Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2011, 08:50   #16

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
We've got beige decks and hull. The heat isn't all that bad, but I've been an employee on ships before. The decks are generally painted green or black or red, and dark. In the middle of the day you couldn't make it from the forepeak to the house (that is painted white for a reason) without feeling like you were being broiled.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 09:00   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
i have beige decks and i want white-- beige hurts feets. burning. every shade off arctic white is another 10 degrees of hot to feets. have fun-- try to have her enjoy white or very very pale deckings.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 09:02   #18

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Another vote for Imron. Just rolled and tipped 3 coats on my boat. Buff-able, "blow-in-able", holds color, and can be mixed in just about any color.
Dupont also does an easy-apply epoxy primer. Goes on white, but over a day takes on a very pale pink hue, which sands back to white so you can see prep work. Great stuff.
Old 17-02-2011, 13:14   #19

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
Why don't you just buy her a set of purple tinted sunglasses, and call the boat 'Alvin'?
Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 14:09   #20

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
I've painted some affordable 1 component matt black over the actual 2 component paint system (previous owner's blue). It does come off fairly quickly as pointed out above, but can be redone easily as & when.. So if the existing paint system is in good shape, just wipe it down with some benzine (solvent) and off you go.

A more pragmatic friend of mine has been using cheapo household paints on his steel boat (synthetic paint, solvent based) exclusively for decades, so it can be done
Old 17-02-2011, 16:09   #21

Boat: a sailing boat
My own boat black and no issues with sun induced heat.

Low topsides, some insulation maybe 5 mm, foam.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 16:23   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
My own boat black and no issues with sun induced heat.

Low topsides, some insulation maybe 5 mm, foam.

b.
Said b., the anonymous sailor who has some kind of boat, probably with sails somewhere on planet earth on one of the seven seas or maybe a small lake.

Black hull temp doesn't matter if you sail in Iceland or South Georgia Islands. On the other hand if you spend August in Venezuela I bet you would notice the effect of a black hull.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 17:19   #23

Boat: Cheoy Lee OS40
Paint

There is an company in Edmonton, Canada; that makes a product called ENDURA. They started making a very durable industrial paint for painting ol rigs and off road trucks. They have continued to adjust their product line to compete with any thing that I have used. It is a modified Epoxy, and is tough shinny (that wet look) and chemical resistant.They even have an ENDURA paint with TEFLON in it. I would like to try this as a bottom paint as nothing will stick to it. I use this stuff daily painting airplanes.They will custom mix any colour you could imagine. Call them at 1-780-451-4242

OTC
oldtomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 17:42   #24

Good house paint

Don't be sucked in by the marine industry's 'special' marine paints.

A good exterior house paint with plenty of UVs (like Solagard or equivalent) is all you need for the topsides and decks of any boat material.

And with these paints, there is of course an extensive colour range and they are usually water-based.

This is not just talk; I have a steely on which I use Solagard and it's a dream to apply and lasts as long as any 'marine' paint. Others I know with valuable heritage vessels also use good house paints with complete confidence.

Try it, get the colour you want, and spend the difference on beer.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 18:12   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
With all due respect, exterior house paint is nowhere near the durability as something like Awlgrip. House paint will be peeling and look chalky in a matter of a few years if applied to a boat in its environment. It will also look like you put house paint on a boat. Have you ever seen house paint on a car?...same thing. It looks bad when it is applied and even worse in a few years.

What I would do is look at Awlgrip (which is specifically formulated for a marine environment) and mix red and blue together. Keep a record of which paint you used and which ratio it was.

Awlgrip color cards...
Color Card
Color Card

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 19:16   #26

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Black hull temp doesn't matter if you sail in Iceland or South Georgia Islands. On the other hand if you spend August in Venezuela I bet you would notice the effect of a black hull.
Reminds me of a noob in Mexico who had a Black hulled Swan.
He insisted it wasn't a problem when he arrived there in December.
By March, he always had a space blanket hanging over the side where his fridge was located.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 20:01   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
with those colours at least they will save on propane,they'll be able to do refried beans on deck,and scrambled eggs.............
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 20:05   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
With all due respect, exterior house paint is nowhere near the durability as something like Awlgrip. House paint will be peeling and look chalky in a matter of a few years if applied to a boat in its environment. It will also look like you put house paint on a boat. Have you ever seen house paint on a car?...same thing. It looks bad when it is applied and even worse in a few years.
Same experiments, different results. I guess that just shows that science might be able to provide definitive answers to our questions if only we could get someone other than us humans to conduct the experiments.

I think though that the peeling and chalkiness is a usually just a matter of preparation or paint quality. But you're right about the motor car - I'm never gonna try that again.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2011, 22:04   #29

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
FWIW:

Last May we had our topsides sprayed with an automotive LPU paint called Pro-Tec Paraglaze 606. It is a buffable LPU. We had our choice of Awlgrip or other marine paints or this one. The painting contractor (Bayview Slipway on the Pittwater) was happy to use whatever we wanted, but advised that in their experience the Pro-Tec had BETTER gloss retention than Awlgrip, and was significantly cheaper. The color selection was essentially infinite. We chose a very light gray, and are quite happy with the color and the paint. Obviously it is still early days, but after 9 months (mostly in the tropics)there is no deterioration of gloss, no fading, no scratching, no fender abrasion marks.

In the painters opinion, the automotive environment is far harsher on paints than the marine environment... and he paints both boats and automobiles!

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Towlers Bay, NSW, Oz
Old 18-02-2011, 14:03   #30

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
I'd give automotive paints a good look. I drive a Mazda pickup which was painted metallic gold. The truck was new in June of 2000, and has lived its entire life outside through Canadian winters. The amount of salt on our roads has to be seen to be believed. Plus Sand. I have had several stone chips on the glass, and the glass is getting badly pitted. However the front of the truck, has only one small pit about 1/8th of an inch in diameter, and its not spreading. Been there for about 6 years now. I think I've washed the truck about 6x since new. Most of the time I let the rain do it's thing.

I still get compliments on what a sharp paint job it is, and questions as to who resprayed it.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull paint, paint, steel hull