Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2018, 12:38   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Problem with the electric marine head.

You can also buy deodorizers in liquid and powder form.
From the RV world there were two types, one was formaldehyde or other chemical based and the idea is to embalm it if you will, sterilize it so no bacteria can live, those were usually blue.
Then there is the biological approach, put lot of bacteria in that will help eliminate the odor. They were usually green or orange.
Key was they do not mix, one sort of neutralizes the other, so pick one way and stick with that.
I didn’t like the formaldehyde way myself, I assumed that was a chemical you don’t want to turn loose into the environment.

On the Boat, I installed a 1” vent with the new tank, short run and all uphill and so now put no additives into the tank.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 13:28   #17

Boat: 1993 Catalina 34
Re: Problem with the electric marine head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You can also buy deodorizers in liquid and powder form.
From the RV world there were two types, one was formaldehyde or other chemical based and the idea is to embalm it if you will, sterilize it so no bacteria can live, those were usually blue.
Then there is the biological approach, put lot of bacteria in that will help eliminate the odor. They were usually green or orange.
Key was they do not mix, one sort of neutralizes the other, so pick one way and stick with that.
I didn’t like the formaldehyde way myself, I assumed that was a chemical you don’t want to turn loose into the environment.

On the Boat, I installed a 1” vent with the new tank, short run and all uphill and so now put no additives into the tank.
a64pilot,
Thanks for the advice re: the two types of deoderizers. I think part of our oder problem was the standing water in the bowl which was compounded by the heat buildup in the salon while the boat was vacant. As the head became less and less efficient in emptying the bowl, more raw water was left standing. Since I'm using raw water straight from the marina, I'm sure that added to the smell. The head is now working as good as new and there's just a small amount at the bottom where the macerator is. I suspect the oder problem will be less.
daviddiscenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 15:49   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Problem with the electric marine head.

We switched to fresh water flush and that issue went away, but of course we use way more fresh water.
Also replaced all hoses and tank etc soon after, a couple of years later, I have zero, as in no calcium build up in the hose at all.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 06:17   #19

Boat: 1993 Catalina 34
Re: Problem with the electric marine head.

a64pilot,

I'm assuming you must have a one-way valve on the connection to your fresh water tank to prevent contamination. What did you use or did you install a separate fresh water tank?
daviddiscenza is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, head, marine, marine head