Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 11:20   #31

Re: Propane Galley Stove Replacement

Seaward Princess. All I've ever had - two boats, over 30 years. Had one in for thermostat repair once. That's it. (They're in So Cal so it was convenient for me to take it in)

I can't imagine needing high BTU burners. Of course, my first stove was alcohol, so anything is better than that. I cook a lot. Posting from the boat, on a mooring in Avalon, Catalina Island, CA. Scones in the oven and sausage on top as I type (water for coffee already boiled and in the hot pot).
SailPenelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2013, 22:12   #32

Starting to look into CNG to propane conversion. CNG Seaward stove is in perfect condition, but no thermocouples. Seaward referred me to Sure Marine in Seattle, so we'll see. Meanwhile, for a new stove to fit into the same location, it looks like I'll be going with a Force 10. Which West Marine has in stock (hopefully, locally) so I can see if it fits without paying a lot of shipping.
Old 13-01-2013, 22:47   #33

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

SailPenelope. Speaking from my own experience, I was single for 15 years as a liveaboard and like to cook. I bought a Spinflo Voyager Stainless steel cooker with 2 burners, grill and regulated oven, I use propane because it burns hotter (so it cooks better) and cleaner. It comes with flame failure, gimbals and fiddle rails and pot clamps. I've never had any problems at all and would highly recommend it. Everyone of course has their own thoughts but it helps if you know someone who uses one to help you make your own personal choice.
Good Luck and Bon Appetite.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2013, 12:34   #34

Irish Rambler - Thanks! I checked out your stove online and it looks good. Of course, it appears to be made and sold in the U.K. I'm in the U.S. so am looking at the Force 10 - sold locally, and dimensions are what I need to fit into the existing opening.
Old 14-01-2013, 21:53   #35

Boat: Birchwood Centre Cockpit 33, Broom Shannon Class 42 flybridge.

SailPenelope. Force 10 is a good choice too. I found mine in a ships chandlers who'd bought it in early summer, the majority of refits are done early spring and it was on the shelf. I was in one day and jokingly said if it was 'shop soiled' I'd take it off his hands at a keen price. 2 weeks later I did.
Have a wee look around/online at RV/Caravan shops as they have basically a lot of the same stuff but usually at much keener prices.
As it's such a crucial piece of kit to everyday living it pays to get it right.
Good Luck in whatever you choose.
Irish rambler is offline   Reply With Quote