Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2006, 06:53   #31

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Good of you folks to commiserate (sp) with me, and to provide some suggestions. We're now in the BVIs, and still scraping the props from time to time. No big deal down here, and I'm not complaining. Just came back from Foxy's, where we had some bushwackers. And... they have wireless, which we are now enjoying.

A comment about the plastic bags. They might work, but plastic is sometimes mistaken by the turtles for jelly-fish, one of their favourite foods; and it can kill them. Better the turtles live, and eat those jelly fish, right?

I can't imagine anything more tenacious than that lanolin, short of tar, so I wouldn't bother with greases.

I might try a tin-based paint, next time I'm out of the water, but the problem is the quick-oxidizing brass interferes with the adhesion. Anyway, for now, I'll keep scraping. The hell here never ends!! ;-)
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2006, 12:45   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Yes there is one product more tenaciouse than lanoline. I worked for Wynns here in NZ many many years ago. We had a product called Viscotine. I still think very highly of it today. As one of those "fun to lets see" tests, I sprayed it on my outboard prop and then went away water skiign for the day. At the end of the day, it was still on the prop. I have njo idea as to how long it would stay on. No idea as to wether it is any better or worse than Lanoline. But hey, it is worth a try.
DON'T USE PLASTIC BAGS!!!!

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2006, 15:30   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Even petroleum jelly (Vasoline) will stick to a prop. ”If your just sitting around the harbor...”.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2006, 23:13   #34

Boat: Lexcen 40
I believe that Hempels in NZ make a lanolin based product which works well. As far as I am aware it is not the same (exactly) as lanolin from the chemist. The Hempels works well if the prop is heated first to expand the micropourous surface of the blades and allow deeper penertration. However it lasts no longer than antifoul and gives the fish somthing shiny to look at.

Hard and ablative antifoul is fine so long as an epoxy coat or two is applied first to create an electrolytical barrier and prevent electrolysis.

Products written in Spanish usually originate from Mexico. The paint companies are well aware of what is required to make a product that will literally last forever. However many marine products, chemicals and paints from Mexico are carcinogenic. It is illegal for paint manufacturers in most countries to manufacture and export and also fro distributors to import. In most countries it is also illegal for professional appplicators to apply these products even when supplied by the client due to HSE regulations and employment laws etc.
alienzdive is offline   Reply With Quote