Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2019, 11:28   #1

Prout construction methods, moisture in fibreglass and Prout Quasar experience reques

Looking for some advice on Prout Quasar hull construction and if anyone is familiar with moisture problems in or throughout the fibreglass laminates. Surveyor recently detected high moisture readings on a Trammex testing tool (testing gel coat, not bottom paint ). Sounding with a hammer produced results from “very thin sounding” acoustic readings to OK sounding but also included some delaminated type responses too.
He was perplexed because there is no evidence of any wood core below the Deck to Hull seam
We took off lining panel internally, opposite stbd head, to confirm no core, and found high readings internally too on a towel dried and clean surface.
So he mentioned a potential for delaminating laminate from laminate in the pure GRP hull construction
Has anyone had a “no side effect” experience of a soggy Prout? I’m concerned about structural strength and integrity
Late 70s construction - with some small blisters too, but ones I can monitor and deal with. No blisters in the high reading areas outside “yet”
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1092.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	197142Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1017.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	197143
Thorntonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 22:11   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Prout construction methods, moisture in fibreglass and Prout Quasar experience re

Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft - Page 69 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

www.cruisersforum.com › Cruisers & Sailing
Forums › The Fleet › Multihull Sailboats
(SEE COMMENT #1030)
Apr 29, 2018 - 15 posts - ‎6 authors
Just reading a thread about a Prout that went down off the Caicos, and apparently the owner found a delamination or some other problem in the ...Rudder Repair on Prout Snowgoose 8 posts 2 Aug 2011
The Prout Debate - Page 3 15 posts 17 Dec 2013
Delamination in a Privilege? 10 posts 31 Aug 2012
****Prout construction methods, moisture in fibreglass and ... 1 post 3 Aug 2019

Prout Snowgoose 37 - Sailing Magazine

sailingmagazine.net/article-permalink-554.html
Nov 10, 2008 - While holed up in the Azores I saw three Prout Snowgoose 37s in the ... There were no signs of deck delamination, gelcoat crazing or leaks.

Unfit deckware as installed by Prout Catamarans - von Wentzel

www.vonwentzel.net/Prout/08.OEM/02.Deckware/index.html

Our repair of the defects on our Prout Escale. ... As usual, the cheap paint that Prout used to "waterproof" the plywood floor structure had delaminated. We had to ...

Structural Issues on our Prout Catamaran - Effects - von Wentzel

www.vonwentzel.net/Prout/07.Structural/02.Effects/index.html

Witness our repair efforts to improve the structural strength of our Prout ... such as the delamination between the saloon section and the surrounding bulkheads.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:20   #3

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Prout construction methods, moisture in fibreglass and Prout Quasar experience re

I know of a couple of products that had rebuild the heels and parts of the hulls due to the water in their tanks causing issues.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 21:32   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Modernizing a Prout Elite 37ft - Page 69 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

www.cruisersforum.com › Cruisers & Sailing
Forums › The Fleet › Multihull Sailboats
(SEE COMMENT #1030)
Apr 29, 2018 - 15 posts - ‎6 authors
Just reading a thread about a Prout that went down off the Caicos, and apparently the owner found a delamination or some other problem in the ...Rudder Repair on Prout Snowgoose 8 posts 2 Aug 2011
The Prout Debate - Page 3 15 posts 17 Dec 2013
Delamination in a Privilege? 10 posts 31 Aug 2012
****Prout construction methods, moisture in fibreglass and ... 1 post 3 Aug 2019

Prout Snowgoose 37 - Sailing Magazine

sailingmagazine.net/article-permalink-554.html
Nov 10, 2008 - While holed up in the Azores I saw three Prout Snowgoose 37s in the ... There were no signs of deck delamination, gelcoat crazing or leaks.

Unfit deckware as installed by Prout Catamarans - von Wentzel

www.vonwentzel.net/Prout/08.OEM/02.Deckware/index.html

Our repair of the defects on our Prout Escale. ... As usual, the cheap paint that Prout used to "waterproof" the plywood floor structure had delaminated. We had to ...

Structural Issues on our Prout Catamaran - Effects - von Wentzel

www.vonwentzel.net/Prout/07.Structural/02.Effects/index.html

Witness our repair efforts to improve the structural strength of our Prout ... such as the delamination between the saloon section and the surrounding bulkheads.

Thanks for al the pointers - made for some interesting reading and also the first time I’ve seen someone having many criticisms of Prout build approach/quality
Have always seen people calling them slow but safe, overbuilt tanks of the sea
Seems like there are some models that struggled in the early days
Old 05-08-2019, 21:34   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
I know of a couple of products that had rebuild the heels and parts of the hulls due to the water in their tanks causing issues.

I’ve also seen posts of keel water tanks flaming into water flow and ending filters
Saw someone rebuild a keel too, but I think they popped a hole during beaching

I wonder if 40 years of water storage would see fluid wick up through the GRP

Tags
asa, enc, Prout Quasar