Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2021, 19:16   #31

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: putting and arc in bimini tubing w/o a bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Ah, as others have pointed out its a 2-3 inch curve over an 8 foot length!

Uncle Bob

I was responding to another person who pointed out there was a minimum bend they were capable of. Go back and read the thread before making that sort of smart aleck comment. Geeez!
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 20:05   #32

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch
Re: Putting an arc in bimini tubing w/o a bender

Have a look at the Harbor Freight tubing roller. It's made to roll a gentle, consistent bend in tubing.
Bellinghamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 20:34   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

This is not that hard at all- you dont need a professional- i did mine by using one of the pylons on our floating dock as a fulcrum and a cleat on the dock to hold one end of the pole- i started the bend then moved the pole a bit and put some more force on and worked my way down the pole- at the halfway point i swapped ends- took no time at all and was amazingly easy to do. making an 8 foot piece arch up 3 t0 4 inches in the center is easy-- one word of caution- bend slow- it is real easy to add a bit more bend but hard as heck to take any out. it was the easiest part of my project ( in my case i was bending 1 inch rails to match the curve of my hull in order to make a hard rail lifeline the length of the boat.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 20:42   #34

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I read that as 2-3" of bend over the 8 foot length, say for the top of the bimini so it doesn't look flat.

Pete

Exactly, the 2-3" value is that sagitta not the radius.

Typically it isn't necessary for the bend to be over the entire 8' length. A large radius bend in the center that provides the 2"-3" loft is usually sufficient and is much easier to achieve on a DIY basis. Truck or tractor tires work well as forms as they are resilient and have a large enough radius to prevent kinks.

I would find a dump truck and wedge the 8' length between the dual rear wheels with the dump body up, then carefully lower the dump body to achieve the desired amount of bend. You could do two at once and they would come out identical.
Old 12-01-2021, 21:11   #35

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Uncle Bob

I was responding to another person who pointed out there was a minimum bend they were capable of. Go back and read the thread before making that sort of smart aleck comment. Geeez!

Ah, here was me thinking that both had not realised the curve was spread over an 8 foot length, probably because the thread is about that, not guards etc.
Forgive me.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 21:35   #36

Quote:
Ah, here was me thinking that both had not realised the curve was spread over an 8 foot length, probably because the thread is about that, not guards etc.
Forgive me.

Maybe read the thread before commenting rather than just make assumptions?
Old 12-01-2021, 22:48   #37

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Maybe read the thread before commenting rather than just make assumptions?
Thread read from start to wherever, I noted why I made the post and as usual you have demonstrated just what a thorough gentleman you are.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 11:36   #38

Fill it with sand and bend it.
If you don't like that idea then get a tight coiled spring that just slides over it and then bend it . I would make a practice bend first (near the end that you can cut off) to see how your material reacts to the bending. If you kink it, you can't unkink it ! If you make a nice bend on the end , you (or a shop) can cut it off and tig weld it anywhere on your pipe.good luck.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 11:42   #39

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

2-3" of arc over an 8ft length doesn't take any special tools at all. I used 1" stainless tubing to replace my top lifeline wires. All you need to do is step on it and gently pull up a few inches at the far end, move forward a few inches and repeat until you you get to the end of the length. check the curve and then repeat. Its really not much curve at all. I used this method for my lifelines it was surprisingly easy to do.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 11:43   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorzech View Post
Fill it with sand and bend it.
If you don't like that idea then get a tight coiled spring that just slides over it and then bend it . I would make a practice bend first (near the end that you can cut off) to see how your material reacts to the bending. If you kink it, you can't unkink it ! If you make a nice bend on the end , you (or a shop) can cut it off and tig weld it anywhere on your pipe.good luck.
AGAIN! ...........He's bending a very shallow arc, 3" high arc in 8 ft of length! No sand or mandrel required. Both are only used to support the tube when doing a tight bend radius .

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 16:26   #41

I defy anyone who thinks they can get a 2"/3" gentle curve bend in 8ft using the fork of a tree! I've tried to straighten pipes (not for the yacht) in the fork of a tree and it never bent exactly where I wanted it bent.

In the end I suppose it depends on what standard you are happy with.

Just came across this.

https://www.machines4u.com.au/mag/be...ithout-bender/
Old 13-01-2021, 16:38   #42

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Unbending is harder than bending because the metal work hardens. In the olden days the circus strongman would bend a bar and offer a prize to anyone that could unbend it. Not many, if any, prizes were given.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 17:53   #43

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII

I am having a new dodger skin made fora frame I already owned. When the canvas guy came to quote the project he noticed both bows had a flat top. He said they would need to be crowned and added $50 to the bill for hsi shop to do it. I thought that extremely fair and now that I have read this thread and realize how tricky bending can be (mine is 7/8) I feel even better. I rarely use pros for boat work but canvas and especially dodgers have to beright so I called a highly recommended pro.
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2021, 20:53   #44

Quote:
Thread read from start to wherever, I noted why I made the post and as usual you have demonstrated just what a thorough gentleman you are.

Of course I am a gentleman: I'm an Aussie like you. (I suppose you mistakenly thought I was from the US of A?)
Old 17-01-2021, 16:45   #45

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

If you must do it yourself without the right tools, fill the tubing completely with sand before you start shaping it.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, bimini