Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2009, 15:19   #1

Boat: Westsail 32
Pur Power Survivor

I was wondering if any of the members have experience with the Pur Power Survivor line of water makers and if so the general overall experience with the equipment?
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 15:56   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
First, I love the Westsails.
Pur Power Survivor makes a good unit. They are as reliable as most if properly taken care of. What size were you thinking of?
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 16:34   #3

I like the idea that they appear to be a fairly compact unit. I have PUR purification filters in the house, like em. I would think the largest capacity that would fit. How long have you had your unit and what model?
Old 28-07-2009, 17:50   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
I was wondering if any of the members have experience with the Pur Power Survivor line of water makers and if so the general overall experience with the equipment?
I had a Power Survivor 35 for 10yrs and was very happy with it. It only produced about 1.3 gal/hr so we had to seriously conserve water. If you have the room and budget, consider the PUR 80 or 160.

I did have one maintenance issue (leak) and PUR sent me repair parts promptly.

Good luck.
Old 28-07-2009, 18:22   #5

I think due to the high pressures involved leaks are expected from time to time with watermakers. For this reason I want to locate the unit so it can drain into the bilge.
Old 28-07-2009, 18:50   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
PUR has been bought by Katadyn. Repair parts were already expensive, but have gotten worse with the new ownership. I have used PUR 80-II units on two different boats. The first lasted fine the two years I used the boat. The second has been installed for 14 years, and has needed new membranes twice (the first was due to an omission in the manual, which has been corrected). The membranes are proprietary and relatively expensive ($750 before Katadyn took over), but what got me was when the gearbox on the drive unit needed a new bearing. Katadyn wouldn't sell me a replacment ('those drives are not supposed to come apart"), and wanted 2000 euro ($2500) for a new motor and gearbox. After a lot of searching on the internet, I found what I needed--it was a 'cam follower bearing' for $20. Katadyn also sold me a new SS shaft for the pump for $200.

The leaks have been centered around where the hoses attach to the pump housing, and limited to seepage. I have rebuilt the pump once, but it probably didn't need it. I bought the cruising repair kit when the unit was new, and by the time I needed to rebuild the pump 10 years later, the seals in the kit had gotten hard.

I really haven't found anyone who is in love with their watermaker, but doubt I would buy a new PUR/Katadyn.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2009, 18:55   #7

Don, is thre another company you would like better?
Old 29-07-2009, 05:49   #8

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Have had a PUR Power Survivor 40 for 7 years. Zero problems. We use it to produce drinking and cooking water Kept in jugs first. Then into the tanks for other use. We carry 175 gallons of fresh water in tanks and can go over a month without filling. Nearly always get a rain to refill or get to a stop with free, or at least cheap water to fill.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2009, 06:04   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Needs and capabilities.
What water needs do you require. What are your boats capabilities of supplying a watermaker it's power and your boats capabilities to replenish that power? There is a balance that you want to achieve.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote