Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2013, 18:48   #1

Boat: Nantucket 33
Post curing an old boat.

So I have contacted a few companies in a couple of countries for various reasons that are supposed to be the top companies for de-lamination blister repair and reinforcement. Now when talking to them about their processes I was particularly looking for their opinion on post curing. Some do it some do t some say it works others say not to bother.

That's what I'm interested to know though from an unbiased opinion. Can an old polyester, GRP/FRP fiberglass (take your pick) boat still be post cured or is their a window of opportunity? On new construction I'm told to post cute within a week. So would post curing a boat at say 80-90 degree for several hours have any effect on a 25yo boat? The proponents of doing so claim 10-25%increase in hull strength from post curing even on an old boat. I just wonder if it would even work after that much time and if the GRP has pulled up water or their is moisture in the hull would that have any bearing on its success?
Thanks
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 08:11   #2
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Post curing an old boat.

No, there should not be anything like that much strength increase in post curing an old poly boat. It'll dry it out and remove contaminants though. Not worth doing for the reason stated. I operate a custom HotVac system.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 15:44   #3

Boat: Nantucket 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
No, there should not be anything like that much strength increase in post curing an old poly boat. It'll dry it out and remove contaminants though. Not worth doing for the reason stated. I operate a custom HotVac system.
Okay thank you.
I'm told though by post curing that you can also prevent osmosis/ hydrolization. Is there truth in that part?
And finally my thought was to post cure next time I haul out, by doing it in the hot summer in Australia and having them put the boat in a sunny spot, lightly mist black spray paint to collect radiant heat or use some foil blankets on the ground. Would this work?
I really should dry my hull out and had thought of trying to make my own HotVac as no one close by does it and then when they do its very costly here. When I quizzed the ones that do it seemed like they only kept the pads in one spot about half the time they do in England or the US.
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2013, 16:12   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Post curing an old boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischief View Post
Okay thank you.
I'm told though by post curing that you can also prevent osmosis/ hydrolization. Is there truth in that part?
And finally my thought was to post cure next time I haul out, by doing it in the hot summer in Australia and having them put the boat in a sunny spot, lightly mist black spray paint to collect radiant heat or use some foil blankets on the ground. Would this work?
I really should dry my hull out and had thought of trying to make my own HotVac as no one close by does it and then when they do its very costly here. When I quizzed the ones that do it seemed like they only kept the pads in one spot about half the time they do in England or the US.

Wonder who you quizzed? The pads must be moved every 24-48 hours, and the whole hull must be dried this way. Usually takes a week or so with our four pad setup. Many rigs only run two pads. We run four large ones. Post curing has nothing to do with preventing osmosis/hydrolyzation. Drying a wet layup has everything to do with it. Making your own Hotvac is doable. I've helped people make primitive versions before.

Check out this forum member's setup. Nicest home build I've seen.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ac-102611.html

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote