Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2015, 20:45   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 510
Re: Question for the Pros: When to Replace Rudder Bearings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Holy smoke!

I was concerned about your rudder bearings until I read about your gluten free waffle incident... Are you OK???
I think I'll live, but I may have to consult a doctor to be sure. When did everyone become allergic to gluten anyways? Growing up, I've never heard of that allergy, then all of a sudden, everybody has to stay away from it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CaptNemoO2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 02:28   #17

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNemoO2 View Post
So he's got to lift me up. I also called the local dealer, he said Beneteau's price is $700 for the top, and $1250 for the bottom. Even he was shocked by that. The top I'm not worried about, that's easy to have made. But the bottom? Any body know of a source for metal (bronze?) bottom bushings?

That's $2k - a set of custom machined Jefa roller bearings will cost you a lot less than that.

mine cost $600 - my stock is smaller than yours - but stil a long ways up to $2k

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 03:39   #18

Boat: Stevens 47

Quote:
Thanks for the guidance. Just to be clear, the 1/4" of movement was measured at the lowest part of the rudder, 6 feet below the bottom bearing.

I was able to get a hand to move the rudder to see the movement at the top bearing. It looks like the movement is there. There is not much play at the bottom bearing. My current plan is to replace the top bearing first and see if that solves the problem. This doesn't require me having to have the yard re-lift the boat. If there is still too much movement, I'll do the bottom bearing.

You wouldn't have to move the boat to drop the rudder unless you are on pavement.....just dig a hole under the rudder and drop it down.....

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 04:08   #19

Boat: Stevens 47

Ooops, just saw your post about the yard.....geesh! Not getting any breaks here....

Friends of ours just did top and bottom bearings on their Saga 43...top bearing was 1800, bottom about 700.....they were lucky, they dug a hole and didn't have to relift.....not cheap these things!

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 06:12   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
That's $2k - a set of custom machined Jefa roller bearings will cost you a lot less than that.

mine cost $600 - my stock is smaller than yours - but stil a long ways up to $2k
Really? I didn't think they would be inexpensive. I doubt I would go with those though. That requires replacing the entire rudder tube, plus there's something to be said about plain simple bushings. While the roller bearings would be nice, I'm not a performance boat, and I worry about the longevity of the bearing. Although if they are easily replaceable, that's something that could be done in the water. My rudder stock enters the hull above the static waterline.

Does anybody know what kind of bronze is used for the bottom?

Old 13-12-2015, 06:18   #21

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Really? I didn't think they would be inexpensive. I doubt I would go with those though. That requires replacing the entire rudder tube, plus there's something to be said about plain simple bushings. While the roller bearings would be nice, I'm not a performance boat, and I worry about the longevity of the bearing. Although if they are easily replaceable, that's something that could be done in the water. My rudder stock enters the hull above the static waterline.

Does anybody know what kind of bronze is used for the bottom?

Wy would you replace the tube? I didn't. the rollerbearings come in a synthic material housing. Take the old bearings out - measure them on the outside (and inside and your stock).. The outside of the bearing housing as a set of grooves. fill the grooves with sikaflex and slide them up into the rudder tube.
Now slide your rudder stock up into the bearings (the hard part is getting the stock aligned and into the upper bearing)

The roller bearingsa re lubricated by salt water. If you are afraid of salt build-up, pour a bucket of fresh water down the rudder tube occasionally

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 07:24   #22

Quote:
Wy would you replace the tube? I didn't. the rollerbearings come in a synthic material housing. Take the old bearings out - measure them on the outside (and inside and your stock).. The outside of the bearing housing as a set of grooves. fill the grooves with sikaflex and slide them up into the rudder tube.
Now slide your rudder stock up into the bearings (the hard part is getting the stock aligned and into the upper bearing)

The roller bearingsa re lubricated by salt water. If you are afraid of salt build-up, pour a bucket of fresh water down the rudder tube occasionally
When I spoke to Jefa (PYI) at the boat show, they said the roller bearings come pre-installed in a tube since that's easier and more reliable then enlarging the existing hole. There's no way a roller bearing would fit without doing that, as the bushing in there now is only maybe .190" thick. I would have to enlarge the ID of the tube, or reduce the OD of the stock.

Old 14-12-2015, 06:01   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Quote:

I spoke to the yard, they said no way to digging a hole. He's not against it, there's large rocks/boulders used as a base underneath the gravel.
Wussy...

Quote:
I think I'll live, but I may have to consult a doctor to be sure. When did everyone become allergic to gluten anyways? Growing up, I've never heard of that allergy, then all of a sudden, everybody has to stay away from it.
I think such allergens became endemic after the advent of not drinking out of the garden hose and riding in the back of pickup trucks.... Sad demise...

Quote:

Jefa!!!
Nooooooo Way JP3....

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 10:44   #24

Quote:
Wussy...
How dare you challenge my manliness!Click image for larger version

Name:	1450550224120.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	115305
I even pickled it up and carried it to my car all by myself.

Quote:
I think such allergens became endemic after the advent of not drinking out of the garden hose and riding in the back of pickup trucks.... Sad demise...
Definitely a sad demise. Technically I'm part of the Millennial genereation, albeit barely, but I refuse to accept that. Calling me a Millennial is an insult of the highest degree. I consider myself the last of the "Walk it off" generation.

Quote:
Jefa!!!
Nooooooo Way JP3....
I had a quick look, but I still don't see how a roller bearing setup will work without major surgery. Click image for larger version

Name:	1450550638615.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	115306

Tags
rudder