Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2021, 17:19   #1

Preferences in barrier coating

Interlux? Pettit? Something else?

Curious as to your experiences!
Brassmonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 17:43   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Preferences in barrier coating

My experience is with the Interlux product. It has been trouble free since April of 2016. Four to five coats based on the thickness of your application is the key.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 19:05   #3

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

You might not get many answers because there is no general use best antifouling. It seems different types work in particular waters and none seem to be best across the planet. Asking locals seems to get the best answers.
Old 03-10-2021, 19:42   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
You might not get many answers because there is no general use best antifouling. It seems different types work in particular waters and none seem to be best across the planet. Asking locals seems to get the best answers.
Barrier coating as opposed to antifouling if I understood the original post correctly.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:32   #5

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassmonkeys View Post
Interlux? Pettit? Something else?

Curious as to your experiences!
Used both this summer. The Pettit is very thick and has much more solids than the Interlux product. These means it will go on thicker and that is good from a labour point of view. Other than that I think these products are very similar. I used both when redoing the bottom of the boat 8 yrs ago and no complaints.
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:57   #6
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I have used the Pettit barrier coat for my keel in 2004 and liked how easy it is to work with.

I did our complete hull with Interlux 2000 in 2016 and with 5 coats on our 64’ hull it was a lot of work because of the tropical climate accelerating cure time and also the requirement to put the first coat of anti fouling on with the finger print test. I did the mixing, timing induction period etc. While 2 others rolled it on, each a separate coat.

But it works very well. I believe the mica particles actually work making it a better barrier, making more than up for the lower solids count compared with other epoxy barrier coats.

I know that West System resin, hardener plus their barrier coat additive is much more work but also believe it may be better.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:07   #7

Real epoxy resin.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:17   #8

Boat: Beneteau 423

I used the Pettit products for my iron keel but other than the initial rust-lock coating, the rest of the products are the same for barrier coat. I found the working times to be good and the results are holding up but it is still early. I like staying within a product line for chemical consistency and support. The Pettit folks were very responsive.

One caution of West Systems is that their chemistry results in an amine blush that has to be washed off if it is allowed to cure completely before moving to the next layer. Pettit does not, however it does have an induction time of 15 minutes required after mixing to allow the chemistry to do its thing. I really liked that the Pettit Protect has a working time of 60 days between Pettit Protect coats.

Harry
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:47   #9

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

I used Interlux Interprotect 22 years ago, following the manufacturer's instruction. Used over West Epoxy materials for fairing and first coat. The bond is still good, and on a recent survey, the surveyor was impressed with the film thickness and longevity.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:58   #10
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

I did my hulls with 3 coats of epoxy and west barrier coat additive (aluminum powder). The trick is, after you roll it on, go back and slick it off with pieces of the yellow west system brand foam rollers. (you cut them up into pieces and make little handles). The process is somewhat tedious but works. Then of course you need to do each subsequent coat while the last coat is still soft. You will still need to lightly sand the final coat before applying an epoxy primer to hot coat the antifouling paint over. With the Interlux 2000, no sanding is required but is more expensive (depending on the epoxy that you buy) and they recommend five coats.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 08:11   #11

my sailboat was already nano coated with a protection when I bought it. So far I am also very satisfied because it keeps dirt, chemicals and oil from penetrating.
RouvenSailer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, references