Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2019, 11:13   #1

prop shaft

I allways get good replyes here :-) so now I have a bronze shaft 1 1/8" and bronze propeller SS strut where do I put the zink anode on the shaft or strut? allso it seems hard to get any for that size shaft.
Soren
soerencarlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 12:23   #2
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: prop shaft

Quote:
Originally Posted by soerencarlsen View Post
I allways get good replyes here :-) so now I have a bronze shaft 1 1/8" and bronze propeller SS strut where do I put the zink anode on the shaft or strut? allso it seems hard to get any for that size shaft.
Your shaft will need the protection of an anode or two. Your strut may not. In any event, installing an anode on the strut provides no protection for the shaft, as the strut is insulated from the shaft by the cutless bearing.

Here's a good place to find most anodes, including a 1 1/8" streamlined collar (which should not be difficult to source in any case):

https://www.boatzincs.com/shaft1-sizes.html
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 12:50   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Your shaft will need the protection of an anode or two. Your strut may not. In any event, installing an anode on the strut provides no protection for the shaft, as the strut is insulated from the shaft by the cutless bearing.

Here's a good place to find most anodes, including a 1 1/8" streamlined collar (which should not be difficult to source in any case):

https://www.boatzincs.com/shaft1-sizes.html
Thanks. Forgot to mention I am located in Denmark, so even a bronze shaft needs the zinc anode .
soerencarlsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 12:53   #4
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by soerencarlsen View Post
Thanks. Forgot to mention I am located in Denmark, so even a bronze shaft needs the zinc anode .
Not sure what being in Denmark has to do with it, as every prop shaft needs some sort of cathodic protection.
Old 13-05-2019, 13:53   #5

You need an anode on the shaft. If there is provision for fitting on on the prop, that would not hurt as well.

IN ADDITION, I would add one to the strut. If it is electrically totally isolated from all the other metal in the boat, putting an anode on it is less important, but will still help protect against pitting.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 16:05   #6
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
IN ADDITION, I would add one to the strut. If it is electrically totally isolated from all the other metal in the boat, putting an anode on it is less important, but will still help protect against pitting.
My philosophy has always been; unless there is a compelling reason to add an anode where there wasn't one previously- don't. Especially on the strut.