Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2018, 08:19   #31

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: postponing antifouling paint job. OK or not OK?

It depends on your area. You may end up with the bottom heavily fouled and your future bottom paint job an absolute nightmare.

The idea overall is to paint before launch, not 14 months down the road.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:49   #32

Boat: Outremer 50S

I'm having a hard time understanding the folks who believe you can't sail a boat without regular antifouling. Bottom paint is poison. It's poison when you put it on, it's poison when you take it off, and it's poison in the water. It is a convenience for the boat owner.

There's nothing magic about antifouling, it just means you don't have to clean your bottom that often. If you're willing to jump in (or hire someone for the task) once a month or so and give the bottom a thorough in-the-water cleaning there's no reason you can't sail a clean bottom for years (decades) without any antifouling. It's a convenience that most boat owners aren't willing to go without, but if you're willing to make the commitment then there's no reason you can't wet sail a boat without antifouling. Of course, if you fail in your commitment and one month without cleaning grows to two, or to three then you'll really regret your decision not to have the passive poison doing its job.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:16   #33
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
My 20-30 year old electronics to include Depth, GPS, VHF are working fine. I did lose one GPS though that failed. I bought 2 handheld Sunnto Compasses for backup and taking bearings on ships etc to determine how fast they are going as compared to me prior to a cross

My boat is 44 years old and was painted prior to me owning it so I had to sand it down to gelcoat totally on the topside hull and repaint

Haul out was $200-$300 in 2014/2015

Equipment to paint were a few brushes, rollers, pan, and mask. I included the price of the paint in my list in the post above. The Topside paint though was $88.00/gallon. Another test to see how well it will hold up

The point is for a boat like mine that I'm using to see how seriously I'm going to get into cruising it simply doesn't take that much to maintain. So maybe I spent $8,000 or so to own a boat for 10 years. I think that's a pretty good deal

As far as my sail strap jury rig, that's an ongoing test. I have a 90% storm jib in like new condition if needed. It has a grommet the strap attaches to whereas my jib just had the strap straight connect to the shackle.
Compass bearing to another object will not tell you speed or direction. It will only tell you if you will cross ahead, astern,’or collide (everything remaining constant).

20-30 year old electronics are well beyond their service life expectancy, likely to require constant recalibration (due to flaky caps and pots) and likely to fail any moment. Keeping unreliable, outdated electronics is not proper maintenance. Any VHF over 10 years old doesn’t have DSC and should be replaced, even if it
“works fine”. When I evaluate boats, 10 year old electronics is average, newer commands premium, older commands discount (because they are due for replacement on a proper maintenance program).

Any seawater pump impeller over 4 years old should be replaced. Any bedding compound over10 years old, should be replaced, any freshwater or bilge pump over 5-10 years old (depending on initial quality) should be replaced.

Fixing old stuff only when it breaks, is not maintaining. It is constantly repairing stuff that should have been replaced long ago under any kind of reasonable maintenance program. The boat is dropping in value. It is not being
maintained properly, it is being held together on a wing and a prayer, for the sake of cheap.

This is the prime reason why there are so many derelict scrap yard ready boats in North America today. In the last 50 years, society has learned to avoid maintenance in favour of disposing in landfill.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 13:04   #34

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Compass bearing to another object will not tell you speed or direction. It will only tell you if you will cross ahead, astern,’or collide (everything remaining constant).
Actually it will.

I use my handheld Sunnto Compass to take bearings on ships to check their speed (as compared to mine) so I know if I can cross ahead or not.

You must not sail very much
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 13:12   #35

Quote:

20-30 year old electronics are well beyond their service life expectancy, likely to require constant recalibration (due to flaky caps and pots) and likely to fail any moment. Keeping unreliable, outdated electronics is not proper maintenance. Any VHF over 10 years old doesn’t have DSC and should be replaced, even if it
“works fine”. When I evaluate boats, 10 year old electronics is average, newer commands premium, older commands discount (because they are due for replacement on a proper maintenance program).

Any seawater pump impeller over 4 years old should be replaced. Any bedding compound over10 years old, should be replaced, any freshwater or bilge pump over 5-10 years old (depending on initial quality) should be replaced.

Fixing old stuff only when it breaks, is not maintaining. It is constantly repairing stuff that should have been replaced long ago under any kind of reasonable maintenance program. The boat is dropping in value. It is not being
maintained properly, it is being held together on a wing and a prayer, for the sake of cheap.

This is the prime reason why there are so many derelict scrap yard ready boats in North America today. In the last 50 years, society has learned to avoid maintenance in favour of disposing in landfill.
All this from a guy that wants to maintain boats for cash which is great, but I don't use you guys.

We have mainframe computers at work from the 90's on one of our systems. I'm actually right now looking to buy a StakPAC Vicor 5 volt 240 amp power supply for one of them. It hasn't been made since 2002. I haven't found one yet, but the point is the computers are working fine. We have four of them on that simulator which is maybe 400 yards from saltwater

I was complaining my window switches and door lock switches didn't work nor did the signal lights on my old 2002 Jeep, and some guy said I should buy a newer model. So I fixed them all during my lunch break

My boat is fine and so are it's systems although I did recently waste about $100 or so for an MPPT controller for my solar. It's a Victron 75/15 which I didn't need as my PWM for $18.00 was fine but I wanted to see how well they worked
Old 03-08-2018, 13:35   #36

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Once electronic get past a burn in period they are likely to last forever. If you want the current bells a whistles have at it. I would at least keep the old stuff as backup, for when the new stuff doesn't make it that far.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 13:43   #37

My DVD player also has a VHS Tape Player!

https://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-DVW-710.../dp/B000REWYNK
Old 03-08-2018, 13:43   #38

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Unsubscribed.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 13:49   #39

Quote:

Yeah, there are a few boats about ready to sink in several marinas near me.

It's a shame folks allow this to happen which is one of the reasons I'm looking at this Pearson 10M with it's Atomic 4 Engine

And btw, it just had a bottom job ……..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pearson 10M.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	174845  
Old 03-08-2018, 15:07   #40

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27

Quote:
This.

The real question is, why don’t you want to paint the bottom now, so the boat will sail well and won’t hamper your learning to make her go. If you can’t afford to paint the bottom (and perform other regular maintenance when she’s needs it), then you can’t afford to be a boater. Sell it before you wreck it.

Neglecting the bottom won’t really wreck the boat, but it is a part of boating you should be prepared to do when needed. Just like changing oil, filters, impellers, zincs, repairing and replacing sails, compound polish and wax, varnish and oil, replacing stuff as it breaks, wears out or becomes outdated.

Your 27 ft boat, in pristine condition will cost about $2K per year to keep it that way. If it is less than pristine, it will cost more to make it so, so that it only costs $2000 a year to maintain it.
It's not a question of money but of timing.... the sailing season is coming to an end and I will close on the Cat 27 at the end of August. The survey was done July 20 (haul out and barnacle scraping and pressure washing). I'd like to keep her in the water in my new marina so I can work on the motor, change hoses, rewire here and there, repair this and that, polish and rebed some deck hardware. All this is easier done in the water as you can run the engine and plug the AC. PLUS, I'D LIKE TO TAKE HER OUT to practice my solo dock backing.
I intend to keep her in pristine condition.....
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 15:13   #41

Quote:
Yeah, there are a few boats about ready to sink in several marinas near me.

It's a shame folks allow this to happen which is one of the reasons I'm looking at this Pearson 10M with it's Atomic 4 Engine

And btw, it just had a bottom job ……..
It breaks my heart to see so many great boats abandoned on the hard in the back of so many marinas I visited.
Old 03-08-2018, 15:16   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrailleur View Post
It breaks my heart to see so many great boats abandoned on the hard in the back of so many marinas I visited.
Yes, but it's better that they are on the hard than slowly sinking in a slip
Old 03-08-2018, 15:17   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
It depends on your area. You may end up with the bottom heavily fouled and your future bottom paint job an absolute nightmare.

The idea overall is to paint before launch, not 14 months down the road.

b.
Thanks Barnakiel

It's not a question of money but of timing.... the sailing season is coming to an end and I will close on the Cat 27 at the end of August. The survey was done July 20 (haul out and barnacle scraping and pressure washing). I'd like to keep her in the water in my new marina so I can work on the motor, change hoses, rewire here and there, repair this and that, polish and rebed some deck hardware. All this is easier done in the water as you can run the engine and plug the AC. PLUS, I'D LIKE TO TAKE HER OUT to practice my solo dock backing.
I intend to keep her in pristine condition.....
Old 03-08-2018, 15:22   #44

Quote:
I really, really disagree with this.

No way will it cost $2,000 to maintain.

I paid $2,000 for my boat and it's also 27' long.

I've had it for 7 years and besides replacing the mainsail, the diesel, etc it pretty much only costs the slip fee.

I may pull it this year for a bottom job since the last one I did was the Winter of 2014/15. The paint went on in 2015

I also painted the topside hull that year. The topside hull paint was $88.00
great pictures thank you.
I believe also that you can save a lot of money if you are prepared and able to do most of the work yourself. It's obviously your case and mine. Thanks again
Old 03-08-2018, 15:24   #45

Boat: Pelin Sterling 26

Slap a coat of antifoul on and be prepared to take everything off in 14 months and replace with a completely new system.
sand6000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint