Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2021, 16:15   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
PPG & Sherwin Williams Botton Paint

Lke many I found my last application of “name brand” bottom paint to be poorly spent money. So i would like OWNER feedback on less expensive paints like PPG ABC3 and Sherwin Willians Copper 45 paints.
Old 23-04-2021, 16:31   #2
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: PPG & Sherwin Williams Botton Paint

We’ve used ABC3 quite a few times and found it to be as good or better than the more expensive name brands.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 17:34   #3
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

I put ABC3 on last October and have not dived to clean the hull since - I have just hauled again as some %$#&%$ hit me in the marina. No Barnacles or soft growth, just slime. Whereas my experiment with Zinc Spray and Sex Wax on the sail Drives/props was not so successful - I did have to dive to clear the mountains of soft/hard growth off these. Needless to say I have gone back to anti-foul on the drive (not ABC3) and Prop-speed.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 17:43   #4

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I put ABC3 on last October and have not dived to clean the hull since - I have just hauled again as some %$#&%$ hit me in the marina. No Barnacles or soft growth, just slime. Whereas my experiment with Zinc Spray and Sex Wax on the sail Drives/props was not so successful - I did have to dive to clear the mountains of soft/hard growth off these. Needless to say I have gone back to anti-foul on the drive (not ABC3) and Prop-speed.
Hi, thanks for the heads up regarding the zinc spray and wax, I have to do the antifoul on my boat and was considering the zinc spray for the prop, not anymore. I have tried the wax solution, or should I say non-solution previously so not going there again.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 03:20   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

So the owner reviews for both the SW 45 and ABC3 seem pretty position. Wonder why we don't heard more about? Maybe itis because to them it is such a small market they dont play attention or marketing to it.
Old 24-04-2021, 03:29   #6
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
So the owner reviews for both the SW 45 and ABC3 seem pretty position. Wonder why we don't heard more about? Maybe itis because to them it is such a small market they dont play attention or marketing to it.

ABC3 was recommended by my local yacht shop, they told me that it was used more by commercial boats than recreational but they highly recommended it. Maybe that is their target market, hence you not seeing marketing for it in the world you move in?
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 04:27   #7
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
ABC3 was recommended by my local yacht shop, they told me that it was used more by commercial boats than recreational but they highly recommended it. Maybe that is their target market, hence you not seeing marketing for it in the world you move in?

I used to buy the ABC3 from Sabine Shipyard and no doubt it was a commercially used paint used in the oil field.. If I could use ablative paint on our present boat there’s no doubt I would use ABC3.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 05:27   #8

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I called our local SW. The kid who answered had never heard of bottom paint. The manager had, but didn't know what the % of copper was, and said it wasn't available anyway. Others at my marina have used and swear by it, but they have commercial accounts and have to either special-order it, or fly it in (nice knowing a few pilots) from someplace where the local SW keeps it in stock. Haven't been at the right place at the right time to piggy-back on their orders yet. One of these days...
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 08:12   #9
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
ABC3 is definitely more heavily marketed to the commercial shipping industry than to recreational boaters.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 08:14   #10
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I called our local SW. The kid who answered had never heard of bottom paint. The manager had, but didn't know what the % of copper was, and said it wasn't available anyway. Others at my marina have used and swear by it, but they have commercial accounts and have to either special-order it, or fly it in (nice knowing a few pilots) from someplace where the local SW keeps it in stock. Haven't been at the right place at the right time to piggy-back on their orders yet. One of these days...
I have never come across a Sherwin Williams anti fouling paint that I would recommend to a customer. The competition is too stiff IMHO and I'm not sure that going to great lengths to find a Sherwin Williams product would pay any great benefits.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 09:15   #11

Boat: Beneteau 461 46 feet

I used SW ablative bottom paint for 6 years in New England and the VIs. It was great and cost half of the price of rec bottom paint. I got it from my local SW store. I can't remember what the code was but it was for speeds above 10 kts. Since I had a sailboat, I had to readjust my speedo to always read 10 kts, just kidding. I once put it on in St Thomas and hauled the boat a year and a half later in CT with no barnacles or slime except the bottom of the keel wich had no paint and loads of barnacles and slime. Great product.
Glen Ballou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 10:17   #12

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

The ABC bottom paints are no longer available to recreational boaters in Canada. I've been using it for years and have been EXTREMELY happy with it - but now I have to find an alternative. It is still available for commercial use.

Does anyone know a good bottom paint that will work well over ABC3? Having a steel boat means sand blasting down to bare steel were I to start all over again with another system - and sandblasting is almost impossible to do around here too - especially with the rig still up so she can't go indoors.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 10:48   #13

Boat: 46 ft cutter

Comex in Mexico sells its own branded ablative bottom paint with copper content similar to fine yacht splendiforous bottom paints.
So far, 6 months after being splashed, the Comex bottom paint compares very well IMO with the International bottom paint I had put on last time.
Plenty of peso savings using the Comex paint to be skillfully invested into tacos and cerveza instead of crafty marketeers of marine products.
PirateGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 10:55   #14

Boat: Vancouver 27

https://www.graco.com/us/en/contract...g-coating.html
Steel boat that exceed 10 kts
Tibsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2021, 11:57   #15
Marine Service Provider

Carrying HAZMET in your flight bag? Shame, Shame.

I once put a hind-quarter of prime beef, dry ice and all, in my cockpit carryon when returning home from a trip. Of course the dry ice gave off CO2. The flight attendants though my bag was on fire. This was well before HAZMAT became and issue and there was no TSA. It tasted wonderful.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint