Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2018, 15:29   #46

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27
Re: postponing antifouling paint job. OK or not OK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Looks like the OP isn't going on any long cruises soon, so he should be fine waiting another year.

So far, I repaint my bottom every 3 years. It's due this year but I may go one more not sure yet

The OP is just up the bay a 100 miles or so from me and if anything it's a bit colder up there and the water a bit less salty
Thanks thomm225
I like your comment. Like I replied earlier:
It's not a question of money but of timing.... the sailing season is coming to an end and I will close on the Cat 27 at the end of August. The survey was done July 20 (haul out and barnacle scraping and pressure washing). I'd like to keep her in the water in my new marina so I can work on the motor, change hoses, rewire here and there, repair this and that, polish and rebed some deck hardware. All this is easier done in the water as you can run the engine and plug the AC. PLUS, I'D LIKE TO TAKE HER OUT to practice my solo dock backing.
I intend to keep her in pristine condition.....
Our waters are filthy now up north Patapsco river/Baltimore.
Thanks
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 15:34   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Antifouling doesn't do much to protect the physical structure of the boat (blisters, etc.) so, to me, no worries there.

Then just a question of how foul a bottom you are willing to accept? Are you allowed to do in the water cleaning at your locale? Are you willing to do it yourself? If you start with a clean bottom after the survey, and clean every 4 to 6 weeks during the summer (the longer you wait the harder it will be) then you can probably have a fine sailing season and wait for the bottom job.
Thanks, I'm not a professional barnacles scrapper but the hull was nasty when we pulled her out with the owner and surveyor present..... we scrapped the hull in less than 20 minutes. How could this process be harder in the fall of 2019?

The reason for postponing is this:

It's not a question of money but of timing.... the sailing season is coming to an end and I will close on the Cat 27 at the end of August. The survey was done July 20 (haul out and barnacle scraping and pressure washing). I'd like to keep her in the water in my new marina so I can work on the motor, change hoses, rewire here and there, repair this and that, polish and rebed some deck hardware. All this is easier done in the water as you can run the engine and plug the AC. PLUS, I'D LIKE TO TAKE HER OUT to practice my solo dock backing.
I intend to keep her in pristine condition.....
Old 03-08-2018, 15:46   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper Cappy View Post
Was there any paint left on the hull or is there bare spots exposing the gelcoat?

If bottom paint on boat but just lost it's antifouling characteristics then you can easily get to 2019. If exposed gelcoat then can still make it to 2019. Either way just make sure hull is cleaned every month in the summer and every other month in the winter. Do not let hard growth get on bottom because diver will have to scrape hull, not desired.

If inboard engine then need to concern yourself with the shaft zinc. That would be true even if you hauled and painted. This is very important!

Enjoy your new to you Catalina 27. Great Boat!!!
Thanks..... the surveyor says: "Gelcoat heavily oxidized, antifouling pain exhausted with barnacles growth.... no indication of voids or delaminations."
Thanks again
Old 04-08-2018, 14:49   #49
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Once electronic get past a burn in period they are likely to last forever. If you want the current bells a whistles have at it. I would at least keep the old stuff as backup, for when the new stuff doesn't make it that far.
Not true.

Electrical and electronics mortality curves look like a bathtub curve, initially very high, and then dropping rapidly leveling out at near zero, in 5 years the sloping increase starts. At the 10 year level, one can expect anywhere from 10 to 25% mortality. Some may work for years and years after, but you are on borrowed time and at a much higher risk of failure with each passing year. This is why electrical and electronic systems that are 10 years old are a nil with respect to average value.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 15:00   #50
cruiser

Quote:
Actually it will.

I use my handheld Sunnto Compass to take bearings on ships to check their speed (as compared to mine) so I know if I can cross ahead or not.

You must not sail very much
No need to become insulting.

Teach me.

The last boat you crossed, what speed in knots was it travelling, based solely on the compass bearing?
Old 04-08-2018, 15:33   #51

Boat: Bristol 27

You're missing the point.

I watch for who is gaining me or the tanker or container ship.

Usually we are approaching at an angle which will end near 90 degrees. I get the ships bearing from a few miles out then decide if I'm gaining or losing to determine if I can cross ahead. I continue to check his bearing until I decide. Sometimes this takes 10-15 minutes or more in the bay. Offshore in the ocean I'd see him earlier and start then

I'm either headed near North or South and the ships West or East.

This crossing the Thimble Shoal Channel or Chesapeake Channel.

Today a Container Ship used the inner shallow channel which was a bit strange. I was a couple miles away though so didn't have to deal with that....and he was moving fast at least 14 knots plus.

I was just day sailing also not crossing the bay

So now I'm using an A-10 or A-30 Suunto Compass but may get another soon

https://www.suunto.com/en-US/Product...uunto-A-10-IN/

https://www.suunto.com/en-US/Product...etric-Compass/

https://www.suunto.com/en-US/Product...irror-Compass/

Chart 12221

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais...ry:36.8/zoom:9
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 15:39   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Not true.

Electrical and electronics mortality curves look like a bathtub curve, initially very high, and then dropping rapidly leveling out at near zero, in 5 years the sloping increase starts. At the 10 year level, one can expect anywhere from 10 to 25% mortality. Some may work for years and years after, but you are on borrowed time and at a much higher risk of failure with each passing year. This is why electrical and electronic systems that are 10 years old are a nil with respect to average value.
As I said before, my electronics on the boat are late 80's, early 90's. Plus we have mainframes at work which are early 90's

We still have the Encores. CPU in link below

http://www.encore-support.com/htmls/rsx.htm

We also have CRT Monitors on a couple simulators that we (us senior citizen techs like myself) still have to troubleshoot to the component level......not send off for a new board, chassis etc because there's no place to send them
Old 04-08-2018, 16:34   #53
cruiser

Quote:
As I said before, my electronics on the boat are late 80's, early 90's. Plus we have mainframes at work which are early 90's

We still have the Encores. CPU in link below

Encore computer RSX CPU

We also have CRT Monitors on a couple simulators that we (us senior citizen techs like myself) still have to troubleshoot to the component level......not send off for a new board, chassis etc because there's no place to send them
I also have a great deal of experience troubleshooting and repairing electrical and electronic systems to the component level, including vacuum tube based devices.

And I know when these systems become unreliable due to age.

The fact that you can troubleshoot and repair a failed system, doesn’t mean you should. Preventative maintenance dictates that you perform actions to avoid failures in advance, such as replacing old electronics before they fail (at the most inoportune time putting vessel and crew in danger) and you must troubleshoot them again , and again, and again.

Repairing delapidated outdated equipment again and again and again is not maintnance; it is neglecting to update when one should.

Everything has its time, and for marine electronics and electrics, it is about 10 years in saltwater. Perhaps 15 or 20 for the electrics in freshwater.

Most manuactures don’t support electronics with replacement parts beyond 10 years, because to be safe, they really should be replaced.
Old 04-08-2018, 16:51   #54

Quote:
The fact that you can troubleshoot and repair a failed system, doesn’t mean you should.
At work we have no choice.

The 1990's equipment must be maintained as well as the 2018 equipment.

We have 2 TB drives and back to 1-2 GB drives and smaller

Mainframe to PC. Raid array to each computer with it's own drive. Flat panel monitors to CRT
Old 05-08-2018, 07:32   #55

Quote:
Repairing delapidated outdated equipment again and again and again is not maintnance; it is neglecting to update when one should.
This is my point.

The old electronics on my boat hasn't failed

Also, unless you are actually cruising long distance as in crossing oceans you can many times make do with a compass if your old electronics were to fail

Even cruising long distance if you take a lightning strike, a couple backup handheld compasses are nice to have

It seems many on CF are planning to cruise or motoring the ICW. Old electronics is fine for this.

For offshore sailing, you could buy old backup electronics just like what's on your boat. Basically have a set of spares at very low cost

Picture of GPS like mine attached. Works great! And my Humminbird 200 Sx Depth finder
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GPS150.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	174932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Humminbird.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	174933  

Old 05-08-2018, 07:32   #56

Sure you can postpone it. It's going to need scraping anyway. In some harbors growth is so fast a boat will be loaded in 4-6 weeks. In others it wont get much in 1.5 years. There is no real detriment I'm aware of to the growth being on there if the boat isn't moving.
Zincs should be renewed though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:42   #57
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
...there's no reason you can't sail a clean bottom for years (decades) without any antifouling.
Anybody who believes this has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:16   #58

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 13:49   #59

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Unfortunately I have to point out that you and the member who gave you the thumbs up are both wrong. There are tons of racing boats - a la J boats - that sail more than most who keep unpainted bottoms. Closer to home for me, there’s a marina with a bunch of unpainted trimarans that sail as much as anybody w/o paint. I sailed an F31 for years without it; we just put our boats back up on trailers. I have a friend with a Catalina who puts that monster on a lift every weekend.

It can be done but requires certain circumstances.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 13:55   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeV View Post
Unfortunately I have to point out that you and the member who gave you the thumbs up are both wrong. There are tons of racing boats - a la J boats - that sail more than most who keep unpainted bottoms. Closer to home for me, there’s a marina with a bunch of unpainted trimarans that sail as much as anybody w/o paint. I sailed an F31 for years without it; we just put our boats back up on trailers. I have a friend with a Catalina who puts that monster on a lift every weekend.

It can be done but requires certain circumstances.
Geez, racers take super good care of the bottoms of their boats.

Like you said they are put on trailers. There's no comparison to boats that stay in the water

However, I'm thinking the OP is fine for a few months

Tags
paint