Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2021, 15:24   #16

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Pressure washing...to do or not to do?

For fiberglass I don't see a problem with the lower-pressure washers (~1600psi) if used properly (i.e. keep the nozzle at a distance). Just be cautious. Also, you probably don't want to do it if there will be an overnight freeze - any water absorbed could cause damage if frozen. But keep the damn thing away from any wood: it can do a lot of damage to wood.

Using a garden hose nozzle or low pressure washer for the topsides will knock off a lot of dirt and weed but probably not make it look clean. Using a mild acid on the topsides will remove any oxidized gelcoat and many stains (esp. rust) and is my way of doing things - just wash thoroughly afterwards, then wax.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 17:11   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat34shamrock View Post
I use a Hydroshot, works surprisingly well. As i'm in fresh water only need to throw the pick-up overboard. Uses very little water. A couple of 2 liter soda bottles will do the topsides. Like other power washers don't force high pressure water around any deck fittings.
https://www.worx.com/20v-hydroshot-p...ner-wg620.html

Thanks for the tip, Santa!

I clicked on your link and was intrigued by the portability of this little puppy. Concept with the battery is just like a weed whacker we got a few years ago and that works just great.

I read the comments and questions in the online FAQs, and I read half of those 84 FAQs and half of them were about how it doesn't work, and answered by, essentially, reading the directions !!! which say to get it to work right out of the box you HAVE TO hook a garden hose up to prime it. Doh...

So I looked at my usual suspects, i.e., local hardware stores, and Canadian Tire actually had a bunch of them and on sale, too! A pleasant surprise, price was $160+ with tax CDN. Golly!

I am now actually looking forward to springtime boating. Last year my knees said: "Never Again, Bozo!"

Thanks again for the reference and the quiklink.

Nice boat ya got, too!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 07:48   #18

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'

I have what is probably the same Ryobi pressure washer - the 1600 psi model that comes with three nozzles. I've used it with no bad results. As others have said - use the low-pressure (wide) nozzle for most things and keep the tip at least 6" away from the surface being sprayed. I do use the high pressure (blue?) tip to clean the raised non-skid deck, but again - I keep the nozzle away from the deck surface. It also does a great job on my vinyl cockpit cushions. I wouldn't be concerned to use it if I were you.
rls8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:26   #19

Boat: Amel 41
Send a message via Yahoo to lo2jones

I have found a pressure washer to be a great tool for finding leaks that need to be plugged: deck fittings included.
lo2jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:44   #20

An electric type , say 1200 psi +will work great. Anything too strong will peel off and vinyl name or striping though. Great for non skid decks especially!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 18:20   #21

Boat: 1984 Tartan 28, 2004 Hunter 36

Hey gang-

Anyone tried this 18V Ryobi cordless pressure washer? At just 320 psi, it may simply be ineffective. But compact enough to stow aboard. Thanks!
Kupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 09:24   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupe View Post
Hey gang-

Anyone tried this 18V Ryobi cordless pressure washer? At just 320 psi, it may simply be ineffective. But compact enough to stow aboard. Thanks!

Hi Kupe, I was just looking at the same pressure washer. Did you get it and if so how did you like it. I am hoping it would work well on the molded non skid on our Pacific Seacraft 32.

Thanks in advance,
Tony
Tphipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2023, 09:49   #23
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Why would anyone just sit aboard in a marina making oneself crazy about noise from neighbors

It’s a boat, take it out!

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
washing