Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2018, 10:25   #91

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: postponing antifouling paint job. OK or not OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
This is total BS. A small emergency savings fund is not going to protect the people around you endangered by your deficient electrical wiring and fuel systems, nor the environmental clean up when your 40+ year old thruhull hose rots through and sinks the boat. This is just shirking responsibility. Not seamanlike.

Prove me wrong.
Are you sure you know anything about boats at all?

My wiring is fine and fuse protected at the switch panels and the battery.

The fuel system was new in 2011. (Outboard)

All my thruhulls are closed.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 10:26   #92

Boat: Valiant 40

Sheesh guys get a room.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:41   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post

To claim one hasn't performed some repairs and improvements over 7 years, because they are not sure if they like the boat or will keep it, is ludicrous. All boats fall in this category. Nobody knows what the future holds for them.

It is all too easy for the prospective buyer or owner to choose, purposefully, or even subconsciously, to ignore vessels flaws.

If you believe your vessel inspection skillset is anywhere near close to an experienced, accredited surveyor, you are sorely mistaken.

Post the results.

Prove me wrong.
I've made quite a few repairs over 7 years. I removed a broken stanchion base and filled in the holes with epoxy. I bought a new base but have yet to install. Maybe this Winter if i pull the boat.

I sawed off the roller on the bow platform and installed a galvanized bolt in it's place. The platform was cracked in the far front and the SS Roller Bolt was bent.

Removed all defective hoses and the hand pump from the Thetford Head due to the smell. I capped off the remaining good hoses and now no more smell.

I replaced the diesel at a fix dock alone. The diesel was 352 lb 10 HP Bukh.

Replaced the mainsail

Replaced the lifelines with polyester Dyneema that I tied on.

Fixed a leak in the Forward Hatch.

Fixed the Aft Lazarette Hinges

Replaced the batteries

Good rid of some bad wiring

Epoxy/fiberglassed the old prop shaft. Capped off exhaust port in stern

Replaced the mainsheet and topping lift (but reused the halyards even though they sat on the boat on the hard for 5 years)

Replaced fire extinguishers and flares

Completed two bottom paint jobs.

Completed one topside paint job

My outboard is on a bracket only because I didn't want to cut a hole in the boat. An outboard in the Aft Lazarette locker would be nice though and is a very good idea because it gets the motor away from the stern of the boat to a place where it most likely will never come out of the water or very rarely

I have completed the survey you requested and the ship is ready to sail!

Totally worth the $2,000 purchase price.

Looks like you were wrong.........again
Old 09-08-2018, 10:46   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Sheesh guys get a room.
It's the constant accusations I feel I must defend, and as you know, I don't mind talking about My Good Old Full Keel Boat or my Beach Cats

Old 09-08-2018, 10:59   #95

Boat: Valiant 40

Rod has his opinion and you have yours. Enough is enough.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:26   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Rod has his opinion and you have yours. Enough is enough.
Sounds good to me.

He also doesn't know my background and that half my High School Classmates were Watermen. We get so we know these waters pretty well.

When I start venturing further away, maybe I'll make more changes to my Good Old Boat but she's in very good shape for the type sailing I'm doing at the moment

I once saw a 20' plus bay boat with an upright Briggs and Stratton Garden Tiller Engine mounted in the center and the shaft fed out astern thru the hull. This down at a Crab House in Deep Creek where we were buying peeler crab for bait

I think it had a minibike clutch

We did use some rough old boats in the bay back in the day. This in the part of the bay that's 30 miles wide.

We fished the Tangier Wreck quite often and all the known Holes including Hacks Rock, Crammy Hack, the Mud Hole, and Stone Rock. That on Bayside.

On Seaside, it was mainly Metompkin and Wachapregue Inlets for Flounder in the Spring and Trout in the Fall.

You had to basically put your boat on the back of a wave and ride it thru to get back in Metompkin Inlet should you venture into the ocean
Old 10-08-2018, 06:25   #97

Boat: a sailing boat

A small, heavily fouled craft is NOT seaworthy.

You have clearly never rower a heavily fouled dinghy.

It is probably OK to leave a boat as is for long periods. Not so, if you plan to do some sailing.

Unless you are a very keen diver and your sea is warm and clean, you want to apply AF paint, and plenty of it, BEFORE LAUNCHING the boat.

Our boat is only 26' by 9'. It takes two full sessions to clean her when we do grow some beard. This means about 2 hours under water (apnea), maybe one hour, if you have a tank.

How many people want / can do that?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:03   #98

That depends entirely on how much cruising you expect to do. If minimal, then fine. Fouling only effects drag/speed/fuel efficiency. As someone said earlier, if you keep the boat in fresh(ish) water, you won't get barnacles, just weed. If you then go to sea, the salt water will kill the freshwater weed. Paint exhausted means the antifouling becoming ineffective. It doesn't mean that the boat itself is at risk.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:18   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Are you sure you know anything about boats at all?

My wiring is fine and fuse protected at the switch panels and the battery.

The fuel system was new in 2011. (Outboard)

All my thruhulls are closed.

Closed thruhulls isn't going to save you it the fitting comes away from the hull. "Marine" grade only needs to last 10 years to wear that badge ! Brass and Manganese-Bronze degrades if you don't wear good anodes AND you have everything Earth-bonded. Silicon or Aluminium Bronze is better/best. Stainless corrodes, albeit slowly, if permanently immersed.
Wiring fine ? Are all the connections sprayed with wax or grease ? I have discarded wires that had corroded 6ft up inside the insulation. If you can get it, tin-plated conductors last almost indefinitely. I am in the process of pulling out 100s of yards of the stuff from a 50's (small) warship.
Old 10-08-2018, 07:29   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by skenn_ie View Post
Closed thruhulls isn't going to save you it the fitting comes away from the hull. "Marine" grade only needs to last 10 years to wear that badge ! Brass and Manganese-Bronze degrades if you don't wear good anodes AND you have everything Earth-bonded. Silicon or Aluminium Bronze is better/best. Stainless corrodes, albeit slowly, if permanently immersed.
Wiring fine ? Are all the connections sprayed with wax or grease ? I have discarded wires that had corroded 6ft up inside the insulation. If you can get it, tin-plated conductors last almost indefinitely. I am in the process of pulling out 100s of yards of the stuff from a 50's (small) warship.
So how on earth are all these neglected boats still afloat?

There are seven marinas on my creek and I walk them regularly. More than half the boats never move.

I'm at my boat twice a day usually. The thruhulls get inspected regularly. I also know the depth of the water in the bilge which is usually much lower than the float switch or dry

I sail my boat across the bay several times a month. The wiring is old but fused properly and everything electrical works
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Forward Port Seacock.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	366.0 KB
ID:	175176  
Old 10-08-2018, 07:44   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrailleur View Post
I'm ready to close on buying my first keelboat (Catalina 27). I had her hauled out for a survey out of the water. We scraped out a lot of barnacles and pressure washed the hull. The surveyor said that the paint was exhausted.
My question: since we did a quick cleaning before launching her again could the antifouling paint job be postponed for some 14 more months. I intend to leave her on my slip this winter and hauled her before the winter of 2019.
Any problem delaying the needed antifouling paint job?
Thanks

In your area you have to be aware of polyestermites. They can bore right into a fiberglass hull without bottom paint. They're not as much of a problem in fresh water, though, so maybe going up a river would be a good idea.
Jamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:53   #102

Boat: Dugouy 43 Trawler

If you can't afford to bottom paint you can't afford the boat.
Most antifouling paints are good for a year. It is a false economy not to antifoul and change zincs.
alanrosens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:10   #103
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanrosens View Post
Most antifouling paints are good for a year.
No, most anti fouling paints are good for 2-3 years. You must be doing something wrong.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:14   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
So how on earth are all these neglected boats still afloat?

There are seven marinas on my creek and I walk them regularly. More than half the boats never move.

I'm at my boat twice a day usually. The thruhulls get inspected regularly. I also know the depth of the water in the bilge which is usually much lower than the float switch or dry

I sail my boat across the bay several times a month. The wiring is old but fused properly and everything electrical works

If you have weak skin fittings and you get hit the wrong way by a wave, or even something knocks against them they can break catastrophically. A few years ago, during a yacht race, someone called the lifeboat as one of their skin fittings had broken, on en 8yy/o boat. Similarly, electrics can work one minute, and not the next. Old boats (maybe pre-1980), generally, had better quality materials than now ! I have taken out a lot (500?) of brass screws in the last few months, some seem perfect, while it's neighbour just crumbles. Fasteners are brass (often crumbly) Copper nails/rivets in hard due to age (1200 removed) and Bronze (200 removed, all solid). Copper pipe as attached to thru-hull,has been very weak, while the Ally bronze fittings are still strong. IMO, to properly check something that critical, is to take it off, dismantle it, and if there is any sign of reddening (de-zincing) of the metal, trash it. If not, replace the bolts with new ones. I have 27 thru-hulls, most, thankfully, are above the w/l. One of my propellers (Ally-Bronze) is solid, the other, Manganese, is 2/3 porous, brittle copper, the centre 1/3 is still bronze. I know because I cut 5" off each blade. My rudders are Ally-Bronze too. Tap them with a hammer and they ring. Tap the duff prop, and it is "thunk".
I won't have ANY electric or electronic primary controls, especially engine controls/fuel injection. I have opened many electronics boxes to find corrosion inside, even ones that were fitted inside the cabin/wheelhouse. Like when driving motorbikes, it is not a matter of keeping moisture out, it is a matter of delaying it's ingress, and with modern, fine-pitch electronic circuits, it takes very little moisture, especially salty moisture, to kill a unit.
I have been on and around boats for as long as I can remember, and I am 59. My first recollection of sailing single handed was when I was 4. My childhood playground was my parents boatyard, both my parents were keen sailers, my dad, a Shipwright, Naval Architect and Marine Surveyor, I own and live on an 65y/o minesweeper.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:46   #105

Consider Coppercoat or equivalent. Multi year antifouling. More expensive to start, but you then only need to haul the boat to change anodes and give her a quick spray to clean the hull a little. It has changed our life. Apply properly in the right conditions, both temperature and rain. You need three days rain free. You need to put on six coats in a single day. But the boat you are talking about is small and easy to paint. I wouldn't neglect antifouling, especially if I was planning to sail her.
petermjdavies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint