Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2015, 07:44   #1

Boat: '87 Ericson 34
Putting a Sailboat on the Hard

I am not sure if this is the correct spot for this question, but here goes.
Does anybody have a good way of accurately leveling out (for and aft and starboard port) fin keeled sailboat when placing her on the cradle.....other than eyeballing it???
I thought sure mine was level last year, but we got a blow in November, and the starboard aft pad ended up being loose; I tightened it a couple times over winter, but that seemed to only force the boat to port, and put extra weight on the port aft pad. When looking at the boat from the bow, it also looked as though the keel moved a little (about 1/2" to starboard).
I am concerned about stressing the hull asymmetrically. The boat is an '87 Ericson 34. She is built sturdily, but certainly don't want to tempt fate. The pads are mounted on large threaded rods.
Thanks Howard
calhdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 16:36   #2
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Putting a Sailboat on the Hard

I usually put a digital level on the cabin sole, cockpit floor, counter tops, and anywhere else they would have used a level during construction. These rarely agree, so I take the average and call it level. I'm sure this is because my digi is far more accurate than the builders bubble level, if they even used one. Be warned, demanding a perfectly level block out can lead to angry lift operators!

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
on the hard, sail, sailboat