Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2010, 17:02   #1

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
Preemptive Replacement Strategy

If you had a 30 year old boat used entirely in fresh water on stands with the mast down... What do you do to it?

Expand on my list of stuff you might do to your boat while in this situation, you're on the hard and the mast and rigging are easily accessible.

-Bottom paint
-New Running rigging, it is old.
-Replace the light bulb on the mast while I can reach it, don't know when the last time this was done.

What else? Replace any standing rigging? I've always been the type to replace stuff before it breaks, it is a habit that has kept me out of trouble so far.
Fiveslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 17:13   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Same as you would with any old boat. Check the hull, deck, bulkheads, chainplates for water incursion from rain leaking, for delamination, for rot. 30 year old standing rigging, and any stainless fittings with it, are due for replacement. Masthead fittings, sheeves, bearings, all need inspection. Everything needs to be surveyed, unless you know the boat was put away new and has been on the hard for the last 30 years.

If the engine wasn't pickled, the rings may be frozen in the cylinders. If the cooling passages weren't blown dry, there may be freeze plugs blown out. Exhaust not plugged? There may be bug nests in it. Everything still needs to be checked, and the odds are the fuel tank/system need to be cleaned out as well, if that wasn't prepared for storage.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 17:25   #3
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Include engine rubber, filters, check shaft play(cutlass bearing) shaft log and packing, seacock lube, rudder bearings and packing do a complete mast checkup checking sheeves fittings wiring and inspection and don't forget to put your lucky coin under the mast base before you step it.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 21:45   #4

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
Might want to change coax cable for VHF radio, that would be
RG-8X...and consider changing anchor light to LED...
Fiveslide...is it correct that the boat is 30 years old and is currently on the hard and has not been laid up for years and years.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 02:49   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
VHF, Nav. lights, Barrier coats...

I'd pay real attention to those things that cannot be done once the boats in the water.
1) Second the good VHF installation.
2) Second the LEDs. Depending of the size of the boat there may be LED steaming and anchor lights that are CG approved. If there is a combination light at the top of the mast now is the time to convert.
3) If the boat is really dry now would be a good time to do a barrier coat, especially if you're planning time in salt water.
4) Windex?
5) Depth sounder?
6) Keel bolts?
7) Rudder need rebuilding?

You don't say how big the boat is, how long it has been sitting, what it's general condition is and what your plans are.

If the boat is small and you're not planning on going far in mostly sheltered conditions I wouldn't spend a lot of money on the engine. Tow insurance might be cheaper!
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 05:26   #6

Boat: Irwin 40
I would recommend you hire a surveyor or other professional to go over your boat and give you a realistic list of what needs to be done. you can prioritize this list and hit the most important things first. A professional may also find things you never thought about looking at. Having a good plan in had will let you get things done more efficiently and save you money in the long run. just replacing something because you think it might need it is a waste of time and money. Do it right Get some advice from someone who knows boats. A surveyor might give you a better price if you explain you do not need a full legal report but just a punch list. I normally will do this type of thing for 1/2 the cost of a full legal report.

Good Luck
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2010, 05:33   #7

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
The boat is 25 feet. It has a 2 stroke outboard. It has been laid up for about a year. It is in excellent condition, it really has been well maintained. It's one of those boats that you can tell got used, not neglected for years and years like some I looked at. that is until the previous owner transported it to it's current location and never put it back in the water.

Plans for the boat are to put it in a slip on the Potomac and leave it there. I will want to make it out on the Chesapeake with it but not much further than that. It is a starter boat, I'm not crossing oceans with it.
Fiveslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:01   #8

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps
I'd pay real attention to those things that cannot be done once the boats in the water.
1) Second the good VHF installation.
2) Second the LEDs. Depending of the size of the boat there may be LED steaming and anchor lights that are CG approved. If there is a combination light at the top of the mast now is the time to convert.
3) If the boat is really dry now would be a good time to do a barrier coat, especially if you're planning time in salt water.
4) Windex?
5) Depth sounder?
6) Keel bolts?
7) Rudder need rebuilding?

after completing check of above items...
1)splash boat
2)go sailing
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote