Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2021, 21:04   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Pre Made Panels That Can Stand Up to Engines Pushing Them?

Something like this product?
https://www.lbifiberglass.com/product/gpo1/
Orion Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 01:32   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtrio View Post
... Starboard manufacturing folks were adamant that starboard is not suitable for structural applications, such as transoms...
Indeed.
According to King Plastic:
ďThe King StarBoardģ Family of Marine Grade Polymers are strong, but they are not a structural material. When using these products, they must be supported by a load bearing framework ...Ē
https://www.kingplastic.com/support-techniques/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:19   #18

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Ah, damn. Itís not easy to get those sheets right now and theyíre like $500 a piece for the amount needed to create each motor mount.

Back to the drawing board.
Old 07-12-2021, 05:38   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I don’t know. That’s why am asking the question. I don’t know any of these premade composite panels. I made my boat from scratch. I have never used Coosa board or starboard. I know nothing about them.

Anyone care to say if the starboard will work?

I was originally thinking aluminum plate, but, I didn’t want to have to deal with all of the cosmetic issues that come along with that.
Is it easier to design a new system or to change your attitude about cosmetic issues?

As I get older, and older, and older, I find I have much more tolerance for “cosmetic issues.” Both the boats and mine.

What I don’t want to give up on is a low maintenance solution. My time is my most valuable thing.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 05:47   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Is it easier to design a new system or to change your attitude about cosmetic issues?

As I get older, and older, and older, I find I have much more tolerance for ďcosmetic issues.Ē Both the boats and mine.

What I donít want to give up on is a low maintenance solution. My time is my most valuable thing.
I think you are missing something in my posts. I am replacing these because they write it out. Not because they are the wrong color or texture. They fell apart.

So now I am also trying to do like you are saying and get something that works forever.

The aluminum sheet is also $1000. For 3/8 aluminum. So, I think it might be back to just building these out of composite. Because these are ridiculous prices.

My main concern building these out of composite is the tendency they will have to peel apart a cored laminate. So, I think I will make them in two parts. One part the flat panel that slides in the track, the second part the actual piece that the motor clamps onto. And I will through bolt them together. How does that sound?
Old 07-12-2021, 06:46   #21

Starting from scratch. These are the current slides.

Any Ideas on how to do these in the following way:

*no wood
*rubber bushings/mat to stop awful vibration noise
*Delrin/HDPE or similar at points of contact with the aluminum tracks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	049AF99F-7C47-4AE4-8231-DBDE125A10E6.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	446.5 KB
ID:	249460   Click image for larger version

Name:	94F6C7E8-C371-4D8E-B2F5-FAEAEBD59612.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	452.9 KB
ID:	249461  

Old 07-12-2021, 06:48   #22

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

For the rubber and delrin idea, I'd likely plan to use a somewhat soft rubber sandwiched by the delrin. Make it fit so that it's compressed slightly in the tracks, as that should keep there from being any play that would cause rattling.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 06:54   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
For the rubber and delrin idea, I'd likely plan to use a somewhat soft rubber sandwiched by the delrin. Make it fit so that it's compressed slightly in the tracks, as that should keep there from being any play that would cause rattling.
I was thinking the same. Like a rubber mat material under the strips of Delrin.

The rest however... is getting tricky.

My through bolting self made composite idea really wasn’t a good one because there is very little space behind the slide. I had thought there was a little more clearance.

The tricky part in any material is joining it together to withstand the weight of the outboard, plus it’s full propulsion force.

These wooden ones withstood the forces but succumbed to rain.
Old 07-12-2021, 06:59   #24

What about making something with delrin rollers on the sides to fit into the track instead of sliders? That might let you change where the bolts, etc. have to go enough to make it fit.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:10   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
What about making something with delrin rollers on the sides to fit into the track instead of sliders? That might let you change where the bolts, etc. have to go enough to make it fit.
Maybe! I had been relying on the sides of the large sliding piece of wood for lateral stability. Would rollers be able to support that pressure?
Old 07-12-2021, 07:12   #26

Quote:
Maybe! I had been relying on the sides of the large sliding piece of wood for lateral stability. Would rollers be able to support that pressure?

Think about the forces on an anchor roller. I see no reason a roller setup couldn't be built strong enough.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:14   #27

Exploring the idea of 1/2” aluminum plate a second, would I use aluminum L angle and through bolts to attach the rest of it to the big sliding plate?

L- angle won’t be 1/2”, so is that going to be a weak spot?

It’s tricky stuff.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:53   #28

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
A couple layers of 3/4" Starboard bolted together work? 1/2" aluminum in the center? total 2". Would slide with no additions. It's tough as heck.

There is no way that Iíd rely on starboard, no matter how thick to support a 30hp outboard.

1. Itís slippery as hell, even tightly bolted to it the outboard will have a tendency to wander.

2. Starboard being an unsupported plastic tends to ďcreepĒ it undergoes plastic deformation that means it will change shape as pressure is applied to it. Not quickly, but still happens.

3. The manufacturer states itís not a structural member.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:22   #29

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Well now that we see what you're doing...

Don't over think it.

Half inch aluminum is your best bet, all bolted together with ss bolts.

Use inch and a half (or whatever your inner slide channel dimension is) black UHMW blocks for the 'bearings', routed or tablesawn out to fit the half inch plate, secured to the plate with countersunk ss bolts.

Use 3 or 4 inch channel for the standoff, again bolted to half inch plate to mount the motor on.

If you're worried about stiffness, bolt a piece of 1/4 X 2 X 2 angle across the bottom of the plate, or cut a piece of the UHMW bar to mount vertically in the center of the 'slider' plate to take the thrust (providing the hull is strong enough there; an aluminum angle mounted inside should provide plenty of stiffness if not...)

https://www.amazon.com/Black-UHMW-Po.../dp/B084H1JK7T
https://www.onlinemetals.com/en/buy/...dard/pid/14600

1/2 al plate 272.00

3/8 al plate (almost certainly sufficient) 227.00

https://www.midweststeelsupply.com/s...1aluminumplate

If you look around you'll probably be able to find the plastic and aluminum cheaper locally.

Black in the sketch is UHMW bar, grey is aluminum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brkt.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	249463  
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:01   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
I think you are missing something in my posts. I am replacing these because they write it out. Not because they are the wrong color or texture. They fell apart.

So now I am also trying to do like you are saying and get something that works forever.

The aluminum sheet is also $1000. For 3/8 aluminum. So, I think it might be back to just building these out of composite. Because these are ridiculous prices.

My main concern building these out of composite is the tendency they will have to peel apart a cored laminate. So, I think I will make them in two parts. One part the flat panel that slides in the track, the second part the actual piece that the motor clamps onto. And I will through bolt them together. How does that sound?
In that case aluminum is the best bet.

Try this place for aluminum, they will ship.

I just bought 10’ of 1-1/2” by 1/4” angle for under $30.

They will custom cut. Just buy what you need.

https://metals.shopjfi.com/?l=1
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, panels