Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2019, 14:39   #16

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: PVC Glue for inflatable dinghy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I just picked up West System G/flex 655 thickened epoxy adhesive (about $17) for my PVC dinghy. It's a simple 2 part hardner/resin (125 ml each tube). Instructions also said to "flame treat" the plastic first. I'd not seen that in the how-to's before. It says the flame oxidizes the surface and creates a better bond. Time will tell how well it works. I spent the last waning hour of the day gluing and clamping a patch on a really awkward spot. Now I wait 24 hours for the moment of truth.
It has now been a few days and I'm impressed with G/flex. The patch feels extremely sturdy and well bonded. Not like the contact cement or some other 2-part stuff I'd tried previously. I'm super happy. It also doesn't need multiple coats with 3-5 min of drying in between that some of the DIY videos had said to do. You'll just waste a bunch and have a mess to clean up if you were to do that....

gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, inflatable