Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: How satisfied are you with your project?
Very satisfied. I was already thinking of next project while still working on current project. 8 42.11%
Satisfied. Glad I did it, but will not take on another major project unless have to. 10 52.63%
Not very satisfied. I finished the project but it was very difficult. Never again. 1 5.26%
Complete disaster. Did not finish. One of the biggest mistakes I have ever made. 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2013, 09:30   #1

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'
Project Satisfaction Poll

For those that have taken on (not necessarily finished) a project such as building or refitting a cruising vessel.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 15:22   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Project Satisfaction Poll

Very satisfied. Other guy's boat. I have learned heaps.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2013, 21:43   #3
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Satisfied. Very pleased to have done it, but could never afford to go again on this scale.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 08:32   #4

I am a bit surprised that no one voted in the negative categories (yet?). Then again, I suppose that if someone had a "complete disaster" experience they likely are not boating and therefore not posting on a cruiser forum.

Still, the common advise given (even from me who loves to build) to someone who is proposing a major build or rebuild is: "It will take 4X as long and be 4X as expensive than your estimates and unless you really love to build - DO NOT DO IT".

I am wondering if maybe the above advise is a little to harsh?

Anyway, thanks to those that voted.

Steve
Old 31-08-2013, 08:44   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

Not harsh, just realistic. been there - done that twice. Never again.
Wasted years of not sailing for years of working my ass off. My hobby is riding boats not fixing boats.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 09:46   #6

Location: Dreaming - through the bars to the Chesapeake... Land cabin: near Raleigh, North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
I am a bit surprised that no one voted in the negative categories (yet?). Then again, I suppose that if someone had a "complete disaster" experience they likely are not boating and therefore not posting on a cruiser forum.

Still, the common advise given (even from me who loves to build) to someone who is proposing a major build or rebuild is: "It will take 4X as long and be 4X as expensive than your estimates and unless you really love to build - DO NOT DO IT".

I am wondering if maybe the above advise is a little to harsh?

Anyway, thanks to those that voted.

Steve
Maybe the term "satisfied" is interpreted in a current context, and throws off the results? Many project people are currently satisfied about the outcome of their project, because ... hey, they're sailing. But in retrospect, they would never recommend it because they would never put themselves through it again. Ever. So, they tend to be negativist in their advice and postings, while they are glad they have what they have (and are thus satisfied).

Maybe that's why boat builders are uniformly told "not to do it" on this forum?
Old 31-08-2013, 12:46   #7

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post
Maybe the term "satisfied" is interpreted in a current context, and throws off the results? Many project people are currently satisfied about the outcome of their project, because ... hey, they're sailing. But in retrospect, they would never recommend it because they would never put themselves through it again. Ever. So, they tend to be negativist in their advice and postings, while they are glad they have what they have (and are thus satisfied).

Yes, ( and what Mr B said too). After owning a few fixer uppers, I think buying a ready to cruise boat is the way to go. There will still be plenty of work, maintaining, and modifying for your specific wants/needs.
Old 31-08-2013, 12:58   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Yes, ( and what Mr B said too). After owning a few fixer uppers, I think buying a ready to cruise boat is the way to go. There will still be plenty of work, maintaining, and modifying for your specific wants/needs.
Absolutely, had enough of fibreglass, epoxy and paint, however, it kept me and the local chandlers gainfully employed for 6 months.

Before

and after:

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 13:18   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I selected "very satisfied", but I might not have understood the meaning of "project"! I've replaced some balsa deck coring, standing rigging (shrouds and spars), sails, engine, generator, most all electronics, rudder rebuild, through hulls, rub rail, dinghy davits, wind generator, radar, topside expoxy and more. You'd think that amount of work would designate mine as a project boat, but I was always cruising my boat over the time of this work and the work on this one boat has been going on for 29 years. So, is this project boat? .....and, if so, are all older boats project boats?
Old 31-08-2013, 13:52   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

I think simply those who got very dissatisfied with their projects have given up on boats and boat forums!

Sort of like walking into the dentist's asking who has a tooth problem and expecting the results to represent the population everages.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 14:22   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I think simply those who got very dissatisfied with their projects have given up on boats and boat forums!

Sort of like walking into the dentist's asking who has a tooth problem and expecting the results to represent the population everages.

b.
Yes, we should probable ignore the "complete disaster" category for this reason.

Steve
Old 31-08-2013, 14:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I selected "very satisfied", but I might not have understood the meaning of "project"! I've replaced some balsa deck coring, standing rigging (shrouds and spars), sails, engine, generator, most all electronics, rudder rebuild, through hulls, rub rail, dinghy davits, wind generator, radar, topside expoxy and more. You'd think that amount of work would designate mine as a project boat, but I was always cruising my boat over the time of this work and the work on this one boat has been going on for 29 years. So, is this project boat? .....and, if so, are all older boats project boats?
Your example was not quite what I had in mind when creating the poll. But now that it is on my mind, I reckon responses from these type of scenarios have value also.

Making a good, simple poll is difficult.

Steve
Old 31-08-2013, 14:56   #13

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post

+1. Satisfaction of result did not mean I'd want to go through the activity again.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 19:54   #14

Boat: Beneteau First 38

Doing keel bolts now.......I Thought all this was regular maintenance.....WHAT I'm OCD...

Cheers
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2013, 20:05   #15
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

didnt vote--there is no category for cruising your project, which i am doing..my project is many projects and i am very happy with progress so far---and i will not buy another boat as this one will last me my lifetime. ruling out dire emergency.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poll