Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2015, 20:51   #1

Boat: Union cutter 33
Radar arch stability

Hey lads we are considering installing a stainless steel radar arch on the back of our 1991 catalina 34 for mounting solar panels our concerns are the added weight at a considerable height affecting the boats stability was looking for any input from others who have a similar arch thanks mates
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 08:20   #2

Send a message via ICQ to Kevin876 Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin876 Send a message via Skype™ to Kevin876
Re: Radar arch stability

in my opinion forget stainless steel..go with schedule 40 aluminum much lighter and equally as strong..the proper and expensive thing to do is get a marine architect but I believe your ballast is somewhere between 5000 and 5600 lbs depending on if you have a wing or fin keel. maybe contact catalina and see what there suggestions are.. when I added my arch to my 1968 cheoy lee luders 36 I went a little overboard with adding davits also I added ballast and lost 1 knot but I am a laid back guy and enjoy I am not into Americas cup speed I am ok with the slow boat to china ....please post your results very interested in them
Kevin876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 09:19   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 27D

Try fish on sports. I bought a nice arch which was actually for handling shotgun fish pole holders. It worked perfect as a radar arch and a place to mount solar panels. Very attractive and priced right, under $800 shipped. Adjustable for width and quality welds as well as fittings. They are currently listed around $849 including shipping on ebay. Easy installation.
MCOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 06:09   #4

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCOS View Post
Try fish on sports. I bought a nice arch which was actually for handling shotgun fish pole holders. It worked perfect as a radar arch and a place to mount solar panels. Very attractive and priced right, under $800 shipped. Adjustable for width and quality welds as well as fittings. They are currently listed around $849 including shipping on ebay. Easy installation.
Is this the one?

UNI-Arch "FREE SHIPPING"

This is interesting, but they are only up to 5' high, and I think this would be too low to mount on the stern - of a sailboat that is.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 06:14   #5

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin876 View Post
in my opinion forget stainless steel..go with schedule 40 aluminum much lighter and equally as strong..the proper and expensive thing to do is get a marine architect but I believe your ballast is somewhere between 5000 and 5600 lbs depending on if you have a wing or fin keel. maybe contact catalina and see what there suggestions are.. when I added my arch to my 1968 cheoy lee luders 36 I went a little overboard with adding davits also I added ballast and lost 1 knot but I am a laid back guy and enjoy I am not into Americas cup speed I am ok with the slow boat to china ....please post your results very interested in them
Kevin, could you share pictures of your arch? I am contemplating to add an arch and I have been told that the Luders designs are sensitive to weight aft, so aluminium would be an option. My hull design is pretty much the same as yours, but 3 feet shorter.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 06:28   #6
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Is this the one?

UNI-Arch "FREE SHIPPING"

This is interesting, but they are only up to 5' high, and I think this would be too low to mount on the stern - of a sailboat that is.
Check out their Senior arch
Sr. Uni Arch " Free Shipping"

that one goes up to 84 " high. Unfortunately for us, I need a 158" width and they only go to 135" wide.
Old 27-11-2015, 09:50   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Have any of you guys added a transom/radar arch to a Jeanneau 43DS? would appreciate some pics if you had one that worked. Am thinking off having space for some solar and also Wind gen, various antennae and safety gear as well as pulling up the tender under the arch.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:06   #8

I posted two photos of the Fish On Sports arch I used on my Cape Dory. I have since added a solar panel to each side of the radar dome. For the poster who indicated they needed a larger span, I would suggest contacting Fish On and ask if the arch could be supplied with longer center tubes. I had to cut a foot off of mine to fit. The Jr arch is 60 inches, a senior arch is also available that is 84 inches, that is from base to top of arch. See the photos posted under EQUIPMENT. You could probably obtain similiar sized aluminum tubing locally to extend the span if Fish On can't ship with a longer center span tube set.
Old 07-12-2015, 10:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
Check out their Senior arch
Sr. Uni Arch " Free Shipping"

that one goes up to 84 " high. Unfortunately for us, I need a 158" width and they only go to 135" wide.
I posted two photos of the 60 inch arch mounted on my Cape Dory. See the EQUIPMENT area of the forum. There is more then adequate clearance. I have also seen davits added to this mount to hold a kayak. The construction is substantial and you can climb on the arch with no deflection.

Tags
arc, radar, radar arch