Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2012, 11:52   #1

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Propane Parts

Just finished up some maintenance and repairs on my propane system. Had to replace a few so called "marine grade" components. Tired of paying obviously ridiculous prices for these items that are no more marine grade than what you get at Home Depot. So, found some alternatives in the non-marine market place. Thought I would pass these suggestions along.

LP Solenoid. What a huge rip off. WM & Defender sell standard 1/4" solenoids for $50-65 each. I picked up exactly the same product (same actual manufacturer and model number) for $15 from a company that services LP gas driven forklifts. For less than the $60 I would have spent for one, I replaced mine and bought two spares.

LP Check Valve "T" by Marshall Gas. I had a so-called "marine grade" two-tank changeover/regulator by Trident that costs $150-200 in the marine marketplace. It of course corroded to oblivion within in few years...so much for "marine grade". You can buy essentially the exact same product for about $50 in the RV market. I don't like "automatic" change overs because I want to know when the first tank runs out. So, I found a very slick little product which I really like: It is a simple compact brass "T" with a check-valve inside of it. So, you can connect two tanks with this "T" and when you remove one to be filled the check-valve stops the flow out the vacant hose. To switch tanks just close one tank valve and open the other. Simple, compact, non-corrosive, and only $15. See MARSHALL Disc Check Tee - FSI

I mounted all of these components along with the regulator in a weather proof plastic junction box to help protect them better.

Now, time to get out of here and go cruise-test this stuff!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2012, 11:56   #2

Boat: PT-11
Re: Propane Parts

Thanks! This is my next project and these are great tips.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:29   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Propane Parts

Received a PM requesting specifics on the solenoid valve I purchased. Thought I would post my reply here for the benefit of others:

Sorry for the delay, just getting underway leaving Rio Dulce when I got your PM.

I purchased an Advanced Fuel Components model 151 solenoid.

I am in the process of switching machines and cannot locate the original vendor I purchased from, but here is a site that has this valve listed for $21.50. See https://www.rvparts.com/product-79-AFC151-12.

The specs for the valve on the manufacturer's web site are at AFC, Inc. - Advanced Fuel Components Incorporated Offering Quality Filters and Solenoid Valves.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parts, propane