuits AC and DC

Oh....and I closed the thru-hulls
Old 10-03-2010, 21:17   #10

Boat: Mac 26x
when i was an amateur diver away back in the early 80,s we raised a wreck from the Bottom of Loch Rannoch in Scotland,it was a real keystone kops attempt but we did it,the baot was around 100ft in lenght an old steam powered pleasure craft and we got her up from 90ft,her weakness was large square windows which got blown in during a gale.At the time it was a world record for amateur divers.

great stuff chief,its a great feeling seeing the gunnels come up,i dont think that even an engineer of your quality could have got the old steam engine going on the one that we raised
bastonjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 21:23   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
insane

Quote:
Second worst idea in all of boating history: connecting a cockpit scupper to a below-waterline thu-hull via a rubber hose.

Worst idea in all of boating history: connecting a cockpit scupper to a below-waterline thru-hull not equipped with a seacock. (Such as on the Santana 22 I campaigned for years.)

Cockpit scuppers have no business connecting with thru-hulls. Fill the cockpit and the boat will not sink. Burst the connecting hose and the boat has no option but to sink.
Old 10-03-2010, 21:56   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Wasn't there supposed to be some pictures of this sunken boat and the raising party?
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:12   #13

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Second worst idea in all of boating history: connecting a cockpit scupper to a below-waterline thu-hull via a rubber hose.

Worst idea in all of boating history: connecting a cockpit scupper to a below-waterline thru-hull not equipped with a seacock. (Such as on the Santana 22 I campaigned for years.)

Cockpit scuppers have no business connecting with thru-hulls. Fill the cockpit and the boat will not sink. Burst the connecting hose and the boat has no option but to sink.
I'm inclined to agree with you. The concept of bursting a hose and having to crawl into a space with very little chance of exiting again scare the heck out of me. Unless the thru hulls are located in easily accessible areas, the chances of reaching the thruhull and seacock becomes questionable at best. The previous owner of Espina felt the same way and welded the hull openings shut, welding the cockpit sole opening shut and then stuck freeing ports out thru the transom. They were made from 6 inch channel with a top welded on and run straight out the back. The only problem with them is while sailing with a following sea. The cockpit gets water coming in via these freeing ports. First year I sailed her she was badly out of trim, down by the stern and water would fill the cockpit about 6 inches deep. Finally I spent some time retrimming the ballast and now she only gets a couple of inches at most. A plug on a lanyard inserted into the ports takes care of that.

One of my other boats had a simple system, two drains in the cockpit leading to one outlet on the centerline of the hull fabricated from heavy wall square tubing in a Y configuration. No valves or anything, just welded to the hull and cockpit sole. It worked very well.

Sabre Dance has a messed up system, the valves are located about 6 feet back from the opening in the galley, and theres no way I'd crawl in there if one snapped off. Way too easy to be trapped and drown. I'm looking at doing the Ypipe version here too.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:36   #14

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
This is precisely why I kept 75 watt lightbulbs attached to my seacocks (old gate valves). I was concerned that the water would freeze and blow the valve hat off or push the hose off (double clamps not withstanding).
Safer than trying run a heater and burning the boat to the water line.

The next step is to haul the boat out possibly during the dead of summer when the wind dies and replacing these things with 'glass backing plates and Graco silicone-bronze valves.

Thank God I only have 2 of 'em and that they're accessible.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:44   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleHeadMd View Post

Thank God I only have 2 of 'em and that they're accessible.

Sink and cockpit? Yours doesn't have one in the side of the bilge? Did someone glass in the head one as well?
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais