Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2016, 08:03   #1

PVC dinghy and permanent marker

I'm thinking of putting our license numbers on the dinghy (PVC) with permanent marker and stencils (sharpie). Any chance of damaging the dinghy? Thanks everyone
tmoandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:22   #2

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Re: PVC dinghy and permanent marker

It will look good for a couple months, then fade away and need reapplying. After several attempts with magic marker and sharpie pens I'm giving up and attaching a plastic number board with wire ties.
If you go with the markers keep the stencil handy for future use.
brazenarticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:22   #3

Boat: Camano Troll

You won't damage the dinghy but the marker will fade and you'll have to redo the numbers every year or two.

I used spray paint (made for vinyl upholstery recoloring) on a PVC dinghy and it worked great. I tried it on a hypalon dinghy and it came off with the stencil. I used a marker and it worked but it's faded pretty badly after two years.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:55   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Two years ago I painted the numbers on my Hypolon dinghy and so far so good.
I abraded the area well with a scotchbrite pad and used the cheapest flat black spray paint available at Lowes.
I think next time I'll clean the area real well with Toluene first.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:59   #5

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

I use sharpies to draw the numbers on my PVC dinghy. Does no damage. Lasts 6 months then needs to be redone. Lasts longer if you keep the dink covered. I used stencils the first time but just follow the faded numbers when I renew them. Quick and easy.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:56   #6

Thanks everyone for the advice!
Old 11-02-2016, 10:33   #7

Boat: Seafarer 26

I use black 'permanent' magic marker and have to reapply every year. Dink is covered when not used in summer and stored deflated throughout the winter. I also looked into using one of the 'hang-on' type boards with painted numbers but this is not allowed in Connecticut as the numbers "have to be permanently attached to the vehicle". If you decide to go that route, check first!

Cheers . .
PuppyFeet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 11:14   #8

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

I used a stencil kit and spray paint for a PVC dinghy. Two years and holding, but I store the dinghy inside a building in winter.

Check on boards and ties. My understanding is the USCG won't accept that system as it is not "permanent." Before I painted my numbers on the dinghy, I tired to get a set of boards and was told they had stopped selling them for that reason. The type sold now are glue on. I did not have good luck--came off after a year, so I got out the spray paint.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:31   #9

I'm not sure what the rules stipulate in our jurisdiction but I'd like to have the numbers permanently affixed anyway to discourage theft! I think I'm going to use marker. I don't mind colouring in the numbers from time to time! Thanks again everyone
Old 12-02-2016, 07:19   #10

Boat: Beneteau 331

I have seen advertisement for a new more permanent marker that is fade resistant.
FULLCIRCLE331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 07:33   #11

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

I had very good results using Krylon Fusion spray paint. It's made for plastics. A couple of years in the FL sun and no need to touch it up yet.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 08:25   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
I use sharpies to draw the numbers on my PVC dinghy. Does no damage. Lasts 6 months then needs to be redone. Lasts longer if you keep the dink covered. I used stencils the first time but just follow the faded numbers when I renew them. Quick and easy.

S/V B'Shert
Or just brush some varnish over the sharpie numbers.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:07   #13

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoandj View Post
I'm thinking of putting our license numbers on the dinghy (PVC) with permanent marker and stencils (sharpie). Any chance of damaging the dinghy? Thanks everyone
Hi Tmoandj,

Permanent markers won't hurt the PVC, but will fade quickly and consequently may be considered non-compliant unless you keep them fresh and of specified size and font. If you are going that route, see if you can get the wide permanent markers they sell at locations that sell crab, shrimp, lobster pots [The marker is used on the floats...] They hold up a little better.

If you decide you want something more permanent- and for the cost of 10 of the above markers- you can't go wrong with BoatNumberPlate.com.

In case this is helpful.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 12-02-2016, 12:16   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

If you wanted to go "forever" and "first class", you could pick up a piece of Hypalon, or PVC, whichever matches your dink in a contrasting color. Then either ask a local vinyl sign shop to cut out the numbers you need (or an online machine shop, they can lasercut and waterjet cut anything) and use the appropriate "permanent repair" adhesive to affix them, very carefully.

If the dink is stole, no amount of scratching or sanding is likely to get them off. Ever.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:29   #15

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Painting or drawing the numbers is the easy part. The harder problem is getting the state registration decal to stick to the PVC. I never found a good solution so I stuck them (noncompliant) to the plywood transom. I've seen quite a few stuck to engine cowls too. Any better fixes?

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy